July 2016

Discussion forum for sightings.
Philzoid

July 2016

Post by Philzoid »

A 40 minute session at Dawney's before rain sent me on my way. Loads of Silver-studded blue :D I estimated a colony size of at least 1000 with 90% of them males:-
IMG_8189 Silver-studded Blue (female), Dawneys.jpg
IMG_8183 Silver-studded Blue (female), Dawneys.jpg
IMG_8194 Silver-studded Blue (male), Dawneys.jpg
IMG_8206 Silver-studded Blue (male), Dawneys.jpg
This one as small as a small Small Blue
This one as small as a small Small Blue
Phil
millerd

Re: July 2016

Post by millerd »

Amazing numbers, Phil - not everything is having a bad year. It looks as if the work they did at this site two years ago to clear some of the gorse has done the trick. :)

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

My very first Gatekeeper of the year, seen today on my local patch near Heathrow. Just the one...
GK2 020716.JPG
Dave
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Here's a couple of male Small Coppers ( one from today, the other from yesterday ) both at Dungeness, showing reduced orange bands on the hind wings
IMG_9458.JPG
IMG_9604.JPG
I counted 109 Small Coppers there today ( 141 yesterday )
IMG_9591.JPG
Best wishes,

Hoggers
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

millerd wrote:Amazing numbers, Phil - not everything is having a bad year. It looks as if the work they did at this site two years ago to clear some of the gorse has done the trick.
Thanks Dave. I can't recall seeing that many Silver-studs there before :) Mind you, the entrance area, perhaps half of that end of the site, has been (recently?) cleared and looks like a sandy wasteland :shock: . It’s got rid of the Birch and most of the grasses but the gorse is already sprouting back. Looking at it now it’s hard to believe the heather will return but I assume it will, as the butterflies numbers are testament to how well it’s being managed.
Hoggers wrote:I counted 109 Small Coppers there today ( 141 yesterday )
Fantastic numbers of Small Copper Hoggers 8) . The last picture has 7 individuals which must be a Small Copper photo record surely?

Phil
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Another poor transect result at High Elms LNR , near Bromley was only lifted by 8 Small Skipper and two pristine male Silver-washed Fritillary .
Attachments
_MG_4300.JPG
_MG_4323.JPG
_MG_4316.JPG
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Oxfordshire, 2 July 2016 - at Bernwood Forest, although there are plenty already on the wing, Ringlets are still emerging:
Dsc06721.jpg
Dsc06762.jpg
I also saw my first Silver-washed Fritillary of the year. Surprisingly no Speckled Woods there, but they are flying elsewhere in the county.
Dsc06679.jpg
This tiny but colourful micro-moth Pammene aurana was at Wheatley services on the M40, oblivious to the traffic behind it.
Dsc06730.jpg
kentishman

Post by kentishman »

As I have not seen many PE posts this year (not surprised considering the 2016 weather) i thought i would post these (uncropped,300mm lens) proof shots from the small colony at Dene Park Tonbridge TN10 taken lunchtime today.
As a beginner I am still waiting for that elusive, decent, ground shot!
Attachments
aa IMG_9976.jpg
aa IMG_9950.jpg
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

There have been a few sightings in Sussex. I'm planning to check a Suffolk site this weekend so I'm glad to see more evidence that they're coming out. The best lure to get them down is dog ***t. It does spoil the photo somewhat though.
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

After yesterday's SIlver-washed Fritillaries , I made a morning visit to Lullingstone CP , finding 25+ Dark Green Fritillary , all freshly emerged , including one female . Most numerous species , Marbled White , with a 250+ count .
Attachments
_MG_4362.JPG
_MG_4381.JPG
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Phil, yes there were 7 Coppers in that one photo - certainly unusual to see so many together and not having a punch up!

I think they were slightly boozed up on the Privet nectar!

