Whites

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
JIMCOBB49

Whites

Post by JIMCOBB49 »

Hello
I'm new to this butterfly ID thing and am a bit hesitant about asking for asking some basic ID on the attached photos.Are they small or large whites? Thank you
Attachments
IMG_9898.jpg
IMG_9347.jpg
29062808235_b7f4c8362f_k.jpg
David M

Re: Whites

Post by David M »

Hi Jim,

All are Green Veined Whites...the middle one is male and the others are females.
JIMCOBB49

Post by JIMCOBB49 »

Thanks for your quick reply Jim
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

[quote="JIMCOBB49"...... a bit hesitant about asking for asking some basic ID on the attached photos......[/quote]

Hi Jim,

Never be afraid to ask :) Whites are tricky and I still get them wrong quite often. In fact, I'm hesitating over one I'm about to post, which I think is a Green-veined too.

Mike

PS it's the black spots that tell you whether it's male or female.
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

MikeOxon:

Howdy.

I'm ever so pleased (or relieved) to read your reply. As the Year progresses I find it more and more difficult to differentiate between Green-Veined and Small White Butterflies and that is before I add Large Whites to the mix. I feel a bit of a fool when admitting this to people. But to hear this from an Experienced Butterfly Person makes me feel very much less Foolish.
JIMCOBB49

Post by JIMCOBB49 »

Thanks to all who replied.I too felt a bit foolish about not being able to tell the whites apart as I am new to this so it was reassuring to hear I'm not alone.

Return to “Identification”