Id please for Dragonfly/Darter Italy.

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
LancsRover

Id please for Dragonfly/Darter Italy.

Post by LancsRover »

Could anyone please ID this Dragonfly(pair) photo taken in Italian Lakes on 29th Sept. 2016. My guess is a Common Darter but one is blue(female?) in colour not yellow? At first I thought Ruddy Darter but their legs are all black?
Cheers Russ
Attachments
IMG_5620.JPG
bugboy

Re: Id please for Dragonfly/Darter Italy.

Post by bugboy »

Although I'm not familiar with the continental species I'd say these are Common Darters. The yellow on the legs rules out Ruddy and think I've ruled out all the other Sympetrum in Europe by a process of elimination. The blue you mention on the female is quite normal, you are viewing the underside of her :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Thanks Bugboy for your time and info.

Cheers Russ
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi Russ,

This is definitively common darter (sympetrum striolatum) which is widely distributed in Europe. The yellow streaks on the legs as well as the 2 yellow patches on the side of the thorax are the characteristics of this species. Ruddy darter can be ruled out because as Bugboy said it has black legs and no yellow patches on the side of the thorax.
The other darter found in the region and which also has yellow streaks on the legs (tibias) and which can be confused with the common darter is the yellow winged darter (sympetrum flavoleum) but I can't see the large yellow patches on the wings so common darter it is.
I am not sure whether you are still travelling Russ but the season for dragonflies here in the UK is coming to an end... so take the most of it while you are there. Common Darters can be seen flying in January in the most southern parts of Europe sometimes....
Sylvie
celery

Post by celery »

While we're on the subject of European darters would anyone care to offer the benefit of their wisdom on this one...
P1220094-1qa_edited-1.jpg
Common Darter? - or perhaps Southern Darter Sympetrum meridionale? Or is the latter just wishful thinking?
Seen in mid September on a chalk grassland hillside in low-lying Dordogne, France.

cheers, celery
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice shot Celery! A difficult angle to get a positive ID (for me at least :oops: ) but having flicked through my guide it could be either a Common Darter S. striolatum or Yellow-winged Darter S. flaveolum. :)
marmari

Post by marmari »

Looks like a female Red- veined Darter to me.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

marmari wrote:Looks like a female Red- veined Darter to me.
The Bluish lower half of the eyes? You may well be right there... Sympetrum, the dragonfly equivalent of Pyrgus!
celery

Post by celery »

The eyes have it! Red-veined Darter it is!
marmari and bugboy - thanks both!! :) :)

Another angle for luck...
P1220086-1qa.jpg
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Sylvie, thanks for all the info. I did see the below Migrant Hawker(new to me) on 10th October in southern Switzerland along with another dragonfly which I'm not sure of, have you any idea?
Cheers Russ
Attachments
Migrant Hawker
Migrant Hawker
Not sure about this one??
Not sure about this one??
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi Russ,

The first picture is Aeshna Mixta - Migrant Hawker : Blue eyes, yellow triangle on the second segment of the abdomen and 2 small incomplete bars on the upperside of the thorax.
The second is a Common Darter: 2 yellows patches on the side of the thorax and yellow streaks on legs. At first, I thought this was a red veined darter as the lower part of the eyes looks blue, but I think the blue tinge comes from the reflection of the stone on which it is perched . The extent of the black on the frons tells me that it is a common darter.
Sylvie
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Sylvie, thank you very much for your detailed ID and I'm now a great deal wiser on dragonflies.
Kind regards Russ.

Return to “Identification”