Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by David M »

That's a great sight to see two Brown Hairstreaks in such close proximity, Bugboy.

There's clearly life in the season yet!!

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It was indeed David, just a shame they didn't quite sit right to catch the sun but you can't have everything :)

21st August, Denbies & Bookham

Well that wasn’t very nice, a big windy storm thing arriving just in time for my weekend off! Thankfully today was significantly better than Saturday and since I have yet to find a second brood Adonis, I set off early to catch them (hopefully) waking up on Denbies. A fair bit of sun on the way promised much but a thick blanket of cloud arrived upon my arrival…

A couple of Brown Argus were active one of which made it into my first photograph of the day.
IMG_3431.JPG
Meadow Browns were relatively plentiful, most of them looking very fresh. I'm convinced there are two distinct emergences of these, not double brooded but more something along the lines of what Speckled Woods do. Chalkhills were also about, all though looking rather faded and well past it. I seem to remember last year they outlived the Adonis second brood, doesn’t look like a repeat performance this year.
IMG_3627.JPG
IMG_3514.JPG
Next to be on the receiving end of my camera was a male Adonis. It was still too cloudy for basking but not for feeding.
IMG_3444.JPG
Another lycid was next, a female Common Blue this time… still no basking though.
IMG_3455.JPG
Small Heaths were also enjoying a third brood, lots of fresh individuals being disturbed by my footfall.
IMG_3488.JPG
IMG_3710.JPG
With thinning clouds and patches of blue sky my second Adonis did feel it was bright enough to open his wings and posed perfectly for me, perching on a sprig of Eyebright for some time :) .
IMG_3515.JPG
IMG_3540.JPG
IMG_3546.JPG
A few Silver-spotted Skippers were about, looking a bit worn like the Chalkhills.
IMG_3636.JPG
Approaching lunchtime a few more Adonis began to appear, encouraged out by the larger gaps in the clouds, although not many by any stretch of the imagination. By the time I left around noon I had probably only seen seven or eight, all males
IMG_3724.JPG
IMG_3753.JPG
A very pretty Common Blue was the last butterfly to be captured for posterity before leaving for an afternoon at Bookham.
IMG_3770.JPG
An hour later I found myself wandering around the open scrub at Bookham Commons under some decent blue sky. I found, unfortunately, no Brown Hairstreaks though (although they were there as Millerds diary proves! :mrgreen: )

A fresh Small Tortoiseshell gave me the run-around and only allowed the one record shot
IMG_3787.JPG
And moving into the woods I found a Silver-washed Fritillary who had certainly lived his life to the full. There was still life in him, a passing female grabbed his attention for a while although she was able to lose him with relative ease :lol: .
IMG_3806.JPG
My White Admirals caterpillars this year have been vanishing at a rate of knots, with just one out of five still alive on my last visit. Today there were none. I searched around some other areas but all I found was one more abandoned platform. I think WA had a terrible year this year, they certainly seemed much less numerous than last year here and I heard similar comments when I visited Fermyn.

Returning to Brown Hairstreak territory for one last prowl before home, a few Common Blues were active and so were some Small Coppers, three in total although one escaped my camera.
IMG_3816.JPG
IMG_3817.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm glad you caught up with the Adonis even if the second trip remained lacking in Hairstreaks, Buggy. I certainly didn't see any Fritillaries down at Bookham, mind, even worn ones! :)

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yes I wasn't expecting to see any Fritillaries today!

I did see one other butterfly today which is something of a landmark for me. As I was leaving a male Clouded Yellow was manically flying around some Fleabane. He never settled, hormones obviously ruling his mind, but his presence means I've seen 50 species this year! I never set out to see that many this year. Not bad for a nutter that gets everywhere using public transport (and the odd lift from fellow butterfly nuts)! :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well done Buggy, I envy you the Adonis and 50 species is great :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's great going Bugboy congrats on an great tally:D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

24th August

So where to go on the hottest day of the year so far? I had two species in mind, some more Brown Hairstreaks and Clouded Yellows, both of which had been seen very recently at my home from home, Bookham Commons but I decided to give Steyning another go and then go to the coast, where it would hopefully be a few degrees cooler, for the Yellows.

