Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Goldie M

Post by bugboy »

Great shots of that Sparrowhawk. The orangy barring visible on his underparts and his face distinguish him from his mate which has black barring. She is also about a third larger in size meaning she preys on larger birds like Thrushes. I had a female zoom past me, about 2 inches of the ground, on my local patch a couple of months ago. The action all happened far to quick for me to capture on camera but, in a puff of feathers, a Blackbird never made it into 2018 :shock:

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Andrew, it certainly was but the Hawks pay regular visits to the garden, I've only seen them capture a couple of birds, the birds seem to have got wise to them because they come very early and I've got loads of Ever Green bushes which they always head for first. :D

Thanks for that info bugboy, I've been looking back at my shots of the Sparrow Hawk, I took a shot in 2015 which I think from what you've said is a Female , it's the only one of a Female I've got and was also taken on the fence in the back garden, they've been coming each year, all Male 's by the look of my shots but I must say the one I took yesterday was the most handsome.
I've posted the Female shot because like you said she does look much bigger. Goldie :D
Attachments
Sparrow Hawk 2015
Sparrow Hawk 2015

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of Sparrowhawk shots Goldie, you've really captured the pinky orange 'blusher' that the male wears :D :mrgreen: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, he was a really handsome Bird, I've got into the habit now of having the camera with me when in the kitchen just in case some thing unusual arrives in the garden, this time it paid off. :D Butterflies next I hope. Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well! we got some snow but not too bad, we thought we'd see lots more , we'll see what happens in the rest of the week. :D

I took a shot of my crocus , they still looked good even in the snow :D My Tulips also could be affected with the severe cold I hope not but they're well on their way up so I'll have to cover them tonight :(

I also saw lots of Bird's in the garden, I couldn't help but include a couple of shots , soon be Spring , :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_9691.jpg
fullsizeoutput_8ace.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8ad3.jpeg
IMG_9696.jpg
IMG_9676.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to your Blackbird back Goldie :D This crazy weather is set to last on into next week as well so get the fleece out for your bulbs as Spring is most definitely on hold :( Mind you the wait will be worth it :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, we've been lucky so far with the Snow , it's not been has bad in Lancashire has in Cumbria , they've had it really bad,
last time it was a Winter like this I saw the Small Pearl BF ab in early June at Gait Barrow, they think the cause was caused by the cold in it's early stages , I'll be up there again in early June :lol: Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for keeping our spirits up with the variety of birds visiting you, Goldie. Although it's officially spring today, it feels more like a particularly bad January day. It's hard to believe butterflies will be on the wing quite soon. Let's hope they can ride this Siberian spell out!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, I'm hoping the Butterflies won't suffer and will do better by leaving it later to appear, I was just thinking how bad it would have been for them to have put in an appearance earlier. :D
In my garden this morning I spotted this Thrush which was hiding under my Fir Tree , it made a quick appearance then went quickly back under the tree. The wind was so bad we'd to use the window door to go into the garden to break the ice so the birds could get some water , the wind took my door right out of my hand when I tried to use the side door and I see some fencing as gone, Wow! what a Winter! Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_8ae8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8ae9.jpeg

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Nice stuff Goldie. :) The wind has been giving me trouble as well, exploiting the smallest weakness in my window seals. :x

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Andrew, I just hope this wind will drop and we'll get a bit warmer the poor birds are really being hit hard here with tree's down and car's off the road and some parts of the motorways closed UGH! Where has Spring gone !!! :( Goldie :roll:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Just caught up with your Sparrowhawk photos, love the second shot with his golden eyes looking straight at you :D

Up until today we had missed the worst of the snow here in my bit of the midlands but we are copping it now.

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Neil, he was certainly an handsome Hawk, :D We've had awful winds here and the Snow funnily enough was blown off the road where we live onto the Gardens so cars were able to move but if you did it was risky. We went shopping last Monday and we've not moved since :D Hope fully it will get better soon, can't belong now Neil we're in March :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Greta shots of the Song Thrush Goldie :D The snows almost gone from round my way so hopefully it'll be full steam ahead to Spring :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely to see Thrushes thriving, Goldie. This species was common when I was a kid, and although I saw precious few in my thirties, since I have lived in the Gower countryside (since 2014) I'm pleased to say I see plenty and long may that continue.

Here's hoping the wintry weather will disappear and we can all concentrate on our winged invertebrate friends!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Wurzel and David, I'm always excited to see the Thrush as we don't seem to see many until Spring arrives, so when we spotted this one it was like a message saying Spring won't be long now. :D To confirm this, today we've had showers and Sunshine and the Snow has all gone :lol: also Mr and Mrs Chaffinch arrived, she watched him safely from the tree whilst he checked out the Garden :lol: and the Robin kept an eye on them both, :D Won't be long now! Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_8b57.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8b54.jpeg
Chaffinch Male 5th March 2018 (1).jpg
Chaffinch Male 5th March 2018.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of Mr and Mrs Goldie,though I reckon Mr looks less pleased at being 'papped' :wink: :D
Not long now surely...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, just when I thought we were okay weather wise the Snow arrived again :( It's afternoon now and most of it as gone but with freezing fog forecast for tonight we're still in it for a while, surely it can't last much longer now :( Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

At last we can see the light of day :D ( Some Sunshine ) :D No Butterflies yet , but I've got my Camera primed and ready :D

The birds have definitely got going, quite a lot of Gold finch in my tree yesterday and I found an unusual discovery of one of my nesting box's with the makings of a nest not inside the box but on top of it :D has i watched Blue Tit's were checking it out so I can only think it could be them, it does seem rather large for Blue Tit's though.
Any way it does look like Springs arrived I've even got daffodils nearly ready for opening out in a sheltered part of the garden, just waiting for the Butterflies now but lots to do in the garden first. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_8c90.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8c91.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8c8e.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Charming charm of Goldfinches Goldie (I've always wanted to write that) :D Hopefully a delayed will pay dividends in the end but I've had enough waiting now! :? Come on Spring get sprung!
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”