White Admiral pupa

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
downland boy

White Admiral pupa

Post by downland boy »

This year I have been monitoring 4 White Admiral larvae with the intention of finding exactly whereabouts on the foodplant they actually pupate. In recent years I have meticulously searched the honeysuckle when the mature larva has disappeared without ever finding a pupa. On these occasions the search was carried out from ground level. The pupa is clearly designed to look like a folded honeysuckle leaf and it appears unlikely that they leave the plant to pupate and the only explanation for their apparent absence is that they climb high. Today, I checked on the larvae and the most mature of the four had disappeared. All through its feeding stage, the larva was never more than 7 feet from ground level. Using binoculars, I followed a direct line upwards from its last known position, checking the foliage as I went and after about 20 minutes I found what I was looking for. The larva was suspended under a honeysuckle stem and had not yet shed its final skin. I decided to nip home to get a ladder and by the time I had returned, the final moult had occurred and I could now see a fresh pupa. The pupa was suspended 15 feet above the ground and in quite an exposed location, clearly relying on its camouflage for protection. I will hopefully be able to find the remaining 3 larvae when they pupate to see if they behave in a similar way. The first photograph was taken at full zoom from ground level and the second was taken 90 minutes later from the ladder. Downland boy. http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
P13804010001.JPG
P13804940001.JPG
bugboy

Re: White Admiral pupa

Post by bugboy »

Well done on finding that, even in your pictures I have to click on them to work out what's what!

I had a little scout around where I saw a final instar WA cat at Bookham today but since you needed a ladder to get anywhere near them it would seem I'm unlikely to find one to photograph, not sure on the logistics on getting a ladder all the way to Bookham via the tube and trains :lol:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That's a fantastic observation. I've had exactly the same problem, of larvae reaching the point of pupation then disappearing. Unfortunately, the solution for me cannot be the same, as in Switzerland white admirals use stand-alone honeysuckle bushes and there is nowhere up to go. Most bushes are less than head-height tall. I hope I have a stroke of genius like you and discover where mine go.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's a great find Nigel and after our recent chat I am really pleased for you. I do hope you will continue to keep us informed about the others too. Like Guy, on my local patch the honeysuckle doesn't go that high so it is still a bit of a mystery. Clearly need someone with your investigative skills on my patch :wink: :lol:
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Hi Bugboy, Guy and Pauline,

Thanks for those appreciative comments. It is difficult to reach any firm conclusions on the basis of one wandering larva and I shall be returning to the wood tomorrow as the other larvae will be leaving their feeding stems any day now. I will certainly return to this forum with any updates on the other three larvae and I just hope that my luck hasn't already peaked! From observations in my wood regarding honeysuckle growth, it can grow quite high often with several feet of bare stem occurring between clumps of foliage. Further up the tree when the growing tip reaches a sunny spot, another flourish of foliage can occur. I do accept however that growth type can vary from region to region. I am certain that it wont be long before all of you find a wild pupa.

All the best and happy hunting, Nigel.
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

On Monday 29/5 I returned to the wood to check on the remaining 3 larvae and also to photograph the 2 day old pupa. The 3 larvae were still resting on their feeding stems. Ladder unfolded, I then took some photographs of the pupa. Later at home, I looked closely at the photographs and saw a small pimple like appendage on one of the pupal wing cases. I again looked back over the photographs that I took on 27/5 and it was clear that a parasitic egg had been laid shortly after the final larval moult and before the pupal membrane had hardened. I suspect that the culprit is likely to be a parasitic fly rather than wasp (a wasp would most likely have injected the egg?) but I will do some research to try and identify the culprit. I am never inclined to interfere with natural processes and so it will be interesting to see what develops. I am sure that at the end of this little exercise, I will have more questions than answers. Photo 1 is of the 2 day old pupa; photo 2 was taken at 1340hrs 27/5 with no egg; photo 3 was taken at 1426hrs 27/5 with egg in situ.

All the best, Nigel
Attachments
P13807230001.JPG
P13804150001.JPG
P13805220001.JPG
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I'd just like to add my congratulations, downland boy!

My final instar larva has gone AWOL and I've looked everywhere!

The 3 remaining larvae that I'm monitoring in the wild are still 4th instar - will report back accordingly!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Martin Jenkins

Post by Martin Jenkins »

Well spotted that man!
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that. Following the progress of these larvae is fast becoming an all consuming pastime. I hope that I didn't use up all my luck last weekend. I will keep this forum posted.

