Jamie Burston

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Jamie Burston

Post by Pete Eeles »

Paul Harfield wrote:Hi Jamie

I am curious Jamie as to how exactly you use Google maps to find Elm Trees, could you give a bit more detail please.
Me too! Are you able to somehow select a time of year for the imagery that Google Maps uses?

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Could I be called a Conservation Artist? -

Check out my art prints and originals (my job), by making a purchase you will be supporting the conservation of the White-letter Hairstreak butterfly, a percentage from each sale will go towards disease-resistant elm trees. Visit my shop here: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/JamieBurstonArt
White-letter Hairstreak 'Thistle Feast' - Copy.jpg
White-letter Hairstreak 'Thistle Feast'

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Impressive. You have many strings to your bow, Jamie.

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

David M wrote:Impressive. You have many strings to your bow, Jamie.
Thank you David. I do own a violin :lol:
I'm waiting to hear back from a contact, then I will share what information I have collected for you, regarding elm locations in Wales, here in my diary.
Their replies unfortunately haven't been very specific, but should hopefully give you a couple of options.
All the best,
Jamie

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Back on 22nd April, I observed that the Brown Hairstreak eggs within Brighton, had now started to hatch.
Brown Hairstreak, Hatched Egg.JPG
Following this, I was amazed to actually locate one of the caterpillars nearby, a first for me. The length of the caterpillar was hovering around 1mm. I described to my friend Dave (David) Cook: "The Caterpillar was sitting on a yet expanded leaf, so the form of the leaf was tubular, with the caterpillar resting on the underside - as expected."
Brown Hairstreak Caterpillar.JPG
Returning to the same site yesterday (28th April),I was pleased to locate a second Brown Hairstreak caterpillar, pictured below - there are four hatched eggs on this same plant, plus another un-hatched egg, in this case, Wild Damson has been used. The two caterpillars now measuring 2mm in length. There is evident feeding damage to the leaves in my photo. Given their size, they were fairly active, moving about 2" in the short time I was there, occasionally taking up rather exposed locations.
Cat 2.JPG
For those that are worried :lol: that I have turned my back on the White-letter Hairstreak life-cycle, don't worry, though due to unfortunate circumstances my study site of two years is no longer suitable for undertaking detailed observations. I have located two White-letter Hairstreak caterpillars so far this year, at two different sites, one of which rightfully being Hollingbury Park.
White-letter Hairstreak egg.JPG
White-letter Hairstreak, hatched egg, Hollingbury Park, 14th April.
White-letter Hairstreak caterpillar.JPG
White-letter Hairstreak, caterpillar, 9mm in length, Brighton, 28th April.
Purple Hairstreak egg.JPG
Purple Hairstreak, hatched egg, Brighton, 19th April.

Purple Hairstreak caterpillar photo, hopefully to follow soon!
UPDATE: Purple Hairstreak, 3.5mm caterpillar, Brighton, 1st May.
Purple Hairstreak caterpillar.JPG
Back on 22nd April I saw my first Green Hairstreak of the year, though this was my only view :lol: :
Green Hairstreak.JPG
I really want to photograph a Green Hairstreak egg this year, I just need to observe an egg-laying female at a local site, wish me luck!

Brown Hairstreak, hatched egg on Wild Damson, Hollingbury Hill Fort, Brighton, 1st May.
IMG_7669 BH.JPG
Interesting fact, this egg and another I found higher on another branch, were laid just above an elevation of 584 feet (178 m) above sea level.

David M

Post by David M »

Nice early stages, Jamie. Many thanks too for the offer of information regarding elms. I shall look forward to that.

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Brighton Trio: Hair raising observations!

The following photos were all taken today: 9th May 2018
White-letter Hairstreak Cat.JPG
White-letter Hairstreak, caterpillar, on Wheatley elm.
Purple Hairstreak Cat.JPG
Purple Hairstreak, caterpillar, on English/ Pendunculate oak.
Brown Hairstreak Cat.JPG
Brown Hairstreak, caterpillar, on Wild Damson.

Thanks for looking.

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Great work Jamie, I don’t suppose many people have observed these three in the wild. Nice photos too, tiny caterpillars are not easy to photograph!

James

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:Great work Jamie, I don’t suppose many people have observed these three in the wild. Nice photos too, tiny caterpillars are not easy to photograph!