Armed with the knowledge that google lies occasionally, getting to Steyning was a relative breeze this time and walking up to the hotspot who should I fine camped out in the shade of a tree, Trevor. It was around 10.30 and for the next 2 hours we stalked up and down the hedge, taking the occasional break from the almost unbearable heat under the tree, but not a single Hairstreak was seen. At best we had a couple of possible flybys. I could see what Neil Hulme was saying about all the nibbled Blackthorn, hopefully this is easily rectified. Not much else was active but what was flying wasn’t going to settle, including a male Clouded Yellow going at the usual warp factor 9.

By 12.30 I decided to call it a day here, possibly it was just too hot for them, it was certainly getting too hot for me!

My next destination was Tide Mills, a familiar spot for me and easy enough to get to and according to Trevor, good numbers of Cloudies again this year. I took my time getting there, no point in trying for pictures mid-afternoon and arrived around 4. Small Whites were very numerous, particularly around the Everlasting Peas. Small Heaths were also numerous on the rabbit cropped grass and Common Blues were, well verging on common!
IMG_3828.jpg
IMG_3849.jpg
IMG_3854.jpg
My first Cloudie was a female who seemed to be stuck between looking for somewhere to roost and a bit of last minute basking but she was most inconsiderate to settling suitably for me, dithering here and there before buggering off over a hill.
IMG_3833.jpg
I found another one, a male this time who was obsessed with a patch of Red Valerian, almost perfect except it was on a very steep slope leading down into the water! Still it’s not often you can find a male who’s not going at a hundred miles an hour so I stuck with him and got myself a few shots, just a shame about all the bloody grass stems.
IMG_3870.jpg
IMG_3887.jpg
IMG_3888.jpg
IMG_3900.jpg
IMG_3908.jpg
After another male appeared and they both went their separate ways after a small tussle I wandered off to find a very excited Common Blue, he’d found a female and was doing his level best to impress, I was impressed at his attempts! They remained attempts though, he didn’t get anywhere with her.
IMG_3922.JPG
IMG_3923.JPG
IMG_3924.JPG
IMG_3925.JPG
The only thing I was surprised to be absent were Small Coppers, there were a fair few here last year?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to see you had success at Tide Mills, Paul. Your camera catches the odd glimpse
of that lovely Clouded Yellow upperside very well.
I went straight home after Steyning, and melted in the garden.

All the best,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff there Bugboy :D If 2015 was the 'year of the annoying wind' I think 2016 is the 'year of the grass stem' :x :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Nice to see you found more Clouded Yellows, Buggy. :) Pretty well my last target for the year, though I have seen one relatively briefly. Congratulations on the 50 for the year too - not easy by public transport, so extra points there definitely. :)

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yup Trevor, a little consolation prize to the complete lack of Brown Hairstreaks that morning :)

Grass stems, Wurzel...... :evil:

Thanks Millerd, been a pretty good year for me :D

30th August

I've not been on my local patch for a good few weeks now, so I thought I'd have a wander there this afternoon on my half day from work was long overdue. It's been pretty barren as far as butterflies are concerned on previous outings and I was disappointed to find things hadn't really improved. Whites were reasonably commonplace, not settling for me though in the heat of the afternoon but apart from them butterflies were rather hard to come by. In the course of about 2 hours I disturbed a single Comma who vanished into a bramble thicket, about half a dozen Meadow Browns, a single male Common Blue and a Small Copper. The Copper was the only one that was willing to be photographed although it was trying to stay cool for the most part, so todays post is mostly in the style of Hoggers :)
Staying cool
Staying cool
still staying cool
still staying cool
staying cool and living dangerously with a toe in a spiders web
staying cool and living dangerously with a toe in a spiders web
staying cool and looking good!
staying cool and looking good!
time to catch a few rays
time to catch a few rays
Turns out he was a rather attractive, strongly marked animal!
Turns out he was a rather attractive, strongly marked animal!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

