Trip to Hutchinson's Bank (and Chiddingfold)

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Trip to Hutchinson's Bank (and Chiddingfold)

Post by Philzoid »

From Sun 22nd
A meet-up with Wurzel and a trip to Hutchinson’s bank had been in the pipeline for some time. From the reports coming in we were confident we’d get to see our quarry. For me this would be the first time for 3 years in the UK since the demise of Wrecclesham and drawing a blank on my last two visits (to Hutchinson’s) in 2014 and 2015. All through the week we’d been nervously eyeing the weather forecasts and it wasn’t looking good. Nevertheless, we’d made up our minds that we’d be going come rain or shine. It was a pleasant surprise to find the weather on Sunday morning ideal for butterflying :D .
Wurzel was over my way (Woking) by 09:00 and I drove us on to Hutchinson’s with Wurzel’s SatNav taking us on a third alternative route (via Purley). N.B. When we left, we returned via "planned route 2" a country and motorway route to Limpsfield, Oxted; M25. "Planned route 1" was A3; Morden; Carshalton; Croydon Coombe rd. Gravel Hill. I’ve still to work out which is the best route :? .
We found a parking spot at the top of Farleigh Dean crescent. The reserve is accessed along a wooded track-way. Immediately we were greeted by a Speckled Wood and then Brimstone and Holly Blue followed by more Speckled Wood. The track with dappled light through the trees reminded me of my time butterflying in La Bastide de Serou in France. I knew this was going to be a good day :D .
A 2016.05.22 IMG_6772 Speckled Wood, Hutchinson's Bank.jpg
Through a kissing gate you enter into a banked gully. Only seconds in Wurzel spotted a Small Blue, but before we could focus on it there was a Dingy Skipper and then a Glanville Fritillary whizzed by :D . The weather was keeping the fresh looking Glanvilles fairly active but they would settle on hawksbeard and vetches to take nectar or occasionally alight on the ground or on a blade of grass to soak up the sun. They were quite approachable on the whole :) .
B 2016.05.22 IMG_4409 Glanville Fritillary, Hutchinson;s Bank (context) t.jpg
C 2016.05.22 IMG_4373 Dingy Skipper, Hutchinson's Bank.jpg
D 2016.05.22 IMG_4378 Glanville Fritillary, Hutchinson;s Bank vg t.jpg
Unable to find a/the Small Blue again we decided to explore a bit more of the reserve. As we moved out of the scrape a male Common Blue flew by, our first of the season. Climbing up steps to get to the top of the next paddock we saw another Holly Blue and Wurzel caught sight of a Green Hairstreak (I missed it lagging behind climbing up the steps :oops: ). From the top of the bank another Glanville was spotted but the butterflies were more noticeable by their absence. Searching along a pathway at the bottom of the bank failed to get us a Small Blue or Grizzled Skipper which I’d seen in that area the previous year. However, a couple of beautiful little micro moths added interest to that part of the walk, the Orange Conch (spotted by Wurzel), being a lifer for me :D .
Scoparia pyralella (Meadow Grey)
Scoparia pyralella (Meadow Grey)
Commophila aeneana (Orange Conch)
Commophila aeneana (Orange Conch)
Moving back to the banked gully area I was able to get an underside shot of a Glanville and then a shot of a Small Blue. Also seen was a Grizzled Skipper but too quick for a photo :) .
G 2016.05.22 IMG_4406 Glanville Fritillary, Hutchinson;s Bank vg t.jpg
H 2016.05.22 IMG_4418 Glanville Fritillary, Hutchinson;s Bank vg tm.jpg
I 2016.05.22 IMG_4423 Glanville Fritillary, Hutchinson;s Bank g (oe) t.jpg
J 2016.05.22 IMG_4428 Glanville Fritillary, Hutchinson;s Bank vg (oe) t.jpg
K 2016.05.22 IMG_4421 Small Blue, Hutchinson;s Bank vg t.jpg
The weather was marginally more overcast than it had been at the start but we figured there was still time to fit in a visit to Chiddingfold (Botany bay/Tugley wood) for Wood White. Normally we miss out on the first generation butterflies and pick up the second generation later in the year but this was a case of strike while the Iron’s hot (or Wurzel having an unprecedented time slot away from domestics and a venture into ‘uncharted territory’) :wink: .
By 13:00 we were making our way in and unusually we encountered our first Wood White before reaching the bridge over the ‘piddley stream’ (river Lox). The singleton soon became two and then a Green-veined white joined in, temporarily buzzing the Wood Whites as they nectared on Cranesbill and Bugle.
L 2016.05.22 IMG_4436 Wood White (on Cranesbill), Chiddingfold gi t03.jpg
Past he bridge was the best area with plenty of bugle in flower, Eucera longicornis Long-horned bees in profusion and then a real treat, a broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth quartering the bugle flowers :D . This was to repeat itself further on but I still didn’t manage to get a satisfactory picture :? .
M 2016.05.22 IMG_6878 Hemaris fuciformis, Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth Chiddingfold  t.jpg
N 2016.05.22 IMG_6944 Hemaris fuciformis, Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth Chiddingfold t.jpg
Along the ride to the triangle there were plenty of Brimstone and more Wood Whites showing. A patrolling male Orange-tip decided to check out a pair of Wood White and this turned into an in-flight menage et trois. It is a fanciful thought but I’m sure they were flying with each other for the sheer fun of it … we’ll never know I suppose :) .
O 2016.05.22 IMG_6862 Brimstone (male on Bugle), Chiddingfold g t.jpg
P 2016.05.22 IMG_4449 Wood White (on Bugle), Chiddingfold vg (slightly overexposed) t01.jpg
Q 2016.05.22 IMG_6909 Orange-tip & Wood White (in flight), Chiddingfold t.jpg
Moving further on we made our way into the L/H side clearing and were surprised to see it was just that … clear :o (birch scrub had been showing signs of taking over). While following a female Wood White ovipositing we bumped into Susie … nice to meet you Susie and I’m glad you got to see and video the Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth :D (your Wood White pics are much better than mine by the way :) :mrgreen: ).
A Large White was a treat taking my season’s species count up to 19 :D
R 2016.05.22 IMG_6979 Large White (on Bugle), Chiddingfold t.jpg
Silver-ground Carpet
Silver-ground Carpet
Soon we had to make our way out and as we approached the ‘river’ Lox I caught site of a Wood White just sitting there with wings side open :shock: .
T 2016.05.22 IMG_4458 Wood White (open wing with some damage) vg t01.jpg
Getting closer we could see that it’s wings had some damage of the type where they fail to expand properly after emergence. It could’ve been a freshly emerged example attempting to warm up as the cloud was on its way over (the forecasted mornings’ weather eventually reaching by mid afternoon). When we moved in closer to determine if it was actually alive it moved, so we left it at that .. finishing on an open-wing Wood White :D ….well almost:- :wink:
Lackey moth larva
Lackey moth larva
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trip to Hutchinson's Bank (and Chiddingfold)

