Advice Required For Dutch Butterfly Sites Please

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Paul Harfield

Advice Required For Dutch Butterfly Sites Please

Post by Paul Harfield »

I will visiting Holland for a few days at the end of March. I am hoping to spend some time looking for butterflies, if the weather is accommodating of course.
Our visit will be based around Werkhoven (nr Utrecht) with planned visits to Vlaardingen (nr Amsterdam) and Otterlo. I am really after recommendations for good sites and advice about what species am I likely to see :?:
David M

Re: Advice Required For Dutch Butterfly Sites Please

Post by David M »

Paul, I don't claim to be an authority on Dutch butterflies but I presume, given that you'll be visiting in late March, that adult overwinterers will be all you can reasonably expect to see.

Apart from those species that are present in the UK, I guess you will have, depending on where you spend your time, chances of seeing the likes of QoS Frit, Map, Camberwell Beauty and maybe a few others if you're lucky.
Paul Harfield

Re: Advice Required For Dutch Butterfly Sites Please

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks David.

Yes you are probably correct in what you say, I will be praying for some decent weather and not setting my hopes too high. I have been looking at the Dutch butterfly conservation website, it is a bit difficult to navigate using google translate. The translations lead me to believe that the situation there is more dire than it is in the UK. Quite a large number of species being lost in recent years and several more threatened with extinction.

Of the butterflies you mention: Apparently Queen of Spain rarely overwinters in the Netherlands and is more of a summer visitor. Map apparently overwinters as a pupa (or Doll! in google translate). I also note that Large Tortoiseshell is an extreme rarity close to extinction, I am probably more likely to see Scarce Tortoiseshell. That's all if google translate is accurate of course. I would be happy with a Camberwel Beauty though :wink:

Return to “Sites”