Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Hoggers

Re: Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks Goldie, I hope you get some Coppers soon. I'm lucky in having Dungeness close to home. They have a seven month season down here ( although numbers vary month to month ) so plenty of opportunities to see them.

Hi David - I use a Skyris camera ( Google them ) which fits into the eyepiece of my telescope. It records short video footage directly onto my laptop. I then process what I've recorded using a free software program called Registax : it produces a single composite image from the video.

Good luck!

Hoggers

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

What a magnificent display the Hawthorns are putting on this year! I've really noticed them, lining the roadsides as I drive to work, or as today, down to Dungeness. Absolutely beautiful. I must get one for my garden!

It was like November at Dungeness when I arrived this morning:thick cloud and a bitingly cold wind.

I found some very cold Coppers
IMG_6907.JPG
IMG_6922.JPG
IMG_6925.JPG
Now and again there'd be a break in the clouds
IMG_6939.JPG
IMG_7015.JPG
Coppers don't need much in the way of sunshine to warm up
IMG_6864.JPG
IMG_6942.JPG
IMG_6969.JPG
I've found an unusually high number of Blue Badgers this year
IMG_6882.JPG
IMG_6993.JPG
I've also noticed other Coppers displaying the "ray" pattern to the hindwings
IMG_6979.JPG
IMG_6989.JPG
I've seen it only in females
IMG_7003.JPG
It is certainly a feature of the Dungeness Coppers

If anyone has seen this variation amongst other Copper colonies I'd be interested to hear from them

Some Coppers looking frayed were seen today but most still in beautiful condition
IMG_7006.JPG
IMG_7009.JPG
I'm convinced that there's more going on inside the head of a Small Copper than in other butterflies
IMG_6871.JPG
They size you up
IMG_6864.JPG
If only it hadn't been so cold today
IMG_6893.JPG
Thank goodness for the bright spells!
IMG_6940.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just fantastic Coppers Hogger's, I just missed one yesterday, we're very short on Butterflies here at present. Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Goldie, sorry you missed one yesterday! Some Coppers can be very unsociable!

Much better today at Dungeness than yesterday: it was warmer, and I bumped into our own AllanW, who had been on an early morning Copper and rare flower hunt!

I didn't manage to find the unusual Copper that you mentioned, Allan but there were plenty of Coppers about
IMG_7095.JPG
IMG_7145.JPG
IMG_7086.JPG
IMG_7108.JPG
IMG_7124.JPG
IMG_7152.JPG
Including this gorgeous female
IMG_7188.JPG
IMG_7168.JPG
You can see she has normal hind-wing colour but her fore-wings are pale
IMG_7192.JPG
IMG_7201.JPG
Beautiful!
IMG_7204.JPG
IMG_7205.JPG
IMG_7207.JPG
I also met David Walker, the Reserve Warden

Earlier this week he emailed me photos of a lovely Copper that he found
Small Copper ab Dungeness 110516w 7407.jpg
Small Copper ab Dungeness 110516w 7414.jpg
Almost a radiata, but not quite!

It really pays to look closely at every Copper you find
IMG_7212.JPG
I counted 53 today.

PS. I also saw several Coppers with the "ray" pattern on the hind-wings and I'm beginning to wonder whether it is a Dungeness speciality!

All the best,

Hoggers.

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi Hoggers,

Good to have a quick chat this morning ,I managed 41 Coppers this morning,and found the first roosting individuals in the moat at 6.15 am,but didn,t see one on the wing till 7.30.your Radiata type individual appears to be a male,the one I told you about was a female,i'll try to post a shot on May sightings later,also found one of your heavily rayed individuals,and found a male doing the stalk dance ,and watched him for a few minutes,most odd ! + my two "lifer" plants and 3 Grizzlies . well pleased !! Regards Allan.W.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Hoggers,

Some great series of Small Coppers there :D I had a look at one of my local spots yesterday to see if any were out yet but no luck. Not surprising really, it is usually mid May before they show up around here in a good year and this year has been a late one around her so far.

Cheers,

Neil.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I hope the Copper season gets started for you soon, Neil!

An unexpected day off work. The sun was shining so I took myself down to Dungeness for a Copper Hunt!
IMG_7279.JPG
I'm not complaining of course: there are good numbers of Small Coppers to be seen at Dungeness
IMG_7274.JPG
IMG_7233.JPG
IMG_7335.JPG
Today I counted 63
IMG_7221.JPG
IMG_7252.JPG
But at this time last year I was easily counting 100+
IMG_7307.JPG
IMG_7321.JPG
So numbers this year are, as yet, down on 2015
IMG_7328.JPG
I met David, the reserve warden, who admitted to showing symptoms of the "Small Copper Bug" ( a highly contagious and incurable condition). He has begun to look at them more closely and is amazed by the degree of variation amongst them

I liked this 6 Spotter
IMG_7293.JPG
And this dusky chap
IMG_7326.JPG
I saw a female do the Turkey Strut
IMG_7347.JPG
And males in aerobatic display
IMG_7354.JPG
IMG_7355.JPG
IMG_7360.JPG
IMG_7364.JPG
I saw Common Blues for the first time this year
IMG_7282.JPG
But the day belonged to the Small Coppers
IMG_7320.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

As a post script to my last entry - I've just received and email from David Walker - he found a radiata at Dungeness today!

He'll have Small Copperitis for the rest of his life!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

And here's the radiata found by David Walker at Dungeness today!
Small Copper ab radiata Dungeness 170516w 7970.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

A glorious specimen, Hoggers! You really do have a veritable smorgasbord of unusual forms of phlaeas down at Dungeness.

