April 2017

Discussion forum for sightings.
bugboy

Re: April 2017

Post by bugboy »

Several Orange-tip eggs found at Bookham Commons today with at least 10 males active.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

Male Large Tortoiseshell(s) now seen in same location in West Sussex as the Female(s) previously seen this year .
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Allan.W. wrote:Out early this morning...I did find my first Green Veined of the year.
I'm glad I opened that picture, Allan - stunning shot.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks for kind comment Lee,now I just want that roosting Orange -Tip !! Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Finally hunted down my first Orange Tips of 2017, with two males seen at the back of my workplace this afternoon:
1OT(1).jpg
Holly Blues seem to be having a good spring, with nigh on double figure numbers seen. They were eclipsed by Speckled Woods though, with 20 or so recorded.

Three Brimstones, two Small Whites and a Peacock were also seen, as well as my first two Large Whites of the year, both males.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Today I made my first visit to North Stoke, Sussex (near Amberley) in search of Large Tortoiseshells. It seems that many others had the same idea (including UKB's Pauline), but despite the number of eyes on the ground, the target species was not seen by the time I left at 3.45pm. However I was not disappointed with the day because this is a wonderful site for the spring species, with lots of Cuckoo flower and nettles to support them. There were so many butterflies that I lost count, but those seen were: Brimstone, Orange-tip, Green-veined White, Holly Blue, Speckled Wood, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma and Red Admiral.
North Stoke, Sussex
North Stoke, Sussex
I also found 3 Red Admiral larval tents in the nettle bed along the fence line. Each contained a fat 5th instar larva, which most likely developed from eggs laid in October or November 2016.
Red Admiral larval tent - North Stoke 6-April-2017
Red Admiral larval tent - North Stoke 6-April-2017
The sheltered nature and orientation of the site made it feel quite warm on the ground today, although I did not record the temperature.

Vince
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Vince Massimo wrote:Today I made my first visit to North Stoke, Sussex (near Amberley) in search of Large Tortoiseshells. It seems that many others had the same idea (including UKB's Pauline), but despite the number of eyes on the ground, the target species was not seen by the time I left at 3.45pm. However I was not disappointed with the day because this is a wonderful site for the Spring species, with lots of Cuckoo flower and nettles to support them. There were so many butterflies that I lost count, but those seen were: Brimstone, Orange-tip, Green-veined White, Holly Blue, Speckled Wood, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma and Red Admiral.

IMG_0299-01G.jpg
I also found 3 Red Admiral larval tents in the nettle bed along the fence line. Each contained a fat 5th instar larva, which most likely developed from eggs laid in October or November 2016.

IMG_0273-01G.jpg
The sheltered nature and orientation of the site made it feel quite warm on the ground today, although I did not record the temperature.

Vince
So that's what it looks like under a clear blue sky!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Vince Massimo wrote: I also found 3 Red Admiral larval tents in the nettle bed along the fence line. Each contained a fat 5th instar larva, which most likely developed from eggs laid in October or November 2016.
This is interesting. As we have seen in recent years that Red Admirals can successfully overwinter, it seems that more than one stage of the life cycle can do so.

You have a good eye for Red Admiral early stages, Vince!

Best wishes,

Lee
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

bugboy wrote:So that's what it looks like under a clear blue sky!
I think it was a bit too sunny, Paul.
Lee Hurrell wrote:This is interesting. As we have seen in recent years that Red Admirals can successfully overwinter, it seems that more than one stage of the life cycle can do so.You have a good eye for Red Admiral early stages, Vince!
Lee, in recent years there have been reports of Red Admiral larvae overwintering, mainly in the south of the country, so I am always on the lookout for larval tents in sheltered nettle beds. This last winter, myself and Paul Harfield have been rearing larvae again and it looks like we may have some more interesting data to report soon.

Vince
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I generally struggle to find reasonable sites for Orange -Tips ,near home,but having a couple of hours spare after work this afternoon,i thought I,d try a site near home (Ashford ,Kent),along the military canal,which I fancied,i wasn,t disappointed ! passing through the gate
the first butterfly I saw was a male Orange tip,and from then onwards,they were never out of site,with up to seven males in view at one time,also found my first(4) Speckled woods of 2017,plus a couple of Comma, and good numbers of fresh Green Veins. I reckon I saw about 15 male Orange tips in all,and one possible female which just would not settle! I'll be back ! Regards Allan.W.
P1090228.JPG
P1090260.JPG
P1090258.JPG
P1090327.JPG
The Doc

Post by The Doc »

I went for an afternoon walk on my local patch, Newchurch Common, Cheshire, as the sunshine came out and it looked good for butterflies. Species I had already seen this year were present in the shape of Peacock, Comma and Small Tortoiseshell. My first new species for the year was Orange-tip, with 2 gorgeous males seen. The biggest surprise, however, were three pristine Green Hairstreaks on the mossland section of the patch. This is my earliest record of the species ever and is testament to the management work that Cheshire Wildlife Trust is doing for this species on local sites. A record shot taken with my iPhone is attached.
Green Hairstreak PB web 4992.jpg
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Vince Massimo wrote:In recent years there have been reports of Red Admiral larvae overwintering, mainly in the south of the country, so I am always on the lookout for larval tents in sheltered nettle beds. This last winter, myself and Paul Harfield have been rearing larvae again and it looks like we may have some more interesting data to report soon.
Outstanding work! Can't wait to hear your conclusions :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Pete Eeles wrote:
Vince Massimo wrote:In recent years there have been reports of Red Admiral larvae overwintering, mainly in the south of the country, so I am always on the lookout for larval tents in sheltered nettle beds. This last winter, myself and Paul Harfield have been rearing larvae again and it looks like we may have some more interesting data to report soon.
Outstanding work! Can't wait to hear your conclusions :)
Likewise, Vince!

Best wishes,

Lee
David M

Post by David M »

A half hour break from work realised another male Orange Tip today, along with 3 Brimstones and a Comma.

It was 15c at 1pm, and in conditions like this it's rather a shame to see so few butterflies on the wing.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

2 Grizzled Skippers on the Hutchinsons Bank transect today. The Species seen Brimstone, Comma, S Tort, Speckled Wood, Peacock, Green Veined White, Grizzled Skipper, Orange Tip.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

8th April
My first butterfly of the year: Peacock near Nairn.

Jack
maverick

Post by maverick »

First orange tips seen in sunny Warrington today also I've seen my first spotted wood of the year.all outside my house in the Sankey valley park
A_T

Post by A_T »

What a glorious day. Orange-tip, Speckled Wood and Holly Blue all see at home - very early for this part of the world - usually towards the end of the month before first sightings. Chiffchaff, Blackcap and Willow-warbler all arrived early too - seems to be that kind of year.
Attachments
orange tip.JPG
NickC

Post by NickC »

Plenty of brimstones joining in with the flying activity at the Army Air Corps airfield at Middle Wallop, Hampshire today.
James M

Post by James M »

First Green Hairstreak of the year at RSPB Dove Stone on Saturday, earliest we've seen them up here. In addition 5 Peacocks and a Small Tortoiseshell.

Return to “Sightings”