May 2016

Discussion forum for sightings.
Testudo Man

Re: May 2016

Post by Testudo Man »

Yesterday 4/5/16 (during my lunch break from work) saw me once again try for some Grizzled Skippers...2+ were seen, along with 2 Dingy Skippers.

Other species seen were - male and female Brimstone, Peacock, Large White and Holly Blue.

I also had the pleasure of observing a female Kestrel hunting(although i had to run up an down a steep hill chasing her!!) she took a Bee from a low tree! she also came down for a Common Lizard too.

Location - Kent, cheers Paul.

1st Image is not cropped.
4th-May-2016-to-700a.jpg
4th-May-2016-to-600d.jpg

The beautiful female Kestrel.
4th-May-2016-to-600a.jpg
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

Lovely shot of the Kestrel.
Adrian Riley. www.bugalert.net
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Our butterflies are starting to emerge in numbers at Hutchinsons Bank, today the first Small Blue of the year was seen, Dingys and Grizzled Skippers and Green Hairstreak around the scrapes.

Glanville Fritillary caterpillars are just still around [about 20], I expect we should start seeing the adults next week, it was certainly warm enough today.

We have 3 walks over the next week, so hopefully things will be seen.
Scott Barron

Post by Scott Barron »

6th May
2 male Brown Argus seen today whilst out looking for Grizzlies at Penhale Sands in Cornwall.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

adrian riley wrote:Lovely shot of the Kestrel.
Adrian Riley. http://www.bugalert.net
Thanks very much for the comment in regards to the Kestrel Adrian, i did manage to shoot a sequence of images at that time, probably the best shots ive ever captured of a Kestrel to date.

Yesterday (6/5/16) saw me once again return to the same area, for a "lunch time sortie".

Still very low numbers of Grizzled/Dingy Skippers...other species seen were - Large White, GVW, GH, Brimstone.
My 1st Dragonfly of 2016 was sighted, along with a very energetic male Adder, which took me by surprise!

Location - Kent, cheers Paul.

Dingy Skipper. Image is not cropped.
6th-May-2016-to-700a.jpg
GVW nectaring on Dandelion. Image is not cropped.
6th-May-2016-to-700b.jpg

A couple more images of that Female Kestrel.
4th-May-2016-to-600f.jpg
4th-May-2016-to-600h.jpg
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Kenfig NNR, Near Porthcawl, South Wales during a visit last Thursday produced my first Small Blue of the year, with four seen. Also my earliest Dingy Skipper from this interesting coastal reserve, I'm afraid it didn't hang around for a record shot. Also recorded several Brimstone, Large, Green-veined and Small White plus two female and seven male Orange-tip and a couple of Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell.
Small Blue on emergent spike of Early Purple Orchid
Small Blue on emergent spike of Early Purple Orchid
Small Blue taking a snack from Buttercup
Small Blue taking a snack from Buttercup
My first Hairy Dragonfly of the new season proved a challenging subject, perched on low bramble at an angle...(is that poetry :wink: )
Hairy Dragonfly is usually the first of the larger dragon's on the wing
Hairy Dragonfly is usually the first of the larger dragon's on the wing
The wall alongside the visitor centre has been suitably decorated with six different wildlife theme's, among them is one depicting a Dark Green Fritillary and Small Blue, considering the paintings measure approximately 10'6" x 7'6" the detail is excellent :)... but please don't believe the sky at Kenfig really has a snazzy vent :lol:
Butterfly mural at Kenfig NNR
Butterfly mural at Kenfig NNR
I just could not resist taking a shot of a Canada Goose family, the parents are highly protective towards the goslings, especially at this early stage, you won't recognise them as the same birds in a few weeks, boy! do they grow quickly :shock:
The Branta canadensis family portrait...
The Branta canadensis family portrait...
A pleasing few hours spent in lovely sunshine!

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Not a bad day in the west of the Isle of Wight today with orange tip, red admiral, small white, large white, wall brown, small blue, common blue, brown argus, green hairstreak, dingy skipper and grizzled skipper. ( Also, on a walk in the IOW Walking Festival I saw several palmate newts, a toad and a great crested newt!) :D
Attachments
26872336245_4193216015_z.jpg
26778869102_9edd6e1a4f_z.jpg
26599368510_99d7b8c9aa_z.jpg
26599121490_d731751587_z.jpg
NickC

Post by NickC »

Plenty of orange tip, a few brimstone and two peacock seen at Fishers Green reserve near Waltham Abbey in Essex. The main purpose of the trip was to listen to nightingales which proved successful (and I saw one!).
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

8th May - Forres Moray
Lumix FZ200, ISO 200, max zoom, f/4.0, exposure bias -2/3. No post processing other than small crop.