Keep the images coming!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I went down to Dungeness this morning. It was cloudy and spitting rain almost all of the time. On occasions the cloud would lighten enough for the sun to make itself felt but even then it continued to spit, sometimes to rain fairly heavily.

Given the fact that for most of my visit it did not stop raining I was surprised by the number of Small Coppers that were sitting it out with wings open
IMG_7368.JPG
All of these Coppers were exposed to the falling rain but nonetheless had their wings open to it
IMG_7398.JPG
IMG_7401.JPG
IMG_7403.JPG
IMG_7430.JPG
I watched one:
IMG_7440.JPG
he only closed his wings when the spitting rain became heavy
IMG_7449.JPG
Unlike the other butterflies which were tightly shut up
IMG_7423.JPG
I disturbed one Copper that had been roosting deep in the nettles: she came out into the spitting rain then sat on an exposed leaf with wings open (rather than seek cover ) I think there was just enough warmth getting through the clouds from the sun to make it worth her while.

Nor did the Coppers seem reluctant to fly through the rain.

But numbers were low until (happily for me) it eventually stopped raining for a time and became very warm. I then witnessed another aspect of Small Copper behaviour: the aerial punch-up!
IMG_7476.JPG
IMG_7487.JPG
IMG_7488.JPG
I noticed how the number of frayed individuals has increased
IMG_7454.JPG
Those in best condition are nearly all females.

There are fine looking Coppers still to be found
IMG_7495.JPG
IMG_7501.JPG
The percentage of Blue Badgers in this year's first brood has been very high
IMG_7520.JPG
I've no idea why this is so.

My favourite Copper today was this beautifully marked individual
IMG_7512.JPG
IMG_7515.JPG
IMG_7514.JPG
Last edited by Hoggers on Sat May 21, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hoggers wrote:My favourite Copper today was this beautifully marked individual
Looks like an aberration to me!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers Pete, I agree. Any idea if it has a name?

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Hoggers.

I think you'll find your your aberration can be referred to ab. extensa (Tutt, 1906).

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great photos Hogger's, lovely ab you found :D I'm still looking for my first Copper :roll: Goldie :D

William

Post by William »

That lemony female Small Copper is jaw-dropping, Hoggers - superb stuff :)

BWs,

William

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for the ID on the ab extensa, Mark, much appreciated.

Hi Goldie,I'm keeping everything crossed for you!

She was a real stunner, William, she almost glowed (not that I'm holding the nuclear power station responsible for her condition!)

Anyone who invents a portable gadget that can get rid of clouds will get their first order from me! This morning at Dungeness was grey, dull and cool with spitting rain yet again!

So I spent most of my time cursing the weather. It never really warmed up and I didn't have long before needing to run some family errands. The only butterflies on show were Small Coppers
IMG_7527.JPG
But as you may know, I'm rather partial to them!
IMG_7537.JPG
I'd occasionally disturb a Common Blue or Small Heath but given the weather they were mostly inactive.

But Coppers are made of stronger stuff!
IMG_7547.JPG
They sit with wings open in the rain bright and beautiful
IMG_7551.JPG
IMG_7559.JPG
And even visit flowers to nectar when all the other butterflies are hiding away
IMG_7549.JPG
IMG_7570.JPG
So I got my daily fill of bright Small Coppers
IMG_7579.JPG

kevling

Post by kevling »

Hoggers;
Enjoying the photos of the Small Coppers in your previous posts (especially the ab).
I can't believe this species is still on my 'to see' list for the year :oops:

Regards Kev

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Mine to Kev, lovely shots Hogger's Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi guys, I'm lucky to live fairly close to Dungeness where there's a thriving colony of Small Coppers. I don't know of any other location that can match Dungeness for Coppers!

We've had some very butterfly unfriendly weather recently with dull conditions and some torrential rain. My last few visits to Dungeness indicated that the first brood of Coppers was on the wain: after all, they've been going since 14th April and the recent rain fall couldn't have helped.

My vist there today confirmed my impression: the first brood is petering out. Here are some males:
IMG_7617.JPG
IMG_7624.JPG
IMG_7625.JPG
He was in good condition
IMG_7633.JPG
but others were not so fortunate
IMG_7636.JPG
Every year I find battered Old Campaigners like this one

I always feel a mixture of emotions when I come across them: sadness that a once beautiful Copper is in such a condition, but also admiration that they nonetheless keep going

This one was highly active - I saw him buzzing about and even doing combat with another male
IMG_7638.JPG
As is usual with the tail end of a brood, it's the females that are in best condition
IMG_7611.JPG
The " ray " pattern on the hind wing is especially noticeable amongst these Dungeness Coppers
IMG_7675.JPG
( If anybody out there has seen it on Coppers from other locations I'd be delighted to hear from them )

Yet again I noticed the high number of Blue Badgers in this year's first brood
IMG_7688.JPG
IMG_7692.JPG
I counted 37 Small Coppers today.

I also saw 2 Grizzled Skippers
IMG_7663.JPG
, 8 male Common Blues and this
IMG_7680.JPG
Now when I saw this butterfly I had no doubt that it was a female Common Blue
IMG_7681.JPG
But once I got home and looked at the photos I began to question my identification and wonder if it was in fact my first Brown Argus of the year!
IMG_7682.JPG
Can anyone help?

I really thought I'd got the hang of distinguishing between them but perhaps it's too early in the season for me to have got my eye in, or ( more likely ) I've spent too much time looking at All Things Copper!

Return to “Personal Diaries”