Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Andrew555

Re: Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Neil. :D Absolutly, if I hadn't caught it flying behind the tree there is no chance I would have seen it, and I do keep half an eye on tree trunks. :)

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

July 2017 (cont)

From my last summer visit to Dorset, starting as always with Portland. :D

My usual modus operandi is to park up somewhere near the coastal path and then walk the circumference of the Isle.
From fields near the Admiralty Quarries, Marbled White, Six-spot Burnet moth and Chalkhill Blue.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Into Grayling territory at Tout Quarry.
4.jpg
I tried some burst shots to see if I could catch the upper wing of any Graylings that flew away from me. Not the best quality (the fastest mode takes reduced MP count shots) but interesting nonetheless.
5.jpg
At their usual spot amoungst these yellow flowers, Large and Small White.
6.jpg
7.jpg
There were a number of Painted Ladies along the south east coastal path section. A rest and fuel stop after a channel crossing perhaps ?
8-1.jpg
I'd argue there are few butterflies that look as good in the sunshine as a PL.
8-2.jpg
Completing Portland, Wall, one of those face in the dirt shots :D, and a Dusky Sallow moth.
8-3.jpg
9.jpg
A couple of moths spotted at Lodmoor Country Park, Weymouth. Jersey Tiger and Dark or Grey Dagger (apparently they look the same).
12.jpg
13.jpg
Feed meh! Goldfinches at Lodmoor.
14.jpg
Lastly, Peacock take near Sherborne and Wall near Durdle Door, Lulworth.
15.jpg
16.jpg
One more post should finish off 2017 I reckon. :D

Cheers
Last edited by Andrew555 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great Grayling shot, I always end up with grass blades in the way.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some great shots there and your 2017 review should finish just in time for the 2018 one to start properly...fingers crossed.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another great report Andrew, looking forward to the final 2017 one and then some 2018 stuff :D Those Grayling shots are mighty fine, I wouldn't mind a few like that meself :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Andrew, :mrgreen: I'm looking forward to your 2018 shots Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Trevor, not a problem on Portland. You mostly see them on rocks or stony paths, and if you're lucky a flower. :D

Thanks Bugboy, almost perfect timing! 8) Although this year I will try to keep up. :D

Cheers Wurzel, it's a great place to see them. :D

Thanks a lot Goldie, not too long now hopefully. :D

David M

Post by David M »

That Grayling upperside combo is mightily impressive, Andrew, and I also especially like the Peacock and Wall Brown shots. I hope you get the opportunity to put your camera work to good use very soon with 2018's line up!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks David, I hope so too. :D Lets have no more nonsense from the east.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Jul - Oct 2017

Some highlights from the remainder of 2017.

Dene Park, just north of Tonbridge in Kent, is my nearest Emperor site. No grounded individuals for me as yet but
plenty of Purple Hairstreak activity on this day. Mostly up high, occasionally one or two would venture lower.
1.jpg
At nearby Shipbourne, this field with it's patches of Thistle was well worth checking.
Small Copper, Gatekeeper and Meadow Brown.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
I was walking through BC White Hill on a sunny afternoon when I saw a flash of yellow, there was a Clouded feeding
on the Knapweed! Any thoughts of slowly approaching were quickly dismissed, this butterfly wasn't hanging around,
spending 2 or 3 seconds on each flower before moving on to the next. But not the next door plant, one a good few
meters further on. I was literally running to keep up, fumbling with my camera to get a few shots. :lol:
Then it reached a high hedge, flew up and over and was gone. A handful of shots came out ok and revealed a lovely female.
This was the 2nd Clouded Yellow I saw in north Kent last year, a short but sweet encounter, and my favourite of 2017. :D
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Finishing 2017 where my UKB 'career' began, at High and Over in Sussex where Trevor showed me the Wall's (thanks once more :D ).

The view north east over the Cuckmere River to Windover Hill, Friston Forest on the right.
14.JPG
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.JPG
Looking forward to this years sights. :D

Cheers

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Andrew :D Especially like the Walls and the back-lit Cloudy is just brill :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

A great selection, Andrew - I am looking forward to your adventures in 2018 too. :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Loving the Wall shots Andrew and the Cloudy Yellow ones, love their different shapes when on the flowers especially the Walls Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Loving those summer images, Andrew. Won't be too long before those conditions return.

Well done with the part open wing Cloudie as well as the Wall Brown sequence.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Wurzel. I was well chuffed to see that Cloudy. :D

Appreciate it Dave. :D

Thanks a lot Goldie. I'm with you! Love the different angles and shapes you get when they are feeding. :D

Thanks David. I was very happy to get that partial shot. But still couldn't help wishing I had both wings in view! :D

Cheers

trevor

Post by trevor »

Two Purple Hairstreaks together is definitely worth a mrgreen :mrgreen: .
Last year was incredible for them.

trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:Two Purple Hairstreaks together is definitely worth a mrgreen :mrgreen: .
Yes, I neglected to comment on that such was my admiration for the Cloudie and the Wall.

Getting one individual in shot is an effort but two is worth 6 of most other UK species. Well done.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Trevor and David, Lady Luck smiled on me that day. :D
You can't really tell from the pic but they had their proboscis in the same small acorn.

Cheers

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Despite the best attempts of my local weather to deny me, I managed to break my photographic duck for this year on Saturday at White Hill.
At first, under gloomy skies, there was nothing. But I hung around and some brightness brought out a couple of male Brimstones.
After patroling for a bit, one of them settled on some Ivy at the edge of the nearby wood, and it stayed put long enough for a few shots.
Feels good. :D

Cheers
1.jpg
2.jpg
Last edited by Andrew555 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cloudy weather can sometimes be a good thing as it makes normally hyper butterflies settle down a bit :wink: , great shots Andrew :D Is it just me or do Brimstones seem even more vivid in gloomy weather? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”