Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Just started having a few butterflies in my garden over the past few days after not much at all for a while, a few 'Whites' and Holly Blues are how showing up plus the usual Specklies and Ringlets.

I believe that Bowles Mauve is a short lived perennial that usually only lasts a few years. I have read that the usual practice is to take regular cuttings to ensure a supply of new plants.

Cheers,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Friday 22nd July,

Well, what a difference in the weather this week as I spent most of it sweltering in our office at work. Last weekend was mostly family stuff but I did manage an hour or so on Sunday (July 17th) afternoon at my local spot at Castle Hills near Solihull.
All the usual species were seen, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers, Marbled Whites Large, Small and Essex Skippers, although none except the Marbled Whites were in the kind of numbers that I would normally expect at this time of year. Gatekeepers in particular were scarce with only half a dozen seen, all males, which is well down on what I would usually see here. Also seen were a couple each of Commas & Small Tortoiseshells plus a single Red Admiral, all of which were very active in the warm mid-afternoon sun. In fact I took very few photos, mostly just ropy record shots to confirm the presence of both Small and Essex Skippers, plus the mating pair of Meadow Browns below.
Meadow Brown pair - Castle Hills 17.07.2016
Meadow Brown pair - Castle Hills 17.07.2016
On Wednesday (20th July) afternoon I cashed in some brownie points and after finishing work at 4.00pm went round to Ryton Wood. I spent a couple of hours here wandering around the various paths and saw a dozen or so Silver-washed Fritillaries and 7 or 8 White Admirals.
Silver-washed Fritillary - Ryton Wood 20.07.2016
Silver-washed Fritillary - Ryton Wood 20.07.2016
White Admiral - Ryton Wood 20.07.2016
Again the usual Ringlets and Meadow Browns were fluttering about but not in the numbers I would usually expect and as at Solihull on Sunday I saw just half a dozen or so Gatekeepers.
Gatekeeper - Ryton Wood 20.07.2016
Gatekeeper - Ryton Wood 20.07.2016

A couple of Commas, singles of Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral, a few Large and Small Skippers plus Large, Small and GV Whites made up the other species seen. The numerous patches of brambles around the wood were strangely quiet with very few butterflies on them, just the odd Ringlet seen on the flowers, and most of the butterflies seen were actively flying about right up until gone 6.00pm when I had to make a move for home.

At one point the clouds built up and a couple of rumbles of thunder were heard but nothing came of it and the sun was soon out again abeit with a freshening breeze that was blowing the tops of the trees about. Each time the breeze dropped I would scan the tops of the numerous Oak trees and would see quite a few Purple Hairstreaks flitting about but they would soon disappear when the breeze picked up.

A nice couple of hours but the feeling is still that this season is shaping up to be a poor one for many of our butterfly species with numbers of Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers in particular being well down so far.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Gorgeous White Admirals Neil - you've really caught the subtle markings on the edges of the hind wings :mrgreen: :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Butterflies Neil, I've not seen a Gate Keeper here yet Neil, I keep going to Hall-Lee-Brook to look if they've arrived no luck yet though, I did get a few Whites in the Garden on my Buddliea but nothing else so far.
My Boules M plant on the back Garden has died a death but I've two more on the front so I'll take some cuttings from them see what happens :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments Wurzel, and Goldie :D and good luck with your cuttings Goldie.

Saturday 23rd July

A couple of hours around my local spot at Bickenhill near Solihull on a warm and muggy afternoon with 50/50 cloud and sun produced most of the expected species but, as has been a common theme this year, none of them were in the sort of numbers that they should be for this time of year.
Ringlets appeared to be coming to the end of their season this year with most of those seen looking old and tired. Meadow Browns were pretty well scattered about across the grassy meadows but numbers were well down on previous years.
At least some of the Meadow Browns that I did see were doing their best to ensure that there would be some around next year with a numbers of mating pairs spotted.
Meadow Brown pair - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Gatekeeper numbers seemed to be on the up with a couple of dozen seen including a few females and it remains to be seen what kind of season they will have but indications so far seem to be that they will have a poor year around here along with the Meadow Browns.
Gatekeeper - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Gatekeeper - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Easily the most numerous were Small / Essex Skippers with both species buzzing about in good numbers albeit even these were lower than I have seen here before. It was interesting to note that each species was concentrated in its own parts of the meadows with Small Skippers dominating in one spot and Essex in another with an overlap in between where they were both flying together. This is a something that I have noticed before, both here and at other sites, and is no doubt due to the two species females’ preference for different grasses to lay their eggs on, usually Yorkshire-fog for Small Skippers and Cocks-foot for Essex I believe.
As usual with these two species I spent some time taking record shots in order to confirm their ID and my impression was that there were present in roughly equal numbers, but they were very active in the warm and muggy conditions which made it just about impossible to do an accurate count.
Small Skipper pair - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Small Skipper pair - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Small Skipper - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Essex Skipper - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Essex Skipper female laying eggs in grass stem
Essex Skipper female laying eggs in grass stem
I was pleased to see three or four Marbled Whites here as I have only ever seen one individual at this site before although it is only a mile or so from where they have recently spread to and can now be found in good numbers. This is one species that is doing well around here this year with numbers increasing year on year after they spread here a few years ago.
Marbled White - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Marbled White - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Other species seen were a couple each of Comma, Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral, all of which were very active in the warm mid-afternoon conditions, as were the constantly patrolling whites of all three common species that were also about in good numbers.
In previous years this has been a good site for summer Peacocks, even last year when summer brood numbers seemed to crash there were a few here, but I have seen none so far this year.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Neil, I want some of the Essex Skipper when I come down to Kent if possible. I finally saw some GK's today. Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Good luck with the Essex Skippers when you go south...although at the rate they are spreading it can't be long before they reach your neck of the woods.