Also one white in flight, presumed Green-veined.

Jack
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello all,
It looks like my butterfly season has finally kicked off,this morning started with my first Holly blues of the year cavorting on and off in my neighbours garden,even flitting over the fence to my side once in a while ! Thought we may try a couple of Duke sites near home,but apart from one probable,no luck ,but between the two sites there were good numbers of Dingy skips
(firsts for the year),and Green Hairs,plus the odd fly bye Orange tips ,Green veins and Peacock,later in the day I thought I,d visit a nearbye Grizzlie site,but after searching for about an hour and a half,with nothing to show but a couple of Brimstone I gave up and headed for home,as I got back to my parked car,i noticed a "white",which turned out to be my bogie species ie;
Orange tip,i never have much joy getting near near them let alone taking pictures,she was immediately joined by two males and another female,and whats more they kept settling !!
so I finally managed a few shots,the copper was from Dungie ,a flying visit on Saturday.
P1020125.JPG
P1020153.JPG
P1020192.JPG
P1020194.JPG
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Red Admiral in off the sea today, Burton Bradstock, Dorset.
peterc

Post by peterc »

A Brimstone egg, among several, on a buckthorn in my back garden:

ATB

Peter
Attachments
Brimstone egg 5 May
Brimstone egg 5 May
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

Matsukaze wrote:Red Admiral in off the sea today, Burton Bradstock, Dorset.
I've also seen Red Admirals this weekend on the Essex coast, also a Silver-Y.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

At last some decent weather and I was able to do my first transect of the year. Plenty of Orange Tips, Small Tortoiseshells and Green-veined Whites. Also my first Small White and Speckled Woods of the year! :D
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I am a little jealous of your Orange Tips Nick. I cruise around some likely spots just inland from the coast (temperature up to 24C contrast 15C on the coast itself) but two or three GV Whites only. I'm not entirely sure where to look for them in this area. In the Aberdeen area where I lived many years ago, they favoured scrubby wetland and weren't a hedgerow species as they are in England.

Does anyone know some "hot spots" for Orange Tips along the Moray coastal strip?

Jack
peterc

Post by peterc »

Paid a visit to Bison Hill (Whipsnade Downs) today with expected species seen: Green Hairstreak, Dingy Skipper, Grizzled Skipper and Duke of Burgundy including a mating pair - still together when we left:
Duke & Duchess Bison Hill 9 May 15 at 1333 hours
Duke & Duchess Bison Hill 9 May 15 at 1333 hours
Duke & Duchess Bison Hill 9 May 15 at 1501 hours
Duke & Duchess Bison Hill 9 May 15 at 1501 hours
3 or 4 Red Admirals also seen

ATB

Peter
David M

Post by David M »

I too saw mating Dukes at Rodborough Common, Glos, on Sunday 8th. Only 6 or 7 specimens observed (still early in the season at this site). Also spotted were Green Hairstreak, Dingy Skipper, Orange Tip, Large & Small White.

An afternoon visit to Ewyas Harold Common in Herefordshire then produced approximately two dozen Pearl Bordered Fritillaries, as well as 4 Peacocks, a Green Veined White, several Orange Tips, a couple of Large Whites and a geriatric Small Tortoiseshell.
1DoBpair(1).jpg
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Yesterday (8/5/16) saw me visit just the one location, which i spent a good 6 hours out in the field...got a little sun burnt too :roll:

Good numbers of Red Admirals seen (6 to 10) but could have been more than my estimate?!

Other species seen were - Speckled Wood, Peacock, Holly Blue, Comma, Orange Tip, GVW, Large an Small White.

Location - Kent (Riverside Country Park) cheers Paul.

PS. 2 Grass Snakes an 1 male Adder also seen.

Note - I sighted a Red Admiral in my garden today, and later on another Red Admiral whilst at work.

One of the Red Admirals, seen here on a fence post. Image is not cropped.
8th-May-2016-to-700a.jpg
Speckled Wood. Image is not cropped.
8th-May-2016-to-600aaa.jpg
Female Orange Tip. Image is not cropped.
8th-May-2016-to-600b.jpg
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Hi, holly blues are back in the garden, 6 today very active. Cheers
Attachments
DSC04224E256.jpg
DSC04154E256.jpg
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Has anyone else seen a lot of Red Admirals over the last few days?

I hadn't seen one this year until Saturday and I then saw six over the weekend. I wondered if with the warm southerly winds we had seen a little influx.

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Sightings”