Gary.N

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Gary.N

Re: Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Thankyou Trevor,
It was also good to see you at the AGM on Saturday. Hope to see you in the spring at Abbot’s or Rowlands.

Thankyou Pete,
It was also nice to meet you in person at last and hopefully I’ll have more observations next time we meet. There’s too little information out there about the Pearls. (one of the better pictures of us by the way, thankyou)

Thankyou Wurzel,
The shots of the Reds were a nice end to the season. Hadn’t seen much elsewhere but there were 7 Reds in the garden. A very good end.

Thankyou Bugboy.

Thankyou David.

Thankyou Andrew,
We may have spoken on the Heath. I am up there most weekends during the summer. And not a better place to be. Well may be Abbot’s or Rowlands in late May and August.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Until Friday I thought spring was around the corner and so did the PBF's Theresa and I are looking after (See next post). So I thought I would post some photo that I missed from 2017.
IH9A7776-Edit-2-Edit.png
IH9A7771.png
Grizzled Ab.marginoelongata.png
I think this Grizzled is Ab.marginoelongata. Anyone?
Cblue.png
Brimstone.png
SPBF.png

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

The PBF's for this year Fritillary of the Future Project have come out of hibernation just over a week ago. Around about the 15th February. I found them Basking on top of the Bracken in there Pots. Looks like someone told them it is spring, but forgot to tell them about the snow next week. Silly things. :mrgreen:

Here is some photos taken over the past week or so.
PBF 1.png
PBF 2.png
PBF 3.png
PBF 4.png
PBF 5.png
PBF 6.png
PBF 7.png
PBF 8.png
PBF 9.png
PBF 10.png
PBF 11.png
PBF 12.png
The last photo was taken today (25th February 2018) at 2:45pm. I was freezing just taking the photo. It was a chilly 3 degree C in the sun. Doesn't look like the cold bothers them. Their are crazy. The Violet was petty good shape 15 minutes before that shot.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Great stuff Gary, I expect they are getting through violets a at tremendous rate!

ATB

James

David M

Post by David M »

Heart warming images, Gary, and may I wish you every success in raising them so they can contribute directly to the project?

Probably a good job they're not out in the wild right now, with sub zero temperatures on the cards for that part of the UK.

Keep them safe!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great shots Gary, fantastic detail in that last SPBF image. :D
Best of luck with the project.

Cheers

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Gary :D The Green-veined opener is a cracker :D Any chance of sprinkling some cats over Bentley Wood?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:Great stuff Gary, I expect they are getting through violets a at tremendous rate!

ATB

James
Thanks James they are mean eating machine. You blink and you would miss seeing the Violet.
David M wrote:Heart warming images, Gary, and may I wish you every success in raising them so they can contribute directly to the project?

Probably a good job they're not out in the wild right now, with sub zero temperatures on the cards for that part of the UK.

Keep them safe!
I'll keep them safe. Thanks David.
Andrew555 wrote:Great shots Gary, fantastic detail in that last SPBF image. :D

Cheers
Thanks Andrew. May want to drop the S. They are PBF's cats.
Wurzel wrote:Great set of shots Gary :D The Green-veined opener is a cracker :D Any chance of sprinkling some cats over Bentley Wood?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel. Would love too sprinkle some cats over Bentley Wood, but not allowed at the moment.

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

The cats would like to say thankyou to Trevor for the Violet he gave them. They enjoyed munching them, as there is now none left. Little Oliver said more please. :D :D :D

They were still out in the cold and grey at 8:45am yesterday morning, munching away.
Cat1.png
Had a very muddy walk at Abbot's today. Started off cloudy, but for a lovely hour and a half the sun came out. And I saw 1 Brimstone, 2 Comma's and a Peacock.
Brimstone.png
Comma 1.png
Comma 3.png
Comma 4.png
Comma 5.png

trevor

Post by trevor »

Heart lifting stuff Gary, on two fronts.
I'm glad the Violets are being enjoyed, and that Abbots wood has started to wake up.

If you need more Violets let me know !, I will need to lift more plants.

Great Comma shots.
Trevor.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

And so it begins :D

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Andrew555 wrote:Great shots Gary, fantastic detail in that last SPBF image. :D

Cheers
" Thanks Andrew. May want to drop the S. They are PBF's cats. "

I was talking about the previous set of shots Gary. :o :D

Great to see those Abbot's pics. :D

Cheers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic Gary, great shots and welcome news that some ones seeing Butterflies at last :D Goldie :D

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Sorry Andrew, Brain not with it at the moment. I am organizing and moving the wood factory I work for at the moment. Stress is getting to me and I have no time to think.

Thank Goldie.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see Brimstones and Commas from your recent post Gary :D It looks like spring is starting albeit very, very slowly :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Thanks Wurzel, but snow forecast for next weekend. Spring is on hold again :cry:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just checked my app and yep some snow possible :shock: Just when things were picking up :roll: Oh well when it does get here Spring should be brill :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Great to see things finally waking up, Gary. Nice shot of the male Brimstone (it's rare to see them sit still at this time of year!)

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

PBF Update

Saturday there was a few minutes of sunshine and the PBF's came out for a quick feed before it disappeared. They are 4th and final instar now and growing fast despite the rubbish weather of the past few weeks.
PBF 1.png
PBF 2.png
PBF 3.png
PBF 4.png

trevor

Post by trevor »

I agree about the rubbish weather, Gary, I don't think I will see any PBF on April 18th this year.
I must say that your PBF cats. are looking fit and healthy, hopefully we will see the finished
article flying in May, when Winter has finally ended.

See you around,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”