31st August, Bookham Commons

The forecast today was for sunny morning and clouding over by lunchtime so I decided to kill a few hours at Bookham today, not after anything in particular (although a late season Brown Hairstreak would be nice!)
First to fly into view was a faded Small Copper, followed 10 minutes later by a rather fresher boy.
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
The biggest surprise of the day was a web of Peacock larvae, looking to be about to leave their penultimate instar, a second generation perhaps? Certainly very late for a first batch!
IMG_0030.JPG
A few meadow Browns were still about in varying states of wear and tear, and a nice fresh female Speckled Wood posed for me.
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
It didn’t brighten up as much as I was lead to believe and there weren’t too many butterflies to catch my eye so I turned my attentions to the various Hoverflies I was seeing.
Sphaerophoria scripta male
Sphaerophoria scripta male
Eupeodes latifasciatus
Eupeodes latifasciatus
Helophilus pendulus
Helophilus pendulus
Syrphus sp.
Syrphus sp.
Eristalis arbustorum
Eristalis arbustorum
Platycheirus scutatus
Platycheirus scutatus
As it was getting close to lunch things began to get brighter, a few whites started showing up, a couple more Coppers and a Common Blue caught my attention
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
and then a proper little stunner of a Painted Lady appeared. She initially whizzed by but a few minutes later I found her feeding, and to use a Wurzelism, she was ‘fresh out of the box’! A gorgeous deep, rich orange with that lush pink blush of a fresh animal.
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG
I had planned other things for the supposedly cloudy afternoon but, rather annoyingly, if anything it seemed to brighten up on my trip back into London. Oh well, weekend off, hopefully it will stay warm for a few more days at least!

millerd

Post by millerd »

They must be second brood Peacocks, Buggy. Far too late to be anything else. With luck, the weather will hold long enough for them to become adults and feed up enough to hibernate. I found some a few years back, but slightly earlier and the butterflies emerged in the first week of September. Maybe the warm dry and sunny August (in the south at least) has caused this.

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Buggy, I hope you see those Peacocks flying :D

I'm just catching up on posts and I must say those Adonis Blues you posted ( August 21st really caught their lovely Blue colour,) Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A 'Wurzelism'...I like that :D 8) That Painted Lady is a cracker :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yea, you're almost certainly right Millerd, I can't see how any Peacocks could have survived that long to lay! They need to hurry up Goldie, there's plenty of Fleabane to fatten up on at the moment but that wont last much longer and there's precious little else to feed on at this time of year.

Thanks Wurzel, there's a few Wurzelism's in my vocabulary now :wink: :lol:

3rd September, Coppers and Specklies

Up until this morning, today had seemed to be a bit of a washout, but then this morning’s forecast said the rain wouldn’t get to my part of the world until quite late in the day. My well-deserved lay in meant that staying local was the only option and since I haven’t been to Epping forest since the spring, that was the destination of choice. I can remember a day last September made up primarily of Speckled Woods and Small Coppers here and I fully expected today would be of similar lepidopteran fare.

It didn’t take long for the first Specklie to show up, a fresh female quickly followed by a few males battling over a sunny glade.
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
They continued to turn up quite regularly as I made my way to the meadow where I found the Coppers last year. Again it didn’t take long for my target to turn up, a little glittering Copper getting buffeted as he tried to bask and feed in the blustery breeze.
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
A stones throw from him I found another two feeding. As I approached, hoping to get them both in frame one flew up, quickly attracting the attention of the other and I watched as they alighted and started to flirt. I wasn’t able to get a clear shot since the female was leading him a dance through the Ragwort flower head. Although she didn’t seem to be giving him the heave-ho, I was quite surprised when he lost interest after only a short while leaving me with her.
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
He hadn’t gone far though and I disturbed him a short while later, looking very dashing sporting his fine set of blue badges in the sun!
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
3 Small Coppers seen in one place outside Dungerness, almost unheard of these days! :shock:

Back into the wood more Specklies showed up, it’s good to find they have recovered well after their disastrous spring round here.
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
The only other species seen were a few female Meadow Browns and a Red Admiral flyby.

Only an hour out today (it clouded over by 1pm) but satisfying nonetheless.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Great work with the Coppers, I have been missing them this year. Love the first Copper shot, it looks like a movie ending where it is about to fly off into the sunset.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Katrina, I've not seen many this year but like last year they seem to have picked up a bit late in the season in some of my regular haunts. When I do find one though I tend to make the most of them!

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Bugboy
Nice to see you have found some Small Copper action :D . Like you I have not seen many this year, but I have actually tripled my Small Copper count for the year in the last 5 days :D :D . Nice selection of Hoverflies as well :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Three Small Coppers :shock: You'll be giving Hoggers a run for his money at this rate :shock: :wink: Lovely series of shots - especially the final Blue Badger :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”