Post by Wurzel »

It was a great day out Philzoid, just what the Dr ordered :D Glad we got that Orange Conch - what a little beauty! :D What shall we go for next High Browns, Large Blues?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

It was a great day and the Commophila aeneana "Orange Conch" (though many do, I don't mind using vernacular names for the Micros) was a real find :D .

Both Large Blue and High Brown would be great, but as I've never seen High Brown perhaps it should take priority in the event of not being able to fit it all in?

Phil
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Philzoid wrote:From Sun 22nd
Wurzel was over my way (Woking) by 09:00 and I drove us on to Hutchinson’s with Wurzel’s SatNav taking us on a third alternative route (via Purley). N.B. When we left, we returned via "planned route 2" a country and motorway route to Limpsfield, Oxted; M25. "Planned route 1" was A3; Morden; Carshalton; Croydon Coombe rd. Gravel Hill. I’ve still to work out which is the best route :? .
A good route to Hutchinsons Bank from the M25 J6 [Godstone] is the following [you can use streetview on the links at the junctions]

A22 towards Croydon, to the Wapses Lodge Roundabout, [at the end of the Duel carrigeway section] Then narrow Countrylanes for the rest of the way, via the following.http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=TQ34 ... nt%20C&v=h

5th Exit, towards Woldingham, under the railway bridge, and along to a junction that sat-navs get wrong,http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=TQ35 ... nt%20D&v=h go physically straight on, which is really the 2nd left, as the road swerves to the right at this point, and 2 left turns are at the same point, the correct lane goes along Halilloo Valley Road, past a Golf Course, Keep to this lane it goes to a bendy section, then joins Slines Oaks Road, which joins from the right towards the top of the hill, http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=TQ37 ... nt%20E&v=hcontinue left up to the main road junction by the pond, http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=TQ37 ... nt%20F&v=hturn right for about 1km, Featherbed Lane is the 2nd left from where you joined this road. http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=TQ38 ... nt%20G&v=hIt is Beech Farm Rd, then Chelsham Court Rd, and Changes to Featherbed Lane, athough it is the same lane. At the Sharp Left Bend, keep left, When you reach the White Bear pub, turn Lefthttp://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=TQ39 ... nt%20H&v=h, and follow this lane, past Frylands Wood Scout Camp, and Farleigh Dean Crescent is on the Right,http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=TQ37 ... nt%20I&v=h just after the Scout Camp. It sounds more complicated but is about 12 minutes from J6 [Godstone]

And the Glanville Hot Spot
http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=TQ38 ... nt%20J&v=h
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Looks like I’ve got a fourth route to consider now :roll: :wink: . I can’t remember how long our return through Limpsfield/Oxted took but it was probably more than 12 minutes to get back to the M25 Junction 6 Godstone turnoff. I agree it does look complicated but as you say it will probably save me time and petrol (providing I don’t muck it up the next time I go :? ).

This is certainly helpful information for others who have better direction skills than me :) .

Agree with you re. the Glanville hotspot. Hope this year turns out just as good :)

Phil
millerd

Post by millerd »

I think I'll stick with going on the tram from East Croydon!

Dave
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

millerd wrote:I think I'll stick with going on the tram from East Croydon!

Dave
Yes as long as you can find the way down from New Addington Tramstop, we get lots of people getting to there, then not finding the site.

Im lucky I can walk from home in about 5 minutes, but from the other hemisphere though.
millerd

Post by millerd »

:) It's really easy when you know the way! A decent map helps, but these days of satnavs seem to have ruined mapreading skills. Give me a map every time...

Dave

Return to “General”