Hi Martin,

I usually take lots of photographs to make sure that I get one or two good shots. On this occasion I realise that photography is also a great tool for looking back and checking for things I missed at the time.

All the best, Nigel
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

On Wednesday 31/5 I checked the remaining three larvae. One was still in resting posture on top of a leaf but the other two were suspended under leaves awaiting pupation and are still very close to their feeding stems. Photograph 1 shows one larva which I think will pupate imminently and is 6 feet from ground level. Photograph 2 shows another larva which is at least a day behind the individual in photograph 1 and is 7 feet from ground level.
Regarding the honeysuckle growth; The larva that pupated on 27/5 was a lone individual on a honeysuckle plant that was growing very high into the trees and with patchy foliage growth. It was about a week ahead of the remaining three which have been feeding very close to each other, no more than 7 feet from ground level. The plant that they are on has more lush foliage and is only about 10 feet high, not growing up into the trees but forming a tangle of stems.

All the best, Nigel.
Attachments
P13808760001.JPG
P13809210001.JPG
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Amazing - and well done!

I'll keep looking on my plants, though it's a different species of honeysuckle they use here and their behaviour may be different. Ours are low, stand-alone bushes. Over the last couple of years I have searched literally every leaf of every bush where a final instar larva has gone walkabout and so far found nothing. But I'll keep hunting, inspired by your pictures!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Thanks Guy,

I am merely returning the favour....I am constantly inspired by the photographs that appear on your diary page!

All the best, Nigel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I shall have to quadruple my efforts in the future Nigel now that you have proved it is possible to find them. Please let us know the outcome, especially No.1.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Pauline wrote:I shall have to quadruple my efforts in the future Nigel now that you have proved it is possible to find them. Please let us know the outcome, especially No.1.
You and me both, Pauline! I'll have to revisit my lot when I get back to the UK (inevitably, abroad as I write!).

Cheers,

- Pete
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Hi Pauline,

I was up at the wood yesterday and also going again today (I am getting on with some rhododendron clearance as well) and so I will post a proper update this evening. To update you on the first (high) pupa, I fear that it may already be showing signs that it is not viable. It is still possible that the parasitic egg may fail or itself become parasitized but since day 2, the pupal wing cases have taken on a dark olive green colour which is contrary to most photographs of early stage pupae. I wonder whether the actual laying of the parasite egg triggers an immediate change in the pupa. When I am absolutely certain that the pupa is not viable, then I will climb up and bring it down to see if I can establish what species of parasite is involved.

All the best, Nigel
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

At about 10am on Thursday 1/6, I checked the three remaining larvae. The first and most advanced was now a pupa, the second, about a day behind the first, was still suspended and awaiting its final moult. The third was resting under a leaf.
I checked again around two hours later to find that the second (suspended) larva had vanished, probably as a result of bird predation (there were signs of bird droppings on the honeysuckle stems)
On Friday 2/6, The pupa was still in place and there were no signs of parasitic eggs attached. The third larva had vanished, presumably to look for a pupation site but I couldn't find it anywhere. I will make another search at the weekend.
Photograph 1 is the pupa less than 24 hrs old and photograph 2 is of the pupa on its second day.

All the best, Nigel
Attachments
P13900860001.JPG
P13901640001.JPG
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Fascinating stuff Nigel. One parasitised, one eaten, one missing - don't they have a hard time of it :( So close yet so far .... Looking forward to the next instalment :)
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Great work, Nigel! It's good to get confirmation that they pupate in the same position (under a leaf) in the wild as they do in captivity.

Cheers,

- Pete
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Hi Pete,

From the observations of my four larvae, one climbed from 7 feet to 15 feet to pupate. Two remained on the feeding stem to pupate under leaves and the final one (on the same plant as the previous two) wandered away from the feeding stem to pupate. I haven't found this one yet and will keep looking (although it is also possible that this one has been predated by a bird). I suppose each individual larva is driven by instinct in its choice of pupation site but it also seems likely that they behave differently on different types of growth.
It is difficult to form any real conclusion from the actions of these four larvae. I shall just have to find a few more next year and see what they do!

All the best, Nigel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Just catching up on this thread, some excellent citizen science here, well done in following them. I hope at least one flies :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “General”