Friday 29th July

Another fairly quiet week for me on the butterfly front. Weather has been mixed with some hefty showers but also some nice warm sunny spells which has seen decent numbers of all three common whites flying on my journeys home from work and in my garden. Three or four different male Speckled Wood have been about in the garden along with a couple of females and at least two different male Gatekeepers joined them earlier in the week. Holly Blue numbers seem to be on the up too with three individuals chasing each other around on Wednesday afternoon and at least a couple passing through on most days.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 24.07.2016
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 24.07.2016
Gatekeeper ab.excessa - Coverdale 26.07.2016
Gatekeeper ab.excessa - Coverdale 26.07.2016
Holly Blue - Coverdale 29.07.2016
Holly Blue - Coverdale 29.07.2016
The generally low numbers of butterflies around here this summer has been mirrored at night with poor catches for the time of year being reported on various FB moths groups. With this being my first year of running a trap in my garden I cannot make a comparison with previous years but I have been averaging around 30+ macros and a couple of dozen micros on most nights that I have run the trap recently, apparently well down on what I should expect for July. My tally so far is at 102 macro species and 40 micros that I have managed to identify.

A selection of garden moths from the past few weeks;
Grey Dagger
Grey Dagger
Blackneck
Blackneck
Dot Moth
Dot Moth
Early Thorn - second generation
Early Thorn - second generation
Marbled Beauties - 3 of 8 in the trap on 20th July
Marbled Beauties - 3 of 8 in the trap on 20th July
Vapourer
Vapourer
Antler Moth
Antler Moth
Dun-bar
Dun-bar
Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing
Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing
Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing
Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing
I just couldn't resist posting another Poplar Hawk...I have had 4 of these recently, still the only hawk species to come to the trap so far.
I just couldn't resist posting another Poplar Hawk...I have had 4 of these recently, still the only hawk species to come to the trap so far.
Bye for now,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That excessa is ace Neil :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D How you can say that it's been a quiet week when you've seen that I don't know :roll: :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, I don't think I've ever seen such an extreme Gatekeeper, Neil. :mrgreen: That selection of moths is amazing, too - it almost makes you want to take the first steps down that slippery slope! :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots of the ab Neil, there seems to be quite a lot of ab's about just now. your moth shot's are good too, I saw a few small White moths at HLB today but they went instantly under the leaves no chance to get a shot of them. Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A stunning selection of moths Neil, especially that Poplar Hawk and what a great photograph. The colours are complementary (how did you do that??? :mrgreen: ) and a great composition which I always think makes for a cohesive result. By coincidence I, too, had one in the trap last night and what amazing creatures they are. I'm afraid my efforts don't quite match up to yours which you will see for yourself when I get round to posting :roll:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, a pity he wasn't in better nick but still a nice one for the garden :D

Hi Dave, that is pretty well how I started, looking at other photos which got me thinking...dangerous stuff :wink:

Hi Goldie, I have noticed before that there seems to be more variation in Gatekeepers further north.

Thanks Pauline, glad you like the moths and thanks for the comments on the Poplar Hawk. I just posed him on an old fence post which I use for a lot of my moth shots and moved it about until I got a background I liked. The Poplar Hawks are nice docile moths unlike a lot of the others, especially geos which can be a pain to get a decent shot of.

