December 2016

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

December 2016

Post by David M »

With temperatures in the south of the UK down to -9 or even -10c, I suspect that anyone seeing a December specimen will be one who has disturbed a hibernator in his/her shed!!

Good luck!

PS - Let this cold continue. If we can follow it up with a mild, sunny April we might recover some of the ground lost this last few years.
millerd

Re: December 2016

Post by millerd »

A friend of mine spotted a female Brimstone in Taplow (Bucks) today (9th). Very mild and bright for December.

Dave
Scott Barron

Post by Scott Barron »

A single Small Tortoiseshell seen today (11th December) at Lands End.
David M

Post by David M »

Unsurprising, given the abnormally mild conditions.

In fact, I'm starting to get worried by these 11/12c temperatures. Surely at this time of year things should be COLD, i.e. 6 degrees at best?
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

A friend of mine flew down to Brighton for a funeral on Friday and reported seeing a Brimstone
"1 adult seen flying in the garden of the ‘Jack and Jill Inn’ at Clayton, Sussex last Friday (9th). Postcode is Brighton Rd, Clayton BN6 9PD"
It looks as though this isn't particularly unusual, but we find it exciting as we don't get Brimstones in Scotland!
Is there someone this record should go to?
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Nick,

Could you complete a sightings report for the Sussex BC website please :)
http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/upload/
It's fairly automated, so all you need to do is to fill in the fields and add a few words for the species, date and location.

Many thanks,
Vince
SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

I spotted (and photographed) a Brimstone this lunch time in Letchworth, Hertfordshire. Also saw a possible Peacock, but that was too far away for positive ID
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Fairly mild and sunny in Goole today. Peacock flying around the fields adjacent to the industrial estate.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Spied a peacock today,here in Ashford ,Kent flitting about ,around an upstairs window,it appeared to be trying to get in,either a disturbed individual, or one that's late to bed ! Very unseasonal. Roll on the the real winter !! ps; Very warm and sunny ,after an overcast start to the day.
Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Hear, hear, Allan. I'm surprised there haven't been more December sightings because I don't know if I can remember such a prolonged mild spell in the run up to Christmas before. It has routinely been 9 or 10 degrees in the morning here on the Swansea coast, which is what you'd expect night time temperatures to be in May and even early June.

After 3 very cold nights towards the end of November, it has been abnormally benign and won't do hibernating butterflies any favours. :(
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Yesterday (22/12/16) I took an extended early lunch break from work, to connect with some local Waxwings in Strood, Kent.
These birds(just the three of them) have been in the same location for approx 2 weeks now.
There were at least 10 "Birders" there, with the same idea as me. Since it was wall to wall sunshine, i was hoping for some decent images of the Waxwings, but struggled to capture any decent shots.

Although sunny, it was quite cold, so im guessing below 10 degrees C.
Every ones eyes were fixed on the birds(me included) so i was surprised to see a Butterfly fly out through the gap between two blocks of flats!!!
I shouted..."Look, over there, a butterfly"...I think the "Birders" thought i was "nuts"! because whilst all their cameras where focused on the Waxwings, i was running towards the butterfly, in the hope that it would land.

It did land too, it landed up near a first floor balcony...spreading its wings to bask in the winter sunshine.
At once, i could see it was a Red Admiral, which looked to be in very good condition. I took a few shots of it, moving in closer, and then it took off out of sight.

I think i was more pleased to see/photograph the Red Admiral, than the rare Waxwings :wink:

Location - Strood/Rochester, Kent. Cheers Paul.

Nikon V1/FT1/Nikon AFS 300mm f/4 lens used.

Ist image not cropped at all.
22nd-December-2016-to-700a.jpg
2nd image is cropped some.
22nd-December-2016-to-600a.jpg

Not forgetting an image of one of the 3 Waxwings :roll: (large crop).
22nd-December-2016-to-600b.jpg
Glostopcat

Post by Glostopcat »

Thursday 22nd December a single peacock seen at the top of the Cotswold escarpment on the road leading to Prestbury Hill nature reserve and Cleeve Common
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Started December well with a Red Admiral on 1st December at Southbourne Undercliff near Bournemouth. On 4th December I saw my sought after quarry, a Clouded Yellow at the same site. It was cold then but wall to wall sunshine at 12.40. On 14th at the same site I saw a large female Peacock cruising the slopes. I am hoping for more butterflies here but they really need luck and a lot of searching out at this time of year.

Regards
Mike
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

A Red Admiral basking in the sunshine at 12.30 at a local site in Crawley. By the time I got back with my camera it had gone. The temperature was 9C in almost calm conditions.

Vince
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Drinks all round, I managed to see a very active male Clouded Yellow at Southbourne Undercliff today in bright unbroken sunshine. After a cold start to the day things got slowly warmer. I had ventured there yesterday but it was far too cold and windy. This time I timed it perfectly. I didn't even have to search as it was so obvious. I even managed a few record shots as it landed near me twice. It certainly was not on it's last legs. This was my latest Clouded Yellow observation ever.

Great way to end the Butterfly Year
Regards
Mike
Attachments
Clouded Yellow, Southbourne Undercliff, Dorset. 29.12.16
Clouded Yellow, Southbourne Undercliff, Dorset. 29.12.16
David M

Post by David M »

Ah, fantastic stuff, Mike. Truly heartwarming. I guess in mild winters quite a few Clouded Yellows survive in the UK, and to see one at any time is notable, but in between Christmas and New Year it is undoubtedly exceptional!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

What a great sighting! Perhaps it helps that it has been far less wet and windy than usual. We must remember,though, that winter has only just started,of course.

Return to “Sightings”