Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Pauline :D There were a couple about at Botany Bay - normally I'm so stunned to have seen one that I forget to try for any shots :oops: , I was lucky with this one as it hung around long enough for me to 'snap out of it' :lol:
Cheers Mike :D SSSHHHH don't mention Moths, I did once but I think I got away with it :wink: :lol:
Cheers Goldie :D I got lucky with those as somehow I managed to approach teh butterfly without it doing it's usual thing of bu$$ering off just as I get focused :roll:

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Wurzel,

Entertaining reading in your recent reports with some great photos to accompany them. I have to agree with the comments by others about the Bee Hawk, great stuff :mrgreen: :D
MikeOxon wrote:... I had better whisper this very quietly here but, sometimes, I think the extraordinary variety in moths makes butterflies seem a bit boring :twisted:

Mike
Hee hee :lol: I quite understand the fascination with moths having jumped into that world this year with my garden trap but I still find our butterflies fascinating too. For me they are just two aspects of the same interest...just need to find a way now to stretch time to fit it all in :wink:

Cheers,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D If only there was 25, 26 or even 27 hours in a day...I'm sure my wife would find me lots of other things to do rather than spending those extra hours on butterflies :shock: :lol:

Working Lunch 24-05-2016

Probably one of the worst things about working where I work is that I’m surrounded on all sides by rolling Chalk Downland and there are often reports pinging into my inbox informing me that there are Dukes and Marshies or Dark Green Fritillaries a very short drive away. However up until recently I didn’t think that I’d really have enough time to reach any of them during a lunchbreak plus there is the other problem of not knowing a site well enough. With Larkhill, Vera Jones and The Devenish I’d visited them before they became ‘stop-off’ destinations and so I would get there as quickly as possible and then leg it to the area which I knew had previously held a certain species e.g. at Larkhill Westbound path for Adonis or at The Devenish smaller Paddock for Gatekeepers. However with visiting new sites I feared that I’d arrive and not know where to go to maximise my haul as it were. But today I bit the bullet and did a trial run.

I set upon visiting the Down up by the Horse and so come lunch time I was ready. A steady walk to the car and then I timed how long it took to arrive (so the same time to return plus 5 minutes should mean not being back late). First problem – where to leave the car? So a bit of time wasted with a three point turn and heading back over the same ground and evetually my Note was ensconced in a lay-by. Problem 2 – how to actually get onto the site. There were no noticeable footpaths near the lay-by so I walked along the verge down the hill until I found a stile. And now I faced the biggest problem – I was almost ‘on site’ but where to go, what should I look for? The habitat didn’t look at promising as it had when I’d gazed longingly out of the window from work. Now I was walking along the ‘creep’ walkways most of the vegetation was of the same type same length. I decided to head straight down to the bottom and then cut across through the scrub which would offer a more mosaic habitat spread and so hopefully different species.

It seemed to pay off because as soon as I reached the bottom I found 2 Small Heaths and a single tired but resilient looking Dingy. Another couple of minutes scouring the ‘foothills’ however didn’t turn up anything else so I set off working my way back up the very steep hill, zig-zagging for all I was worth to make the ascent feel easier. As I continued my ascent I kept my eyes peeled in case anything should turn up but very quickly the vegetation soon became a monoculture and I held little hope of seeing anything else, though calves burning with lactic acid I still scanned for butterflies.
Soon I was back at the top near to where I’d made my original descent but this time I cut back to the stile via a footpath which hugged the side of a field. I did see another butterfly a female Large White. She was posing nicely, far to intent on feeding to worry about how she looked for the camera and so she let her guard slip and so for the first time in a couple of years I managed to get a decent-ish shot of an open winged Large White.
DSC_0853 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0863 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0868 - Copy.JPG
I made it back in time for the end of the lunch break and in the few moments of peace that remained before the hoards arrived I reflected on the lunchtime trip. A bit to frenetic even for my liking? Not exactly that rewarding after all that effort? And as I continued reflecting the same thought came back – is there somewhere better I could try next time?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Opened Winged Large White all the same Wurzel :D not quite a total loss. Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Opened Winged Large White all the same Wurzel :D not quite a total loss. Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'm often surprised by how what seemed such a small place, when viewed on a map, seems absolutely huge, when you're out in the field. It's always good to explore new places, however, and there's usually something interesting to be found, even if not the original target.