James
Thank you James, much appreciated! Perhaps not, it's a real joy to see the caterpillars interact with their natural surroundings, being of small size, they sure do shift when they want to. Purple Hairstreak caterpillars are the most challenging to photograph based on the fact that they love to stay amongst the cluttered debris of flowers, buds and leaves. It was tricky today, especially with the wind, you have to wait for some subsidence, otherwise it's too risky to approach the caterpillars, you don't want to knock them off! Stunning photos in the May forum page you posted, the Green Hairstreak shots were obviously appealing to me! :D :lol:

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Jamie Burston wrote:Stunning photos in the May forum page you posted, the Green Hairstreak shots were obviously appealing to me! :D :lol:
Very kind of you Jamie, I know we’re both big Hairstreak fans - but then again who isn’t!?

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Terrific shots Jamie, very interesting. :D

David M

Post by David M »

Great larval images again, Jamie, clearly showing the difference between the species.

You seem to have got this to a fine art!

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

David M, for you -

Elm in Wales:

Lots of wych elm at Penllergare Valley Woods a few years ago - it's just off Gower, by Junction 47 of the M4.
A line of elms at SS62393 97982.
Also in survey areas with central grid refs SS625 984, SS625 0983, SS623 980, SS623978.

Dutch elm is common around Bridgend, there is supposedlly a lot of Ulmus minor in Pembrokeshire, there's some in South East Wales, and there's a fair amount of English elm, there, too.

I learnt only last week of the occurrence of some mature Ulmus laevis in Carmarthenshire. Whether they host WLH has not been ascertained. There are 4 equidistant trees along the east side of the A4069 about 1km south of Llangadog, at the start of an 's' bend, between the hamlets of Brynheilog and Pont Goch. Another moribund laevis struggles on in a park at Llandeilo. Further north near Aberystwyth, two trees are found in a wood at Rhydyfelin. OS Landranger refs below:
Carmarthenshire

Llandeilo, Dinefwr Park , aged, moribund tree SN617225

Llangadog, 4 trees along A4069 SN709268

Ceredigion

Aberystwyth, Rhydyfelin, 2 trees + numerous suckers SN593793

Wish you all the best if you do go and search any of these area!

Jamie
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

David, in addition to the above records, please send me a DM with your email address, as I'll be able to put you in contact with someone who can send you further grid references to the location of elms within the Gower!
David M

Post by David M »

Jamie, many thanks for this priceless information. I shall be doing some research on the grid references you provided and will certainly be heading out to them to check them out.

I shall PM you shortly.
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

David M wrote:Jamie, many thanks for this priceless information. I shall be doing some research on the grid references you provided and will certainly be heading out to them to check them out.

I shall PM you shortly.
You're most welcome David. Fantastic, really pleased to hear.
I'll await your PM.
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Purple

During the winter I marked up the location of 7 Purple Hairstreak eggs on a local Oak tree in Brighton.

Visiting the Oak on the 28th March I found that eggs 2, 4 and 6 (of the 7) had already hatched and egg 3 appeared to be in the process of hatching, with a small opening hole in the micropyle.

The following day on the 29th March when I returned, egg 3 had now hatched, the caterpillar appearing to have emerged during the night or early morning whilst I wasn't there. Now egg 5 was also in the process of hatching, again having noted a small opening hole in the micropyle.

By 6:32pm the next day (30th March), when I had the chance to visit, looking at egg 5, it was clear that the caterpillar had hatched, however I was unable to locate the caterpillar, much the same with the others that had already emerged.

On the 31st March, visiting the Oak at 8:03pm I noted that egg 7 was in the hatching process, with the distinctive small opening hole in the micropyle, visible in the fading light.

On the 1st April at around 6:55pm, upon my arrival, I had confirmation that egg 7 had indeed hatched.

The last egg, egg 1, is the last to hatch, though due to its clear grey discolouration it may prove to not be viable. (As of 5th April, egg 1 still hasn't hatched).

Purple Hairstreak Egg: The Hatching Process
PH Hatching.jpg
The middle, pre-emergence stage is only something I've managed to observe this year. You can make out the shiny black head of the caterpillar through the small opening in the micropyle: notice this, caterpillars are due to emerge the same night / early next morning!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Very interesting information Jamie, especially the tip about the head being visible through the micropyle :D How high up are eggs in the Oak Tree - I have visions of you balancing up a step ladder :shock: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Superb observations, Jamie, particularly the middle image where the larva is still in the egg case.

Return to “Personal Diaries”