Swallowtails in Norfolk - best site ?

tuftyhill

Swallowtails in Norfolk - best site ?

Post by tuftyhill »

I was hoping to take a couple of fellow butterfliers to see Mountain Ringlet this coming weekend at Fleetwith Pass - I had plenty there on 9th June last year, but if there are no reports before then I may switch the plans to try for Swallowtail in Norfolk. I have never tried for this species before so was hoping for a recommended best site for them out of How Hill, Catfield Fen and Wheatfen. I would ideally like to get some photographs obviously but having never visited any of the sites I don't know about viewing distances.
According to the 'Discover Butterflies in Britain' book, all three sites in one day may be too much ground to cover.
So any tips ?

Many thanks
Paul
alex mclennan

Re: Swallowtails in Norfolk - best site ?

Post by alex mclennan »

Hi Paul
Try the RSPB reserve at Strumpshaw Fen - it's as good a place as any. There have already been a few sightings this year although I drew a blank last week. Look for the cottage next to the railway line where the occupant plants a flower border specially to tempt swallowtails - and allows visitors to wander over his garden to photograph them. Good luck!
Alex
tuftyhill

Post by tuftyhill »

Cheers Alex,
the weather looks good this coming weekend so hopefully I'll be heading over to Norfolk. I did actually notice lots of photo's taken at Strumpshaw Fen from the gallery after my posting, I'd actually forgotten about that site.
Thanks again

Paul
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Hoping the weather forecast is correct today and the mist clears...
With any luck, that should encourage a few swallowtails to remove their flippers and snorkels - They've had it particularly cloudy and wet
in Norfolk this year (ask Mr. Oddie :wink: ).
Anyway, I'm off for a look-see... Maybe see some of you there :D
Look out for the rare sight of a family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers, still talking to each other :shock:

Trev
jellyang

Post by jellyang »

Not sure which site you were going to Trev but I managed to see 2 Swallowtails at Surlingham Fen today.

I hope you were as lucky as me :)

Not sure I believe the two parents and two teenagers still talking though :lol:

Angie
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

A hectic day, visiting 3 different sites. There were a few swallowtails at Catfield Fen (just managed a quick 'record' shot there - see below), before shooting off to Hickling Broad. No joy there apart from the Marsh Harriers, so popped to Strumpshaw on the way home. A little late in the day, but eventually one turned up at the usual spot... I've entered my best photo in the competition. Always seems a bit of a cheat to take photos of them in the cottage garden at Strumpshaw, but it was obviously a freshly-hatched specimen and looked absolutely perfect.

Trev
tuftyhill

Post by tuftyhill »

We managed to get half a dozen Swallowtails at Strumpshaw on the reserve, 2 or 3 from the Visitor Centre Screen hide and the others from the Meadow Trail wher I also managed to get the hoped for Norfolk Hawker, wasn't sure where the Swallowtail 'cottage' was.

Cheers

Paul
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

tuftyhill wrote:... wasn't sure where the Swallowtail 'cottage' was.
It's here: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x ... &st=4&ar=Y

From the RSPB car park, go out onto the road, turn left and take the next left. Go down the path to the end. Marsh Cottage is on the right, and the owner is happy for visitors to view the swallowtails in their garden.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
tuftyhill

Post by tuftyhill »

Thanks for that Pete, I'll pay him a visit next time I go to Strumpshaw.

Cheers
Paul

Return to “General”