Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Trevor

Post by David M »

To hit double figure numbers of species so close to October is notable, Trevor. Looks like this weekend will be a washout, so I suspect these statistics will will not be achieved again until next April sadly. :(

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

It's important to ' make hay whilst the sun shines ', David.
Around this way things should carry on until the first frost or two.

One Butterfly species has, for me, been difficult to track down this season. The Clouded Yellow.
They have either been absent from what I have considered to be their usual hot spots, or flying
fast and not landing. I saw quite a few at Mill Hill recently, but none within camera range.

So this morning I set off for Shoreham Harbour, a location that was brilliant for them last year.
It did not take very long to find a patrolling Cloudie, then ' heaven ', one nectaring and not in a hurry.
In all about eight were seen, and some landed just long enough for a few shots.
The warm, sunny weather meant that most were supercharged, making the Wall Brown seem quite placid.

Other species seen were quite a few Common Blues, fresh and faded, a fresh Brown Argus, and three new Red Admirals.
Attachments
P1120807.JPG
P1120782.JPG
P1120769.JPG
P1120778.JPG
P1120817.JPG
P1120814.JPG
P1120810.JPG
P1120809.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm very pleased to see you found some obliging Cloudies at Shoreham, Trevor, after they've been giving you the run round elsewhere. :) Some of them look pretty fresh (as do some at Mill Hill) so are probably local grown - there could be more to come anywhere where they were seen in early August. Will we have November butterflies down there again?

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Crickey so many obliging Cloudies and I still haven't seen one this year :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That third one is particularly yellow :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Cloudie nirvana :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Looks like I'm going to have to make a trek south in October- if the sun eventually shines on my day off! Those Clouded Yellows cannot be missed...

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Your Peacock from the 15th September also looks like an ab. diopthalmica.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I've just looked at that Peacock, Katrina, and it does have those tiny extra blue spots.
I have to say the spots aren't immediately obvious.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I thought there might be some appreciation for those Cloudies, slippery devils at the best of times !.
Many thanks everyone.

Today we had a short window ( very short! ) of decent weather, so I headed for High and Over.
The cool breeze was blowing along the hedge in the meadow, but never the less this where
most Butterflies were seen. About eight male Wall Browns were flying, but no fresh ones today.
Another Painted Lady was found basking at the base of the hedge, and a newly emerged Red Admiral
took advantage of a fence post to shelter from the wind.

Not a bad haul for a decidedly dodgy day.

It was also a pleasure to aquaint Andrew, from Sevenoaks with the best spots for Walls at H&O.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1120846.JPG
P1120835.JPG
P1120856.JPG
P1120838.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see the Walls persisting in less than ideal conditions, and a nice shot of one of each sex there, Trevor. I suspect the Lady and the Admiral were having a last feed before heading southwards... :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A Painted Lady at any time of year is always a welcome sight Trevor :D and topped off with a few Walls definitely makes it a good haul :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Still firmly rooted along that top hedgerow I see Trevor :wink:. I was in your neck of the woods again today, you'll have to wait till tomorrow to see what I saw though :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

I'm highly envious of that variety of species you've seen lately, Trevor. Saw a Cloudie myself at the back end of August but I'm sure the Welsh ones have all been rained into submission in recent weeks! :(

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Glad to see you enjoying the last of this seasons butterflies Trevor. I think my season is pretty much over for this year. Overall it’s been great, see you out there again somewhere next year.

BW’s

James

trevor

Post by trevor »

Despite the blustery wind this morning, I could not resist another trip to Shoreham,
and on the way home a quick visit to High and Over.

Here are some of the species seen.
Attachments
P1130014.JPG
P1130013.JPG
P1130021.JPG
P1130006.JPG
P1120896.JPG
P1130012.JPG
P1120963.JPG
P1130002.JPG
P1130005.JPG
P1130010.JPG
P1130015.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Very impressive, Trevor. Me....I just wish the opportunity would present itself so that I can get out at all! :(

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Wow!!! you've certainly been blessed with Cloudy's Trevor, lovely shot's too :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I think at this rate Trevor I'm going to have to get the MrGreen gif changed to Mr Yellow to represent my envy of all you Cloudies :mrgreen: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

The start of the Wall Brown third brood at High and Over was first noticed by badgerbob
and myself on Aug. 31st, and today there is still plenty of activity.
Yesterday I found two fresh females, and today a fresh male was seen flying among older examples.
I met badgerbob on site this morning, he had counted eleven males, and I found another some
distance from the others.
Also seen there this morning, a very fresh Large White ( with some wing damage ) and two
fresh Small Coppers. Towards the car park several Speckled Woods danced in the semi shade.

I later moved on to Tide Mills, which was very quiet except for a few Common Blues.

Trevor.

PS. Many thanks David, Goldie & Wurzel.
Attachments
P1130079.JPG
P1130082.JPG
P1130085.JPG
P1130058.JPG
P1130077.JPG
P1130063.JPG
P1130075.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Those Walls are doing really well down there, Trevor, especially if some of them are relatively fresh. :) Do you know how long-lived they are? Nice to see Blues and Coppers too. :)

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”