Nice 'White' photos - a very under-recorded species, photographically :)

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Nope but not quite worth the burn in my calves :(
Cheers Mike :D I know what you mean about getting the idea of the scale of a place wrong - I got the idea that Hutchinson's would be huge from looking at Google Maps when actually it was much smaller. The Whites are under photographed probably because they can be such pains - never sitting still for long enough, never opening their wings for very long etc etc.

The Devenish 28-05-2016

After a hectic few weekends of mixing work, painting and butterflying it was all set to be more of the same with but somehow I found myself with a spare hour between pick-ups and so I headed over to the Devenish to try my luck. I was hoping for some Common Blues after my initial sighting at Hutchinson’s Bank and also my first Brown Argus of the year. This little butterfly has been a long time emerging this year and has been worryingly absent from a number of sites which I’ve visited and where it has been previously common. The weather wasn’t too great so it was going to be a case of ‘suck it and see’…

Upon arrival I set up the track and over the first of the three fences to get into the Orchid Meadow as it is termed. The grass in places here was waist deep and it was a case of trying to find the narrow track and then appearing to wade through the grass with the Banded Demioselles taking to the wing all around. Once I’d reached the shorter turf I scanned about and a silvery blur passed before my eyes – my first brown Argus of 2016. I tried to follow it but it was so small and frenetic that I lost it but I didn’t mind as another put in an appearance almost immediately the first had left. Also here there were a couple of Small Heath and a single Dingy.
DSC_0905 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0920 - Copy.JPG
I then made my way up the side of the Down hoping to find a few Adonis as well as some Common Blues but again the late spring and poor weather dashed my hopes and the Adonis weren’t out yet – that is if they do emerge here? I traversed across the side of the Down from the still a Peacock took off from one of the small patches of soil and glided down to the treeline. I followed it as carefully as I could and managed a few shots before retreating not wishing to disturb it. Back up the Down side I went and there finally was a proper Blue. The first views I had of it were of a butterfly partially concealed by blades of grass had I had to contort my neck at strange angles to get even a half way decent shot. Even then half the head or antennae were missing but even these dismal shots were worth it as they showed the variation in the underside markings. Luckily it decided to move off and I managed to stalk it whilst it was relatively clear of stray grass blades.
DSC_0931 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0932 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0946 - Copy.JPG
I then made my way across both sides the Down and only added a solitary Grizzlie for all that walking – here we are almost in June and it’s like we’ve already entered the June gap before the Blues have even peaked. Back down in the Orchid Meadow I spent a bit of time patrolling the and in doing so caught up with a Dingy, Grizzlies and both of the Brown Argus. They were like a complimentary pair who between would have made the perfect specimen. One was beautiful chocolate brown with really bright lunules but with a tear in the hind wing and the other was almost complete but had lost the lustre and chocolatey freshness. I realised that I was running out of time and so had to leg it back to the car if I was to pick up K. In fact I was so short of time I didn’t even stop for the Specklie that seems to have set up territory by the gate.
DSC_0955 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0987 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0994 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1005 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely Grizzly shot, Wurzel. We saw lot's of Grizzly types in the Cevennes, but none of them UK varieties.
Very confusing, enough to fry the brain !! :?

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel
I agree with Trevor that second Grizzled Skipper shot is super :D It is also nice to see some Brown Argus, I have just realised that I have not seen one this year :( .

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel fantastic shots of the Butterflies, I was at Gait Barrow yesterday, no NBA yet, I hope to see the Brown Argus when I come South in three weeks, your shot is lovely. Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great stuff as always there Wurzel, I too love the Grizzly shot with the two Soldier Beetles having a face off in the foreground :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I agree with that - it's a great (and unusual) Grizzly shot! :) I also have concerns about the Brown Argus this year - just one see locally and very few elsewhere. :(

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D My jealousy prevents me from feeling any sympathy at having to sort through the ID of all those different Grizzlie species :mrgreen: :wink:
Cheers Paul :D I was chuffed with that shot - the BAs don't seem to be having the best time at the moment :?
Cheers Goldie :D Good luck with the BAs :D
Cheers Bugboy :D It was nice to get a familair species in a different aspect :D
Cheers Dave :D I saw my first BA at Larkhill today which makes sightings at only three sites :( I hope they can bounce back in the second brood :?

