Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Maximus

Post by trevor »

Yes, yesterday morning, glorious weather and an afternoon of cloud. As for today forget it !.
You were lucky, given the cloud, to find those Dukes, love the one on the Cowslip.
I'm also in awe of your trip to Dungeness, so many Small Coppers and that pale Small Tort.

A great couple of trips !,
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You did well to find those Dukes in yesterday afternoons weather! Another week or two and the Chilton's colonies should be in full flight :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just catching up Mike. Pity I missed you at NH but great report and photos from Dungeness, esp. that ST :D :mrgreen:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely cracking set of Dukes/Duchesses Mike :D They've only just started emerging here - the first was on Monday :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Maximus,
Just been looking through a wildlife blog that I follow (and superb it is too !), " NORTH DOWNS AND BEYOND" and I found the picture of the Small Coppers on the "Senetti " plant in the Dungeness bird obs garden,i mentioned in my post to you,a short while back, its on 29th May 15' and entitled
"The Pulling power of Sennetti " ,if you get a chance take a look. Regards Allan.W.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Trevor, we were very lucky to find the Dukes at Noar given the weather conditions.
The visit to Dungeness was superb, and we were also very lucky with the Tort!

We were very pleased to find some Dukes on that day, Bugboy, and you were obviously bang on regarding the Chiltern colonies.

Thanks Pauline, it’s a pity we didn’t see you at Noar, since then other commitments have 'stolen' our time. Feels like we’ve missed out on spring again. Fortunately I’ve been able to read all about it in other diaries. I’m sure that we’ll bump into you soon!

Thanks Wurzel, have you seen your Dukes yet?

Hello Allan, thank you for the pointer to the photo of the Small Coppers on the Senetti, what a brilliant shot! I was so impressed that I took a trip to our local garden centre...

P1250241.JPGResize.JPG
P1250242.JPGResize.JPG

... and bought one!

On the 9th June 2016 a Large White laid her eggs on a brassica that I was going to plant in the garden. The plant was transferred to a net cage and things were allowed to run their course. The cats began to pupate around the middle of July...

P1230336.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
P1230650.JPGResize.JPG

...with the adults emerging around the end of July....

P1230850.JPGResize.JPG

However two pupae remained, so we left them in the cage over-winter, although thinking that they might not develop any further.
But on 10th May 2017 two adults emerged, it's strange that these two didn’t emerge in July 2016 with the others.

P1250232.JPGResize.JPG
The Large White is a beautiful butterfly
The Large White is a beautiful butterfly

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm intrigued Mike and I'm hoping someone is going to be able to shed some light on it :?

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mike, I have now cracked the Duke :D A great set of shots of the Whites, interesting that a couple had a protracted pupation, has that been documented before?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I'm not sure if anyone will, Pauline :shock: :wink:

Glad you got your Duke, Wurzel :D I'm not sure why the Whites had a protracted pupation, perhaps it's normal?

We have recently returned from our annual trip to the Isle of Wight.
It would appear that this year is another good one for Glanville Fritillaries, as we found them to be plentiful at all sites along the south coast of the island, although the hot weather meant that they were hyperactive!

P1250202.JPGResize.JPG
P1250205.JPGResize.JPG
P1250251.JPGResize.JPG
P1250259.JPGResize.JPG
P1250276.JPGResize.JPG
P1250267.JPGResize.JPG
P1250323.JPGResize.JPG
P1250514.JPGResize.JPG

It was really great to see these lovely butterflies again.

trevor

Post by trevor »

You deserve two mrgreens, one for those superb Glanville images,
and another for spending time on the Isle of Wight. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Sorry to hark back to this Mike but I am really interested in that protracted pupation of the Large Whites. Wurzel asked the question 'has it ever been documented?' but no responses. Is it because no-one has come across this before or is it because no-one knows? I can't believe it is either of those as there are so many smart folk on this site who are very experienced and knowledgeable. Have you thought about putting it out there, more widely, on the Board Index somewhere - just to shut me up if nothing else :wink: :lol: Very envious of your recent trip btw :mrgreen:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Really envious Mike of your lovely Glanville's and your trip to the IOW :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Trevor, we always look forward to our annual visit to the Isle of Wight and it's Glanvilles :D

That's OK Pauline, but I'm not sure it's anything new :?:

Thanks Goldie, we enjoy our visit to the IOW every year, it's just like a trip abroad :D

This beautiful lady paid a visit to our garden this morning..

P1250365.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
P1250356.JPGResize.JPG

..she was a real sight for sore eyes.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Glorious Glanville images, Mike. As others, I am most envious of your trip to the Island! :mrgreen:

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Glannies Mike :D :mrgreen: You seem to be able to time your trip to the Isle of Black to perfection :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I've seen Glanvlles to the point of distraction in southern France lately, but there's always something reassuring about seeing UK specimens from their natural habitat in the UK.

Well done for making the journey and reporting back!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mike,

Great report and photos of the Glanvilles from the IoW. I really must plan another visit, maybe next year. To my mind it is the only proper place to see Glanvilles in the UK.
Maximus wrote:
...I'm not sure why the Whites had a protracted pupation, perhaps it's normal?..
I am sure I have heard of this before, it is certainly not uncommon in the world of moths. I have a dim recollection of reading something somewhere about Orange-tips sometimes missing a year.
Apparently it is normal for a proportion of Emperor Moth pupae to go through two winters before emerging.

Cheers,

Neil.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Dave, it's always great to be back in Glanville territory :D

It's always down to pure luck, Wurzel, but we do look forward to our time on the Black :D

I can imagine how one could become blase about seeing a rare British species that is common in Europe, David. It's nice though that you appreciate the significance of the UK population :D

Cheers, Neil, and yes it is the best place to see Glanvilles in the UK :D Interesting that delayed pupation is common in moths - perhaps it's common in certain species of butterflies too?

The Others

I've now fallen a little bit behind with my diary, and it's been a while since I posted on our visit to the Isle of Wight to see Glanville Fritillaries.
So here are some shots of the other species that we saw during our visit.

Green Hairstreak, worn, but the only one I've photographed this year
Green Hairstreak, worn, but the only one I've photographed this year
P1250264.JPGResize.JPG
P1250488.JPGResize.JPG
P1250426.JPGResize.JPG
Our first Large Skippers of the year
Our first Large Skippers of the year
Roosting Small Blue, with a distinct lack of spots on the hindwing
Roosting Small Blue, with a distinct lack of spots on the hindwing
P1250443.JPGResize.JPG
'Blue' female Common Blue
'Blue' female Common Blue
Male Common Blue
Male Common Blue
Not many Wall Browns this year
Not many Wall Browns this year
A beautiful female Small Copper - ab. caeruleopunctata
A beautiful female Small Copper - ab. caeruleopunctata

A Cream-spotted Tiger moth rescued from a footpath, a lifetime first..

P1250232.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
P1250374.JPGResize.JPG
Cream-spotted Tiger, psychedelic underside!
Cream-spotted Tiger, psychedelic underside!

Finally a shot of Glanville land, looking West towards Compton Bay from St. Catherine's Hill, with the military road receding into the distance...

P1250252.JPGResize.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Mike, that female Common Blue is one of the best I've seen.

What a stunner.

trevor

Post by trevor »

A great selection from the IOW., Mike.
Lovely Cream Spot Tiger, I like the Wurzelesque underside shot, very unusual.

Return to “Personal Diaries”