Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pete,

Entirely justified. At this point in the game the outcome of a single pairing could mean the difference between survival or extinction of that SPBF colony, which probably equates to the survival or extinction of the species on a regional level.

BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Sadly I too once experienced that selfish behaviour. There are many reasons not just human selfishness. Some cameras require the user to get very close. For example bridge cameras will often not focus closer than 100 centimtres at the telephoto end without supplementary close-up lenses. So they have to get very near and thus prevent others from even being able to SEE the subject let alone photograph it.

But it can be done sensibly.
Fermyn Wood a few years ago. The chap in the wheelchair wouldn't have stood a chance if the others had been selfish.

Jack

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Grey Sky Blues

Yesterday afternoon (22 June) I visited Iping Common, near Midhurst, to look at the Silver-studded Blues with my father. We purposely chose a dull but warm day, as these conditions provide the best opportunities for photography. The place was littered with them, varying in condition from worn and torn to freshly minted, with several recently emerged individuals squirting meconium. We found two mating pairs and a beautiful female showing an usually large amount of blue - at least for this population.

Colin Knight is leading a walk for BC Sussex here on Saturday http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/events
BC SSB male1 Iping Common.jpg
BC SSB female1 Iping Common.jpg
BC SSB female3 Iping Common.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Raymonda

On Tuesday (21 June) I was involved in filming on the Knepp Castle Estate Wildland http://www.kneppsafaris.co.uk where a Purple Empress called Raymonda stole the limelight. She was originally found, as a tiny caterpillar (in 2015), by Matthew Oates and her development has been monitored ever since (see http://www.apaturairis.blogspot.co.uk). Based on her pupation date, Raymonda will emerge on 8th or 9th of July. This remains a late season, so the species is unlikely to appear before July.
BC Purple Emperor pupa, Knepp 21.6.16.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Never Underestimate A Road Verge

Last Sunday (19 June) I led a walk for the Clapham & Patching Horticultural Society, starting from Clapham Church. With the season running late and woodland species yet to emerge we headed towards Long Furlong. Having passed through beautiful coppiced woodland and over sheep-grazed downland slopes we reached the butterfly hotspot I had located earlier that day .... a re-engineered road verge, just north of Clapham village. Although it had clouded over by the time of the walk, we still managed to locate plenty of butterflies here, together with Bee and Southern Marsh orchids. Elsewhere on the slopes we saw plenty of Pyramidal and Common Spotted.

However, the big news was the presence of a significant Small Blue colony. Despite it now being quite late in the flight period (first brood) I counted more than 40 earlier in the day. A late May visit is required next year to determine the full size of this population. Also seen either before or during the walk were Marbled White, Common Blue, Small Heath, Meadow Brown, Large Skipper and Painted Lady. Never underestimate a road verge.
JP Linseed Oil at Long Furlong (c) Neil Hulme.jpg
JP Long Furlong road verge (c) Neil Hulme.jpg
JP Marbled White (c) Neil Hulme.jpg
JP Small Blue (c) Neil Hulme.jpg
JP Pyramidal Orchid (c) Neil Hulme.jpg
JP Bee Orchid (c) Neil Hulme.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Black & Blue

With free time very rare at the moment, I had to squeeze trips to see Black Hairstreak and Large Blue into a single day this year. On Friday (24 June) I made an early start and arrived at the M40 Compensation Area before 9am, under perfect weather conditions. A quick 'phone call to Phil Bromley confirmed that Black Hairstreak is having a reasonable season at Monks Wood this year, but this Bernwood Forest site is currently performing well below par. Three hours searching produced just 6 or 7 males in various states of disrepair and a slightly worn female.

By 2pm I was at Cirencester, having driven through torrential rain and wall-to-wall cloud, varying in shade from dark grey to black. As is so often the case, the weather bore little resemblance to the forecast offered in the earlier hours of the same day. I nearly decided on the 'snooze and drive home' option, but the tiniest break in the deluge encouraged me to head onwards to the wonderful Daneway Banks reserve.

I was glad that I did, not least because I bumped into a few friends and made some new acquaintances. As always, the site looked stunning; it's a riot of colour at the moment. The Large Blues were taking every opportunity to make the most of even the briefest spell of thinner cloud. By evening the sun was fully out and it was a joy to wander over the slopes looking for roosting Large Blues, Marbled Whites and Ringlets. I only managed to get a couple of hours with the Large Blues of Daneway Banks, but a couple of hours in Paradise is enough .... well, nearly - I need to get back there as soon as possible.
Large Blue (1) Daneway Banks 24.6.16.jpg
Large Blue (2) Daneway Banks 24.6.16.jpg
Large Blue (3) Daneway Banks 24.6.16.jpg
Large Blue (4) Daneway Banks 24.6.16.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I had thought of going to Daneway myself, yesterday, but allowed the black clouds (and later heavy rain, here in Oxon) to put me off :( Your determination was well-rewarded, with excellent views of Large Blue. I particular liked your images of roosting on Pyramidal Orchids :D

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Neil, I've never seen a butterfly land on an Orchid yet so your shots are great Goldie :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Great shot of the iris pupa, Neil. I know just how hard these are to find, even if you follow the caterpillar right through to the day of its final Journey.