Marshie Site 29-05-2016

Since discovering my Marshie Site Philzoid and I have tried to make it an annual event. Well we tried, but last year we failed and so this year we needed to make amends. Things looked good – I’d done a sly recce and so knew that they were flying, my wife was taking K to London to see Matilda and the weather for the weekend was looking good for once. So it was all systems go for Phizloid, little L and I!

After a quick car change in Salisbury we were bombing on our way and very shortly we were at the Round About. The pull in was packed with the most cars that I’ve ever seen here so I had to abandon the car on the verge. We grabbed the gear and cameras (Little L had my old iPod) and up the track/hill we went. Progress was slow as every few steps something would catch our eyes, from Beetles to caterpillars, the odd fly-by butterfly (Orange-tip in this case) and eventually Philzoid found my first Large Skipper of 2016 just as we’d broken out of the tree cover. By now we’d reached the first little flattened hollow and there were are first couple of Marshies along with a Brown Argus, 2 Common Blues, Dinghies and Grizzlies, a single Greenstreak as well as numerous Whites patrolling along the hedge row and distracting us temporarily from the Yellowhammer singing from the top of a Hawthorn. Little L was delighted by the 5-6 Spot Burnett Moths, gingerly stalking them with iPod held out at arms’ reach; it was great to see.
DSC_0968 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1001 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1028 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1044 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1049 - Copy.JPG
After the brief but productive explore here we carried on round to the Amphitheatre. A brief pause here saw us add Small Heath to the days tally a long with further Dinghies, Grizzlies, Marshies and Common Blues. In the longer grasses a Small Blue flew seemingly setting up a territorial watch area on a bent blade of grass. This was all during just a few minutes but we decided to crack on further round reasoning that we’d probably end up spending a good while back here later.
DSC_1057 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1063 - Copy.JPG
As we traversed the Downside putting up all manner of moths and butterflies from beside the narrow tracks created by creep or rabbits a familiar figure appeared. A Miller finally met in the field! After catching up and setting up camp for Little L (there is only so much butterfly photography she can do) we three trepid explorers set off to see what we could see. We worked our way along the hillside with some Adonis appearing amongst plenty of Marshies, including one huge female who was massive. The cleared area along the bottom of the hill held numerous Greenstreaks but nothing in the way of a Wall although there was another Red Admiral and a definite Large White plus a couple of luscious Small Blues another couple of Large Skippers and the ubiquitous Marshies.
DSC_1078 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1088 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1111 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1118 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1131 - Copy.JPG
I found a pair of Brown Argus that looked like they were going to copulate. However at this point a group of ‘fellow’ enthusiasts arrived on the scene amongst much trampling of vegetation. It’s a good job butterflies don’t seem sensitive to loud noises as one women crashed through the undergrowth hollering “What’s he got there?” and “Is it a mating pair?”. Luckily the butterflies were on a steep part of the slope and Philzoid managed to fend her off but by the time I’d gotten back onto them the female had decided that copulation wasn’t on the cards and so they parted company.
DSC_1135 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1144 - Copy.JPG
We’d almost arrived back at camp L and Dave was remaking how similar a Grizzlies pattern was to a certain species of flower (can’t remember what it’s called now) when the same woman came bustling over again asking all manner of questions and threatening to wade in to get her shots. Luckily she’d ‘got loads of Grizzlies’ and so the butterfly escaped with no more disturbance as she then trampled her way back to wreck/trample one of the small hollows with her group. Little L had been an angel so far and now was keen to get some more shots so we all headed back to the Amphitheatre and all four of us set about with our cameras. Dave found a lovely female Adonis and Little L was delighted with the Small Blues and out us onto a Brown Argus with the faintest of orange lunules. As we finished up and made our way slowly back I spied something amongst the grasses that seemed larger than the other surrounding species. It turned out to be a mating pair of Marshies and so our exit was postponed slightly.
DSC_1155 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1171 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1179 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1191 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1217 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1233 - Copy.JPG
It was postponed a few more times as we made our way through the ‘hollow’ and down the track – each time adding something nice – more Marshies, a Small Tort, Red Admiral, Clouded Silverline and a Peacock. Eventually we did make it back to the cars (but it was a close thing if it hadn’t of been for Little L I might still be there!) and bade farewell to Dave who was heading off to Bentley. I asked Little L if she was up to another trip but she was very tired. So while Philzoid headed over to meet up with Dave at Bentley Wood I took a very tired and still beautifully behaved Little l home for a rest, Scrambled Eggs (I make the best in the World, L says so) and her allotted weekly TV allowance.
DSC_1251 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