Saturday 30th July

A couple of hours at Shadowbrook Meadows near Solihull on Saturday afternoon in mostly overcast conditions reinforced the impression that this is a poor season for some of our common species. Although cloudy, the air temperature was around 20c and there were some occasional short spells of warm sun during which this site should have been alive with Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers with a supporting cast of Whites, Skippers, Common Blues, Small Coppers and summer vanessids.
I have never seen this site so quiet at this time of year with only Green-veined Whites seen in anything approaching the normal sort of numbers I would expect. A maximum of 30-40 Meadow Browns were seen across the four meadows that make up this site whereas there should have been hundreds and just a few Gatekeepers were seen when usually the dividing hedges would be alive with them. A few Large White were present and maybe a couple of dozen Small Skippers were zipping about plus a couple of Speckled Wood and singles of Comma, Red Admiral and Peacock were also seen.
As well as the low numbers, a lot of the butterflies were looking worn and bit bedraggled, no doubt as a result of some of the heavy showers we have had over the past few days.
Gatekeeper female - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Gatekeeper male - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Gatekeeper male - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Speckled Wood - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Speckled Wood - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Green-veined White - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Green-veined White - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Comma - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Comma - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Red Admiral - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Red Admiral - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Peacock - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Peacock - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
I have previously seen Common Blue, Brown Argus and Small Copper flying here in late July but none of these showed up this time...fingers crossed they are just late.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm crossing my fingers for you as well Neil :? Your second Hedge Brown seems to have 2 spots on the left and 1 on the right of the fore wing under the 'eyes' - nice :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, Just getting RA and saw the first Peacock yesterday, hope fully things are on the way out now. Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, she was a particularly large and impressive individual as well :D

Hi Goldie, yes lets hope that things improve but this season has already proved to be a poor one for a number of species.

Saturday 30th July - addendum

We had a particularly nice sunset over the garden on Saturday evening...
Coverdale 30.07.16  001.JPG
Sunday 31st July

It was Jane's birthday on Sunday and all three of our grown up kids came round to visit so it was a day spent around the house doing family stuff. It was another mostly overcast day and slightly cooler than Saturday but I still managed a few stints in the garden during which I saw good numbers of whites passing through plus a few Holly Blues including a male that settled fairly high up in the Ivy and nice female that settled lower down and posed for a few shots.
Holly Blue male - tight crop of a long distance shot.
Holly Blue male - tight crop of a long distance shot.
Holly Blue female - Coverdale 31.07.2016
A single slightly tatty Comma also popped in for a brief visit,
Comma - Coverdale 31.07.2016
Comma - Coverdale 31.07.2016
The usual Speckled Woods were also there, in fact looking through my photos afterwards there were more different individuals than I originally thought...a separate post on these to follow.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice shots of the Holly Blues, Neil, especially the females :D We've been looking for second brood Holly Blues in our garden - so far without success :roll: Last year there were plenty.

Mike

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a lovely female Holly Blue, Neil. :) They do seem sparse in the second brood round here unfortunately.

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Mike :D

The Holly Blues have been showing up here for the past week or so with two or three in the garden whenever it has been warm enough.

Edit; Cheers Dave, nearly missed your comment whilst I was writing the next bit. Holly Blue numbers seem about normal for me around here although I never have had the numbers that you have had down your way.

Sunday Specklies

As mentioned in my previous post I also saw a number of Speckled Wood in the garden on Sunday. From around mid-morning until around 5.30 in the afternoon there seemed to be three or four males holding territories in the usual spots, plus an occasional wandering female which is the usual sort of numbers I would expect in the garden at this time of year.
As is my usual practice with the garden Specklies, I took loads of photos to try and identify different individuals by differences in markings and wear so that I can try and keep track of how they are doing each year. On checking the photos later I was surprised to see that I had in fact photographed eight different males, all in various states of wear.
Speckled Wood male #1
Speckled Wood male #1
Speckled Wood male #2
Speckled Wood male #2
Speckled Wood male #3
Speckled Wood male #3
Speckled Wood male #4
Speckled Wood male #4
Speckled Wood male #5
Speckled Wood male #5
Speckled Wood male #6
Speckled Wood male #6
Speckled Wood male #7
Speckled Wood male #7
Speckled Wood male #8
Speckled Wood male #8
I have read up quite a bit on the Speckled Wood over the past couple of years and apparently males can be divided into 'perchers' and 'patrollers' with some taking up a fixed territory and others becoming more mobile depending on weather conditions and time of season. Also those with four spots on the hind wing tend to perch whereas those with three spots tend to patrol. There is a good description of these behaviours in the section on this species in The Butterflies of Britain & Ireland (Thomas & Lewington). It would appear that I had a number of patrollers passing through on Sunday.

As well as the males, three different females were identified, making eleven individuals seen in the garden on Sunday.
Speckled Wood female #1
Speckled Wood female #1
Speckled Wood female #2
Speckled Wood female #2
Speckled Wood female #3
Speckled Wood female #3
With these and the Specklies that I have seen at other local spots recently it would seem that this is one species that is having a fairly good season so far, at least around here :D

Bye for now,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

I'm most envious, Neil. Female Holly Blues posing like that anytime is a joy, but to have it in your own garden....

:mrgreen:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with David Neil :mrgreen: Great Specklies as always :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”