Priddy Mineries under threat?

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
eccles

Priddy Mineries under threat?

Post by eccles »

I have written to my MP about the following:
http://www.priddy-canine.org.uk/
Piers

Re: Priddy Mineries under threat?

Post by Piers »

Hi Eccles,

Priddy Mineries (as well as the old lead mining area at Chaterhouse - already little more that a doggy toilet!) is an old stomping ground of mine...

Who hosts this site? (just in case it's just another forum for 'hunt bashing') as it does seem to be somewhat anti the local hunt in general... There is an awful lot of arable land (some pretty much abandoned) in the Priddy area that is already used my MF Hunt, what's the evidence that they shall all of a sudden start using the Mineries?

Cheers,

Felix.
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

CANINE is hosted by a member of the BEC (Bristol Exploration Club). Their HQ/Bunkhouse is situated next to the Mineries by the public footpath from the South.
Personally, I don't think that the Hounds would be exercised on the Mineries, although what is now a quiet spot (enjoyed by a number of users of this website) would become very noisy with kennels on its edge. There are a number of other issues discussed on the website, some I would agree would affect Priddy negatively, some less so.
AH
zail

Post by zail »

Hello,

just joined this group and was searching for refences to Priddy Mineries to try and identify a Fritillary I saw up there and was interested to see this thread...

Just to let you know - the hounds are already being exercised over the Mineries in advance of any plans on Underbarrow farm being approved - the campaign group have evidence to prove this.

Also, the campaign are not anti hunt - they are only anti the siting of the kennels in an unsuitable place which needs lots of development (which may have a polluting effect on the mineries) and the theat that the hounds may have on the ecosystem at the Mineries. If they were I wouldn't be supporting them. I am not a resident of Priddy but I do value the Mineries for their peace and quiet (a nice escape from Bristol where I live and work) and the amazing biodiversity. It would be a sad day if this development went ahead. Just my 2p worth. Hope it makes sense :)
chitin

Post by chitin »

Risk to dogs from Adders and deep holes in the ground ?
eccles

Post by eccles »

Adders are definitely present on the site but they are very shy and will be more likely to take cover than strike an over-curious dog. Ground nesting birds will be at risk if the hounds continue to be exercised here. This is of course also true of any domestic dog not kept on a lead.

Return to “Conservation”