Hoggers.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Last Sunday (3/7/16) i went searching for the Dark Green Fritillary, at Lullingstone Country Park, Kent. I spent 6 hours on location, an had the place to myself! I was surprised not to see any other Butterfly enthusiasts?!

Other species seen on the day were - Marbled Whites(100's) Large/Small Skippers(very good numbers) and possible Essex Skippers? Good numbers of both Ringlets and Meadow Browns, 1 Fresh female Common Blue, 1 tatty male Common Blue, 1 Small Heath, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Large White.

As for the Dark Green Fritillaries, i would say no more than 15 males, and just the 1 female sighted.

Location - Lullingstone, Kent. Cheers Paul.

Male DGF.
3rd-July-2016-to-600c.jpg
Female DGF.
3rd-July-2016-to-600g.jpg
Female DGF.
3rd-July-2016-to-600h.jpg
Female Marbled White.
3rd-July-2016-to-600a.jpg

Im not sure if this is a Small Skipper or Essex Skipper?? Looks like an Essex Skipper to me? but i could be wrong?
3rd-July-2016-to-600e.jpg
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Paul.

Looks good for a male Essex to me.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Greenie wrote:After yesterday's SIlver-washed Fritillaries , I made a morning visit to Lullingstone CP , finding 25+ Dark Green Fritillary , all freshly emerged , including one female . Most numerous species , Marbled White , with a 250+ count .
Hi Greenie, glad to see others have visited Lullingstone CP for the DGF's. It would seem that more have emerged there now, since Sunday.
I see you found a lovely female amongst all those males :wink: I wasnt sure if i had sighted 2 females on Sunday?? so i just went with seeing/counting the one.
Certainly a great location for Marbled Whites too.

Cheers Paul.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Mark Colvin wrote:Hi Paul.

Looks good for a male Essex to me.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark
Thanks very much Mark, for the swift I.D. confirmation.
Cheers Paul.
P.J.Underwood

Purple Emperors at Botany Bay.

Post by P.J.Underwood »

At last after five visits I have made contact with them.The first was seen by Trevor on Monday 10 mins after I left.As Mark Colvin said on Tuesday "if you are not there you will not see them".Wise words indeed.Nothing seen on Tuesday,an early one briefly by a lady on a bicycle on Wednesday morning,and today,Thursday,we were entertained by two transfixed on the ground for about twenty minutes each at different locations.This was partly due to the baits being laid by Trevor and N.H.
For two or three days we should be lucky now.
We do have one question for the experts..."Do the males just come down once for their salts or can they come down each day for a few days?"
P.J.U.
Attachments
P.E.1 with damaged wing
P.E.1 with damaged wing
P.E.2
P.E.2
P.E.2
P.E.2
P.J.Underwood

re Purple Emperors

Post by P.J.Underwood »

I see that Katrina also saw two yesterday (after I left!),so the number of sightings is increasing.
P.J.U.
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Purple Emperors at Woodwalton Fen

Iris, having returned to this site about 4 or 5 years ago, now seems well and truly established.
This is quite handy for me as the fen is within walking distance of where I live :)
Today I went to the Rothschild's bungalow, a location where they are prone to come down and feed on a variety of 'foods'.
3 separate males showed different preferences
This one liked paint...
This one liked paint...
...this one creosote
...this one creosote
...and this one the soil.
...and this one the soil.
Purple Emperor 160708 993.jpg
Purple Emperor 160708 979.jpg
No baits were used to attract them down but that is my next move.
richardjackie

Post by richardjackie »

We have had a glorious infestation of Scarlet Tiger Moths in our back garden this year, last year just a couple of couples.

Oh, the picture has come out sideways, it is on a vertical Brachycome outside the kitchen window.
Attachments
IMG_9508.JPG
Marc Heath

Post by Marc Heath »

A few photos of Heath Fritillaries taken from East Blean Woods, Kent. Lots more photos @ http://www.marcheath.blogspot.com

Marc
Attachments
heath2.jpg
hfrit1.jpg

Return to “Sightings”