Holiday to Spain part 3a

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Holiday to Spain part 3a

Post by Philzoid »

10/08/17
A sunny start to the morning and I’m shaking a leg while the others slumber. A nod and hello to the gardener as I go to dump the wine bottles in the glass recycling bin on my way to a new area of waste ground or My Patch 2 (MP2). This is a patch of cleared ground in a depression, framed in part by trees and the remainder by a road close to a golf course.
MP.2
MP.2
As I made my way in down a steep rocky bank looking ahead full of optimism I nearly came a cropper thanks to bramble snaking around my feet :shock: .
Scrub negotiated I wandered into an open area populated by ‘weeds’ in flower which had attracted two large black carpenter bees. Again, I struggled to get a decent shot of the insect as they were constantly on the move. I also came across a new Shield bug (Carpocoris sp.?) . Shield bugs are always impressive for their shape and colouration :)
A 2017.08.10 IMG_8478 Carpenter Bee, MP2 t.jpg
Carpocoris sp. (mediteranneus or fuscispinus ?)
Carpocoris sp. (mediteranneus or fuscispinus ?)
A butterfly wasn’t far behind, this time another new species a Brown Argus Aricia agestis or, could it be Southern Brown Argus Agestis cramera ((A. agestis ssp. cramera) …are they separate species :?: )
C 2017.08.10 IMG_8502 Southern Brown Argus, MP2.jpg
D 2017.08.10 IMG_8510 Southern Brown Argus, MP2.jpg
E 2017.08.10 IMG_8521 Southern Brown Argus, MP2 t.jpg
At the far end where honeysuckle snaked up the shrubs I spotted the Bluest blue I’d seen to date. It perched high up so I attempted to get a shot with the FZ-72 but the picture turned out as a white blob. I was 99% convinced that it was a Holly Blue Celastrina argiolus.
heavily re-worked record shot of a Holly Blue
heavily re-worked record shot of a Holly Blue
As ever there were other interesting looking insects around. This is I think is Exoprosopa sp. (jacchus) Silvery Bee fly, and the dragonfly might be an Epaulet skimmer female.
G 2017.08.10 IMG_8542 Exoprosopa sp. (jacchus) Silvery Bee Fly, MP2.jpg
H 2017.08.10 IMG_8553 Epaulet Skimmer, MP2.jpg
I was also slightly surprised to come across an African Grass Blue when leaving MP2 for home :)
I 2017.08.10 IMG_8566 Zizeeria knysna, African Grass Blue, MP2.jpg
On the way back to the others, I dropped into MP1 and took these pictures of another Southern Gatekeeper (keeping low down in the grasses) and another unidentified Grasshopper.
J 2017.08.10 IMG_8569 Pyronia cecelia, Southern Gatekeeper, MP1 t00.jpg
K 2017.08.10 IMG_8576 Grasshopper, MP1.jpg
When I got back my other half was sunbathing and reading a book whilst the kids were in the pool and in no hurry to get ready to go anywhere. In fact, they had already decided on having a lazy day by pool and this gave me some time to go off and do my own thing … :idea: I’d go back to the dunes at Cabopino :D .
Prior to that though I decided to try and get some more photos of the butterflies in the gardens. The first was an open-wing shot of one of the Zizeeria knysna Grass Blues flitting around the lawn.
L 2017.08.10 IMG_8587 Zizeeria knysna, African Grass Blue Las Farolas lawn.jpg
After that, a Geranium Bronze burrowing into a flower head for nectar. The paper wasps were keen on the plant too.
M 2017.08.10 IMG_8595 Cacyreus marshilli, Gernanuim Bronze, Las Farolas gardens.jpg
N 2017.08.10 IMG_8605 Polistes sp. wasp, Las Farolas gardens t.jpg
Down the side of the apartment block was a shaded area where a Speckled Wood was often seen holding territory. However, on this occasion there was a Small White. Perhaps he’d come there to cool off? I’m glad he did as he settled down to rest enabling me to get in close for this shot. :D
O 2017.08.10 IMG_8623 Pieris rapae, Small White, Las Farolas gardens t.jpg
P 2017.08.10 IMG_8632 Cacyreus marshilli, Gernanuim Bronze, Las Farolas gardens t.jpg
Jumping Spider Plexippus paykulli ?
Jumping Spider Plexippus paykulli ?
To be continued … (warning very few butterflies in part b)
Chris Jackson

Re: Holiday to Spain part 3a

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Phil,
For the shield bug I'd suggest Carpocoris mediterraneus.
African Grass Blue is still on my wish list :mrgreen:
Chris
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Chris Jackson wrote:Hi Phil,For the shield bug I'd suggest Carpocoris mediterraneus.African Grass Blue is still on my wish list
thanks for the shield bug ID. :D
As for the African Grass blue .. get yourself down to Spain :wink:
seriously, I first saw them in La Gomera then a couple of years on in Tenerife; then Fuengirola in December 2015 and on this holiday in many places. I've come to taking it for granted that I'll see them when I go to those places on holiday. Could it be a species that is expanding its range?

Phil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting range of bugs and bobs Philzoid :wink: :D Are you sure the Small White wasn't a Southern? It's something to do with a fork in a vein I seem to recall :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You did well to get a shot showing the hindwing of the Small White so clearly.

There is a definite fork in the vein and Roger (Gibbons) has provided a useful diagnostic regarding this which enables identification between rapae and mannii:

http://www.butterfliesoffrance.com/html ... mannii.htm
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:Are you sure the Small White wasn't a Southern? It's something to do with a fork in a vein I seem to recall
David M wrote:There is a definite fork in the vein and Roger (Gibbons) has provided a useful diagnostic regarding this which enables identification between rapae and mannii:
I've forgotten to look for that feature yet I was aware that mannii could be present and I do recall there was a lot of discussion about this on the forum back in 2015 :oops: :oops: .

:idea: I better re-check out my Pieris pic in part 5a ... though it's nowhere near as detailed as the one in this posting.
Wurzel wrote:Interesting range of bugs and bobs Philzoid
Indeed it is (was) :D . The hallmark of the trip:- lots of weird and wonderful things to see. As you know hot sunny weather isn't always conducive to butterflying so it's inevitable that you branch out .... a bit :wink:

Return to “General”