Grizzled Skipper - Nottingham/Loughborough

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Jonny721

Grizzled Skipper - Nottingham/Loughborough

Post by Jonny721 »

I am going to be working in the midlands a lot in the coming couple of months so am hoping to finally be able to catch up with Grizzled Skipper, being from further north means it's a species I've never had the opportunity to look for before.

From the research I have done there seems to be a few colonies left in the area between Nottingham and Loughborough so I was hoping somebody on this forum might be able to provide some more detailed information on specific sites.

Cheers
Jonathan
Tony Moore

Re: Grizzled Skipper - Nottingham/Loughborough

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi Jonny,

If you can get a bit further west, there is a brilliant site near Stone, Staffs at Swynnerton Army Camp. We saw 60+ in a couple of hours two years ago. It is a closed site, but local butterfliers usually arrange a visit at peak emergence time. The guy who normally sorts it is John Bryan - <johnpbryan15@aol.com>. Drop him a line; if he's going this year, I'm sure you would be welcome to come along.

Tony M.
Jonny721

Post by Jonny721 »

Unfortunately that is too far to the west of where I am based during the week.

Anybody got any info for sites closer to my requested area?
Jonny721

Post by Jonny721 »

Nobody? I'll be down that way this Tuesday/Wednesday and given the weather this weekend I'm hoping to connect with the species if I can find a site

Return to “Sites”