Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Prettier Photos

Post by Katrina »

Of an obliging Small Copper
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_217d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2185.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_218b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2186.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2189.jpeg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Katrina

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Really lovely Small Copper images Katrina, I'm quite partial to a bit of back lighting.

BW's

James

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks, Brex, but what do you make of the strange eggs on the previous posting?

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Katrina wrote:Thanks, Brex, but what do you make of the strange eggs on the previous posting?
I'm not sure, my guess is they are probably moth cats. I suppose they could be sawfly larvae but I don't really know anything about them.

Katrina

Sunshine. Bank Holiday and Queen of Spain Fritillary (A Winning Combination)

Post by Katrina »

Having checked the butterfly websites early this morning it was clear where I needed to go today. I convinced my friend of this and we headed off to see the Queen of Spain Fritillaries. We were very fortunate it being a bank holiday, sunny and they were within easy driving distance. When we arrived on site someone immediately pointed out a Q.O.S. so there was no searching required. It was a pleasure to see Badger Bob, B.rex, Colin Knight and Neil Hulme amongst others and brilliant to see this rare visitor. A special thank you to Dave Harris for finding them, Neil for posting about them and the farmer for being welcoming.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2193.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_21ab.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_21c5.jpeg

millerd

Post by millerd »

Nice photos of Queen of Spain, Katrina. Much :mrgreen: !

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely cracking set of shots Katrina, :mrgreen: multiply by a bucket load :mrgreen: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I can't say well found it seems, but you came away with some great images.

David M

Post by David M »

Seems like it was an impromptu UKB late summer gathering, Katrina!

If I didn't live so far away I'd have been there myself!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Dave, Wurzel and Trevor! :D
Thanks David, it certainly was like a get together so expect more postings of photos by others. Just shows the power of the butterfly websites!

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Fantastic shots of the Queen of Spain Fritillary, Katrina :D not that I'm :mrgreen:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Your so lucky Katrina to live so near to them :mrgreen: lovely shots and some thing to remember through the Winter :D Goldie :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Maximus and Goldie! I do feel lucky to have seen them and lucky there are so many enthusiasts in Sussex keeping their eyes open!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Smashing images there Katrina. Great shots of the underside which I personally think are more attractive. Wish I could have joined you.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Pauline, we wished you could have joined us too, would have been good to catch up.

Katrina

Rowland Wood

Post by Katrina »

I went to Rowland Wood this morning. I saw four fresh Commas, some Common Blues, some Red Admirals, a Painted Lady, a Green-Veined White, Small Heaths, Meadow Browns, Speckled Woods and a worn SPBF. In Park Heath Corner there was a Peacock.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_21e8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_21ed.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_21d3.jpeg

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Yesterday evening I stopped off at Mill Hill. I did find a few Meadow Browns, Small Heaths and roosting blues but the best part was the views.
Today I went to Castle Hill and saw at least 12 Small Coppers and a Migrant Hawker as well as Meadow Browns, Small Heaths, some fresh Common Blues and a Red Admiral
Attachments
DSC09099.jpg
DSC09104.JPG
DSC09138.jpg
DSC09169.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking views there Katrina - and the Small Copper is mighty fine :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

A very moody and atmospheric image of the river and Lancing college.
Although taken in the evening, it has an early morning feel to it.

Very nice,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Twelve Small Coppers is a respectable haul anywhere, Katrina, and if you're still seeing Meadow Browns and Small Heaths then that's a bonus.

Return to “Personal Diaries”