Adonis Blue - Favourite Photo of 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 1 - Here we go!

Starting this week the first opportunity to showcase your favourite shots of 2016! Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Adonis Blue - Favourite Photo of 2016

Post by millerd »

Let's get the ball rolling! As usual it's hard to single out one, so here are a few from particular trips that stand out. Firstly a male from the first brood at Denbies sucking up minerals from the chalk, plus one of several quite blue females seen at the same location a few days earlier.
AB9 280516.JPG
AB8 150516.JPG
Next is a brand new more "normal" female from my visit to the Marsh Fritillaries in Wiltshire, which brings back memories of an excellent day in convivial company.
AB2 290516.JPG
Lastly comes a perfect male from Durlston when the real target was Lulworths.
AB3  270816.JPG
Dave
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Stunning pictures, Dave!

A trip to Denbies to catch the sunset on 29th August, gave me this beautiful female just before sundown:
Adonis Blue, female, Denbies Hillside, Surrey, 29th August 2016
Adonis Blue, female, Denbies Hillside, Surrey, 29th August 2016
And this male just after.
Adonis Blue, male, Denbies Hillside, Surrey, 29th August 2016
Adonis Blue, male, Denbies Hillside, Surrey, 29th August 2016
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

That time of year, already! Where better to start than with the brilliant colour of the Adonis Blue? I missed any sightings of the spring brood, so was determined to catch up with them later in the year. Aston Rowant provided this example, in company with Common Blues, along the earthworks on the lower slopes of the bank. A good memory to carry through the winter...
Aston Rowant NNR - 26th August 2016<br />Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/10 ISO640
Aston Rowant NNR - 26th August 2016
Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/10 ISO640
Mike
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I managed to fill my boots with these in both broods at Denbies and with a little bit of patience I found several males who were willing to sit for me, probably more due to the less than ideal weather conditions we experienced than any real desire to be pestered by a man with a camera! Here's a couple that I'm quite proud of :)
Adonis Blue male, Denbies Hillside #21.JPG
Adonis Blue male, Denbies Hillside #55.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hello,
My favourite Adonis Blue is this female form ceronus seen in mid June, in the South of France, simply because this was my first ever sighting of this form. I wouldn't mind a few more sightings of the same next year.
bellargus11_83 female form ceronus Sainte Baume 05Jun16 (4).JPG
bellargus11_83 female form ceronus Sainte Baume 05Jun16 (2).JPG
Cheers, Chris
celery

Post by celery »

The male and nicely-marked female open-wing shots are from late May in Dordogne. The middle was taken early morning after a cool wet night in early September - still warming up, this individual's wings are covered in tiny droplets of water - also in Dordogne.
Adonis Blue (Polyommatus bellargus) - Saint-Meyme-de-Rozens, Dordogne - 25th May, 2016 (b).jpg
Adonis Blue (Polyommatus bellargus) - Saint-Meyme-de-Rozens, Dordogne - 17th September, 2016.jpg
Adonis Blue (Polyommatus bellargus) - Saint-Meyme-de-Rozens, Dordogne - 25th May, 2016 (a).jpg
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
David M

Post by David M »

One of many species I didn't see in the UK in 2016 due to spending so much time in France.

However, lots of bellargus in both the Pyrenees and the Alps. Here's a female seen in the Parc du Mercantour in July which looks sufficiently blue to be ceronus:
4.ceronus(1).jpg
....and then this one from May in the Pyrenees. Only half of it is Adonis - the other half is Chalkhill! My first ever polonus hybrid:
1Polonusuppers(1).jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello all,
I,m lucky enough to have ,several Adonis colonies near to home( mid- Kent),and can be on site within 20 minutes,and have had a lot of late afternoon visits (from work)
particularly enjoyed looking through the roosting indivuals,for Abberations,as the sun goe's down,and have been lucky enough to find 5 this season,all underwing Abs; and would love to find "Ceronus". the first picture is from the Spring brood, and the second a late summer individual,which was obliging enough to let me experiment,and shade it,
inspired by the brilliant " shaded" Long tailed Blue shot ( by Mud- puddling ) from 2013.
Regards Allan.W.
P1030548.JPG
P1060545.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Adonis Blue

This was taken at The Devenish in the final days of August. For several years at least I’ve envied the aberrant Adonis shots people have posted on UKB – the ones where the underside of the wing is spotless, a blank canvas. This is my favourite Adonis of 2016 as it is an aberrant which is almost the opposite of those blank canvas aberrants I’ve envied, with an almost continuous vertical line of spots running up the underside of the forewing.
DSC_0904 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
IanGD

Post by IanGD »

Hello all,

I have recently registered with this site and this is my first post. I am not sure of the processes but I hope this works.
I live on the western edge of East Anglia so only a few chalk grasslands are easily accessible and Adonis sites are a long way off.

The first is from a visit to Lydden Down in Kent at the end of August.

The second is a first brood specimen found on a visit to Bonchurch Down on the Isle of Wight in early June.

Ian
Attachments
IMGA8019_edited-3.jpg
IMGA5556_edited-2.jpg

Return to “Adonis Blue”