Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Jack Harrison

Re: Trevor

Post by Jack Harrison »

Neil Freeman
...not seeing anything to make it an ab. I feel that it is at the brighter end of normal variation for a spring brood female.
As best I recall, E.B.Ford in his classic "Butterflies" distinguished between spring Speckled Woods that had overwintered as pupae from those that had overwintered as larvae.
I think he used some terminology as Gen1, part 1 and Gen 1 part 2.
Sadly my copy of "Ford" is so tatty (but well loved) that I dare not attempt to open a page to check.

Jack

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Jack.

I am not knowledgeable enough to name that particular variant.
But as soon as I saw that particular Butterfly it stood out from the crowd.
A memorable sighting !.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You did well there Trever, all I got were a few long distance shots of a Pearl, no sign of a Grizzlie or a Green Hairstreak that was also lurking about. Still early days though, I think we're still suffering from the chilly April, this time next week we should be over run with the things if this warm spell holds :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:If the weather forecasters have got it right, David, most of the country
should kick off this week. Make hay whilst the sun shines !.
Sadly, the sun shines far more infrequently in my part of the country than yours :(

Still, I shall be out looking regardless.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great collection of shots there Trevor - I'm pinning my hopes on this weekend and hoping that the Pearls in Wiltshire take the hint and emerge! When it comes to OTs I like to keep fit :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

You can't have it both ways, Wurzel, wait by a Herb Robert and have a mid=rift bulge.
Or chase them hoping for a Manly figure ( or cardiac arrest ). I know which method I prefer.

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1210188.JPG
The fine weather this morning coaxed me out of the house early.
An eventful morning lay ahead.One reason for an early start was to catch the Orange Tips before they warmed up.
Quite a few males were seen, but no females.
As the temperature rose it produced some amorous Speckled Woods, many spiralling pairs. One pair
landed on a bramble leaf and instantly coupled. A little later another pair landed and began a wing flapping session.

Holly Blues were seen in good numbers, both in the air and settled, including a female with open wings.
Attachments
P1210187.JPG
Female Holly BLUE.
Female Holly BLUE.
P1210190.JPG
Wing flapping pair.
Wing flapping pair.
Mating Specklies.
Mating Specklies.
P1210186.JPG
P1210185.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

trevor wrote:...If there is any Herb Robert flowering where you are, wait near it, they will often pause
on it for a moment...
This stuff self seeds all over my garden and I reckon is second only to Forget-me-nots in tempting Orange-tips to linger around, especially later in the afternoon when they will often re-fuel more regularly. I am all for staking out and waiting for butterflies to come to me, I am not one for chasing after butterflies, particularly as they usually move quicker than I can these days.

Some great reports and photos in your recent posts Trevor :D

Cheers,

Neil

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Neil,
Funny you should say that !. I noticed this morning that the OT's weren't pausing
on Herb Robert. As you and I have observed they do so in the afternoon.

Glad you are seeing some action at last !
Trevor.

millerd

Post by millerd »

You're having all the luck with the Holly Blues this year, Trevor... :mrgreen: And much better Specklies too - I've still to see more than a couple. nice photos.

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yesterday afternoon I visited Abbots Wood and chose to explore a new ( for me ) route to the main
Pearl Bordered Fritillary site. Once at the site I immediately observed a Pearl in flight and this one
flushed out two more. This sequence happened again within seconds making six Pearls in an
aerial chase, a few seconds later I saw a single male flying solo, making seven. At this point counting
was impossible as the first sightings had split up and all were flying around at high speed.
For serious Pearl photography you don't go in the heat of the day, but I did manage a few snatch shots.

After consulting with a higher authority about the amount of trampling of habitat this early in their
flight season, with pupae still to emerge. It was agreed that a note be posted on the Sussex BC site
asking visitors to keep to the fairly well defined tracks on the site, and tread carefully elsewhere.
Attachments
P1210221.JPG
P1210220.JPG
P1210218.JPG
P1210219.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic find Trevor, it's great to know the Pearl's are on they're way out, may be here next :D
I also love your photo of the open winged Holly Blue :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

SPRING EPITOMISED !.

A Peacock on a Bluebell.
Attachments
P1210306.JPG
P1210304.JPG

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Very nice - and a perfect specimen too!

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1210314.JPG
With a warm day forecast, an early morning visit to Abbots Wood was planned to catch
the Pearl Bordered Fritillaries before they had warmed up and become supercharged !.

On arrival at 08.10 the sun had already warmed the perimeter of the site that I usually
visit, and a few Pearls were already active. But enough grounded specimens were found
for a few reasonable shots.
To me it would seem that this species is going to have a better season this year than 2014/15.

Two other highlights of the morning were my first Green Hairstreak of the year, and the Peacock
in the posting above.
Attachments
P1210315.JPG
P1210311.JPG
P1210307.JPG
P1210312.JPG
P1210313.JPG

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Trevor

Love that Peacock on Bluebell :D. Very nice indeed.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I think another Abbots Wood outing beckons next week, Pearls here I come!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

P1210387.JPG
I decided to stay local today and spent a hour or two at the old railway.
As usual there was a lot of Butterfly activity, with male Orange Tips putting on a good show;
Prize of the morning was my second Red Admiral of the year, but he subscribed to a certain law
and refused to settle anywhere near me, and always chose the inside of a bush.
My apologies for the resulting image.

A large Raptor flying overhead caused great alarm in the local bird population, and mass panic.

Finally I make no apologies for posting another image of that beautiful Peacock from yesterday.

I hope everyone had a successful day.
Attachments
P1210386.JPG
P1210385.JPG
P1210381.JPG
P1210384.JPG
P1210383.JPG

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful Peacock photo! :mrgreen:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with Katrina Trevor that is a gurt lush photo :D :mrgreen: Your underwing view previously was a cracker too - and reminded me of Batman for some reason :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”