March 2018

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

March 2018

Post by David M »

Looking out at conditions outside, with snow, wind and freezing temperatures, it's hard to reconcile oneself with the reality that March will provide the overwhelming majority of us with our first butterfly sightings of 2018!

Things can change pretty quickly, and once we have got through this unseasonably dire spell, I hope that conditions will return to normal, and by the time the equinox arrives, our winged friends will be yet again re-established in the countryside.

Good luck!
Chris Jackson

Re: March 2018

Post by Chris Jackson »

We're only slightly better off in the South of France, David, at the moment, with the last of the snow and wind today (1st of March).
It is only a question of days now.
By the 2nd March, it will suddenly be milder down here, with 8°C in the morning and up to 15°C in Perpignan in the afternoon. These temperatures are more typical of the season.
According to my records, last year I saw my first Swallowtail on 22nd February, and my first Green Hairstreak on 3rd March, so we're lagging slightly this year.
Patience. We are getting there.
My tally is still #6 so far, including hibernators and over-winterers, for 2018.
Chris
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

This thread seems to be very quiet so far this month.
We had our first Peacock of the year show up yesterday near Musselburgh at a location we are just about to try to enhance to encourage Graylings. Strangely, the Countryside Ranger had a meeting with a contractor who was going to scrape away the top soil prior to us adding gravel. As he was talking to the contractor a Peacock landed on the ground next to them!
peterc

Post by peterc »

At Six Hills Common, one White-letter Hairstreak egg has hatched (since 25 Feb) but I was unable to find any caterpillars. Will check again in the next few days.

ATB

Peter
Attachments
White-letter Hairstreak hatched egg Six Hills 9 Mar 18
White-letter Hairstreak hatched egg Six Hills 9 Mar 18
Medard

My first of the year.

Post by Medard »

My first Peacock for the year 11-03-2018 seen in sunny Somerset.
DEC_4956.jpg
http://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Also my first of the year:
Dsc03259.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Good to see things getting moving...albeit very slowly.

Hopefully this next week to ten days will see the season lift off properly?
IAC

Post by IAC »

Not an awful lot to report up here in the Scottish Borders, though I did see 1 Peacock in Berwick-upon Tweed Thursday past. Meanwhile I have been making do with some of the potential for this summer in the shape of White-letter Hairstreak Satyrium w-album ssp. scotica haha
Attachments
055 (2).JPG
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Plenty of activity with good numbers of Wall Brown larva. The attached was from this morning. I guess it had been feeding on the blade of grass until the rain came, but he decided to sit it out and get a little wet!!

A wet Wall Brown larva. Seaford 12/3/2018.
A wet Wall Brown larva. Seaford 12/3/2018.
more at http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.co.uk
gazillion

Post by gazillion »

Just saw a White butterfly in Cambridge, near Addenbrookes. Didn't know Whites would be active this early, but too pale for Brimstone. It flew along some short grass then up and over a large building into the blue sky :-)
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

On a birding trip to Leybourne Lakes Country Park , New Hythe , Kent , 2 male Brimstone , enjoying the weak sunshine .
_MG_1216.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

gazillion wrote:Just saw a White butterfly in Cambridge, near Addenbrookes. Didn't know Whites would be active this early, but too pale for Brimstone. It flew along some short grass then up and over a large building into the blue sky :-)
Gazillion, at this time of year Brimstones can be quite faded, and a female can appear like a White from a distance. That said, it wouldn't be out of the question for a Small or Large White to be on the wing. Every year sees a few emerge abnormally early, possibly due to them hibernating at the pupal stage in artificially warm places, such as greenhouses.
David M

Post by David M »

Mainly clear skies and 10c temperatures tempted me out at work today during my lunchtime.

The wild areas within 5 minutes walk are usually good for early Small Tortoiseshells and I duly saw two:
1STortpair(1).jpg
Two male Brimstones were also seen, albeit flying incessantly. However, I also observed a female Brimstone, and she was much more amenable, coming down on a pile of wood splinters:
1Brimfemale(1).jpg
peterc

Post by peterc »

I found another Purple Hairstreak egg on the oak where I discovered the first one in November but what is the 'thing' next to it?

All the best

Peter
Attachments
PH egg Cowley's Corner Wood 14Mar18 cropped
PH egg Cowley's Corner Wood 14Mar18 cropped
Last edited by peterc on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

peterc wrote:I found another Purple Hairstreak egg on the oak where I discovered the first one in November but what is the 'thing' next to it?

All the best

Peter
Hi Peter, I can't seem to click on the image to get a closer look at what your are referring to :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
peterc

Post by peterc »

bugboy wrote:
peterc wrote:I found another Purple Hairstreak egg on the oak where I discovered the first one in November but what is the 'thing' next to it?

All the best

Peter
Hi Peter, I can't seem to click on the image to get a closer look at what your are referring to :?
There seems to be a problem with the image - I will report it

Peter
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

My 1st Butterfly sighting of 2018...Yesterday 14/3/2018, 1.15pm, location - Kent.

I almost stepped on this basking Red Admiral! It took flight, but landed close by, on the woodland floor.
I thought i would see either a Comma or Peacock, in this woodland area that i was visiting,
so i was a little surprised by the Red Admiral! It looks to be in good condition too.

Good sightings of some sort of day flying Moths(high above the tree tops) but they would not come down to land.
I would say 5+ moths were seen, orange colour, small in size.

Also seen - 1 male Adder, 2 Slow Worms, 5 Common Lizards.

Cheers Paul.

Photo of Red Admiral, image is not cropped.
14th-March-2018-600a.jpg
Catteraxe

Post by Catteraxe »

A Red Admiral spotted in the back garden this morning down here in Newport (South Wales).

Kevin.
David M

Post by David M »

Testudo Man wrote:My 1st Butterfly sighting of 2018...

Photo of Red Admiral, image is not cropped.
And a nice-looking specimen it is too! I've been surprised at the regularity of Red Admiral sightings over the last week given the polar blast at the beginning of March. I fancied that would have accounted for most of them.
peterc

Post by peterc »

peterc wrote:
bugboy wrote:

All the best

Peter
There seems to be a problem with the image - I will report it

Peter
Thanks for pointing out the problem, Paul. I've replaced image with a cropped version.

Peter

Return to “Sightings”