I could point out that all the experts said my pupa, Trajan, was a female, so I changed its name to Plotina, only to have a beautiful male emerge some time later ... but that would be childish of me! :D

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Question Neil. How big are the introduced Large Blues now that they are established in England? I have heard said that they are smaller than the original native race. My own limited experience suggests no bigger than Common Blues and distinctly smaller than Chalkhill. I have to say that I found the species' name "Large" a slight misnomer.

Jack

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great shots Neil and that really was a whistle stop tour of southern England! Missed you by one day at Daneway, I visited there for the first time today, braving some rather inclement weather!

In response to Jacks question the ones I saw today looked noticeable larger than an average Chalkhill. I can't comment on how they compare to our native race, I was only 8 when they vanished and I've never seen a set specimen in life.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all.

Mike, Goldie: The Large Blue on the Pyramidal Orchid is actively feeding, and if you look closely it is possible to see a pollinium attached to its proboscis. This is a clump of pollen grains picked up as the butterfly is probing for nectar. These pollinia can cause butterflies to get a bit 'tongue-tied'!

Guy: I've now managed to track down that discussion. I would demand a refund! :D

Jack, bugboy: Large Blues are highly variable in size, but the majority of females are significantly larger than Chalk Hills. Males are often a little smaller than females, but occasionally reach the same proportions; and just to confuse the matter, some specimens may be as small as a Common Blue. However, a good sized Large Blue looks BIG.

BWs, Neil

William

Post by William »

Superb stuff from Daneway Neil, you seem to have a knack with Large Blues in particular! With the size, I've always generally thought of females (in particular) being noticeably larger than the other blues, but as you say, there seems to be a lot of variation (compared to other species), and I did find a sweet little male about the size of a Common Blue today.

BWs,

William
Last edited by William on Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

William
....did have really sweet little male....
You might want to edit your post William :roll:

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, William. I've been back again - shame I missed you by a day!
Jack - behave!
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Daneway Delights

With a couple of days booked off to recharge the batteries, an early return to Daneway Banks was inevitable. On Monday (27 June) an early start ensured a very full day in this beautiful location. However, it was remarkable just how rapidly nine hours melted away. Even better ... it meant that I missed viewing the national disgrace of Football Brexit.
UKB Daneway Banks 27.6.16.jpg
For much of the morning I had the site to myself. Even better, I was there in time to see the Large Blues wake up. Conditions were perfect, with very light winds and thin cloud allowing just sufficient heat through to encourage basking. It later became so warm and sunny that most of the Large Blues took their customary siesta. During the quieter spells there is always the profusion of Marbled Whites and Ringlets to keep the visitor entertained.
UKB Large Blue male (1), Daneway Banks 27.6.16.jpg
UKB Large Blue female (1), Daneway Banks 27.6.16.jpg
UKB Large Blue male (2), Daneway Banks 27.6.16.jpg
UKB Marbled White, Daneway Banks 27.6.16.jpg

One of the many great things about our hobby is that there is often something new to see or learn. I was rather surprised to watch a female Large Blue turn her nose up at the Wild Thyme and Marjoram, choosing to lay at least one egg (probably several) on Valerian Valeriana officinalis (originally misidentified as Pimpinella major).
UKB Large Blue female (2), Daneway Banks 27.6.16.jpg
Daneway Banks is one of those places which really gets under your skin, and soon makes you feel like an old friend. I've only been there half-a-dozen times, but I doubt there'll be many years in the future when I don't return to this little piece of Paradise. Even the park bench is a cut-above.
UKB Daneway Banks, Large Blue bench 27.6.16.jpg
Last edited by Neil Hulme on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nostalgia reigns. I recall going to Daneway circa 2004 - 06 and seeing just ONE Large Blue.

Lovely pictures Neil.

Jack

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You lucky bugger, you got the weather I could only dream off on my visit! I think your plant is Common Valerian Valerian officinalis, I saw quite a lot of it there on Saturday.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, bugboy. You're right. When I looked at the leaves I dismissed Valerian, as I confused it with Red Valerian (Centranthus ruber), which it has little in common with - a botanical blooper. It seems that she didn't have much of a clue either!
BWs, Neil

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Neil Hulme wrote:...It seems that she didn't have much of a clue either!BWs, Neil
obviously the real reason they went extinct :lol:

Return to “Personal Diaries”