A totally brilliant account of what was for me the best day out this year, Wurzel. I can't add anything - it brings it back so vividly! :D

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

WoW! Wurzel, what a great variety of Butterflies at that site, end of May beginning of June, is there any good Bed & Breakfast places around there :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I know what you mean about the day - I started thinking back and typing and before I'd realized it was all typed up and done and I was left with a smile on my face from the memory :D
Cheers Goldie :D I don't know about really close but it's close to Warminster and close to Salisbury so there should be some good places to stay at either of those places.

July 2016

Better late than never...
7 Jul.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Grayling Wurzel :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Wurzel,

That certainly sounds like a great site you have there with a wonderful election of species :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great report Wurzel, brings back happy memories from my trip last year :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D It is a cracking site, one of the best early sites that I know :D
Cheers Buggy :D Glad to be of service :D

Bentley for Small Pearls 30-05-2016

As little L had decided the previous day that she didn’t really fancy an additional outing to Bentley for Small Pearls I decided to try today instead. Unfortunately the weather was nowhere near as good with cloud all day plus additional drizzly patches. However having gotten more paint on the walls and had lunch I set off anyway – the weather for the rest of the week looked even worse!

When I got into the Eastern Clearing there were two other couples about and no butterflies so we all wandered lonely among the clouds. Finally what I’d been hoping for happened, there was a break in the cloud! It only lasted a couple of minutes but it was enough to drive forth two faded Pearls, a single Brimstone and several Speckled yellow moths at the small cleared area near the notice board. I got chatting to one of the couples and was able to help out on how to ID a Pearl as a Pearl – quite easy at this time of year. A second 5 minute break saw 2 possibly 3 Pearls and so I moved over the ditch and started quartering the central area of the Clearing. I chatted to the second couple who’d seen a Small Pearl but had lost it when the sun had gone in.
DSC_1274 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1289 - Copy.JPG
Undaunted I carried on quartering, following the animal trails and slowly criss-crossing the area, covering as much of the ground as I could and looking all the while for needle in a haystack. It was me against countless millennia of natural selective processes, all working towards the end goal of a sublimely but deceptively cryptically marked butterfly. Bring it on Wallace/Darwin!

Actually when I did find one it was only because the sun came out again and it was basking to absorb as much energy as possible. After taking a single record shot I called out “Small Pearl” and then carried on photographing it. When it had decided that it had had enough I followed it with my eyes. It started well enough but again luckily the sun went in and it dropped down into the foliage. It started roosting and so the much sought ‘closed wing’ shots were a possibility.
DSC_1297 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1317 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1348 - Copy.JPG
I have recently read of someone else’s Small Pearl Experience at Bentley. A saddening and infuriating affair which hopefully won’t be repeated. However what happened now was a total contrast. Five people (3 with cameras) were watching one small butterfly. All were able to watch it, all able to get the shots they wanted with many polite pauses when we chatted about ID features, compared it to Pearls, talked about other butterflies and then went back to all having fair access to the best view. When you’d taken your shots you moved to the back of the queue as it were while someone else took their turn. The butterfly itself posed nicely and occasionally had a brief flutter to about 1 metre away. When it did move everyone was quick to apologise in case it was them that had inadvertently spooked it and then we let it alone for a few minutes to resettle before the final creep in.
DSC_1358 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1387 - Copy.JPG
Another few people arrived and we pointed the Small Pearl out to them, said our goodbyes and evaporated off to other parts of the clearing. It was a thoroughly decent and polite experience with minimal disturbance to the butterfly. After a quick once over (picking up a Specklie) I headed home to pick the girls up from the ‘family fun day’.
DSC_1399 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1420 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”