Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David. They habitually keep low during the warmth of the day, but start to sit up high on deadheads to sunbathe just before roosting. That's the time to nail 'em!

Hi Mark. Let me know if/when you head this way - we might be able to squeeze in an early PBF or two.

BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Black Beauty

About a dozen Grizzled Skipper at Mill Hill today (25 April), but star of the show was a stunning black Adder. I spent a couple of hours stalking it and watched it hunting a Common Lizard and taking a drink from wet Bramble leaves after an April shower.
BC Black Adder (4) Mill Hill 25.4.18.jpg
BC Black Adder (3) Mill Hill 25.4.18.jpg
BC Black Adder (2) Mill Hill 25.4.18.jpg
BC Black Adder (1) Mill Hill 25.4.18.jpg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

What an absolutely splendid reptile, Neil. Is there a black strain in the population at Mill Hill (I think you may have mentioned them before?).

Cheers,

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:Hi David. They habitually keep low during the warmth of the day, but start to sit up high on deadheads to sunbathe just before roosting. That's the time to nail 'em!
Thanks for the heads-up, Neil. Sadly, this species isn't too common near me so visiting a site at such an hour may prove difficult, but I'll certainly be aware henceforth.

Beautiful adder by the way.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, both.
Dave - melanistic (black) Adders occur quite widely, usually in relatively low numbers, but some populations throw up quite a high proportion. Black individuals heat up quickly, so may gain an advantage over those with the standard grey or brown colouration; they can be active, and feeding or mating, at lower temperatures. However, they are less well camouflaged, so may be susceptible to a higher rate of predation.
BWs, Neil

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

I've just learned something from reading your post, Neil - fieldcraft is something I need to develop!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

UGH! NEIL, not my cup of tea at all :roll: I'll keep to Butterflies :lol: Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Neil, though I may have to wait for a break in the weather! Brilliant black adder, I saw one a few years ago at the bottom of Mill Hill slope, a male.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

The Apprentice

Yesterday (28 April) I took my daughter for a late afternoon wildlife hunt on the lower slopes of Mill Hill. We arrived at c.5 pm, after the other visitors had left, so had the site to ourselves. I soon found 4 Grizzled Skipper roosting on deadheads, Wild Privet and Bramble, then set Mia the challenge of finding more. She found another 4 with very little help, together with a few Pyrausta despicata and P. nigrata. A short burst of warm sunshine encouraged a couple of the skippers to briefly open up and fidget, but none took to the air. Hopefully I'll be training Mia to hunt for roosting Dukes and Pearls later this week.
BC Grizzled Skipper (male) Mill Hill 28.4.18.jpg
Male
BC Grizzled Skipper (female) Mill Hill 28.4.18.jpg
Female - one of Mia's finds

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Shame you didn't arrive a little earlier, I only managed two during a few hours but had to leave before the main bulk of sun sadly :(

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi bugboy

I'm in the advantageous position of living just down the road, so can keep a close eye on the weather. We passed you walking back from the site, but were too pushed for time to stop for a chat (we got into trouble anyway :( ). Still plenty of time for a return, as Dingy is yet to emerge here and Green Hairstreak has barely started.

I suspect that Thursday will be the tipping point.

BWs, Neil

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You're very lucky living in that part of the world Neil :mrgreen: !

Got a week off from the 7th so things should be well underway by then, as long as the weather has decided what it's doing! This Tuesday looks good though I'll probably stay a little closer to home.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Superb underside shots of malvae, Neil. The pyrgus genus is particularly fascinating to me and I know only too well how difficult it is to get the kind of images you have secured there.

I shall apply your science to my forthcoming trips to France and will be on the lookout for members of this genus preparing to roost at the times you have noted.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, great shots of the GS, I'm going to Loggerhead CP in North Wales to see it shortly, hope I can Manage too! Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Black Adder and Grizzlies Neil :D The Grizzlies haven't even made an appearance in Wiltshire yet :mrgreen: , hopefully this weekend :) I'm surprised that you still got into trouble, I always add and extra 30 minutes onto my ETAAH (estimated arrival at home) so I always turn up early and so earn some extra Brownie points :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi bugboy. I don't want to tempt fate, but that should be the right week to take off.

Thanks, David. The Grizzles hung up high again before roosting this evening.

Thanks, Goldie. Don't go looking too soon; Mill Hill is an unusually 'early' site even for (usually) Sunny Sussex. Good luck!

Thanks, Wurzel. I'll start to worry when I'm not in trouble! I took both my kids to a Bluebell wood on Sunday. They enjoyed it so much we were more than two hours late home :D .

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Still Struggling

The (modest) upturn in the weather is still insufficient to really get spring underway and all but the warmest Sussex sites are steadfastly refusing to produce more than a few hibernators and modest numbers of Whites, Speckled Wood and, locally, the Holly Blue. A search of Rewell Wood today suggested that we are still a few days away from seeing the first Pearl-bordered Fritillary of the season. The site looks great, but the best it could offer was a couple of female Orange-tips.

I later returned to the slopes of Mill Hill, currently our only site producing reports of Grizzled Skipper, although they must be out on Levin Down. However, even here, a hiatus between the first wave of skippers and the main course has opened up, with fewer seen (5) than on previous visits, as the early individuals run out of steam; still no Dingy Skipper and the solitary Green Hairstreak has disappeared.

The butterfly season is currently running about two weeks behind the 21st century average, but the promised warm and sunny Bank Holiday should finally stir things up.
BC Orange-tip (female) Rewell Wood 1.5.18.jpg
BC Grizzled Skipper (1) Mill Hill 1.5.18.jpg
BC Grizzled Skipper (2) Mill Hill 1.5.18.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

You're right, of course, Neil. Spring is still reluctant to get going. I noticed from a local report that Grizzlies were out at the south Wales site near Porthcawl so I'm sure your area will be buzzing with them by this time next week.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Grizzled Skippers Neil, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'll wait while next week and see what the weather produces before I venture to North Wales but David says they're out in South Wales so maybe I'll be lucky. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Grizzlie shots Neil :mrgreen: , still none in Wiltshire, we seem to get the bad weather from both sides :( Does the late running of the season put back your estimate of the Pearls arriving at Bentley Wood?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”