Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

I've had a few trips like that this week Trevor - in fact I had every intention of getting out during my lunch break this week but every day (until today) the weather always turned for the worst :( It's got to change for the better soon, surely...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

P1210027.JPG
Today I had a wonderful day with the Butterflies, but it didn't start well.
After a cool bright start I headed over to Abbots Wood to look for Pearl Bordered Fritillaries.
In the whole two hours spent there all I saw was three Peacocks, and a fascinating little Moth
which flew very much like a Butterfly ( ID please ).

With the sun now warming up nicely I drove over to the old railway, which I was sure would provide some action.
Non stop action started as soon as I arrived !, First on the scene ( just like a re-aquaintance with an old friend )
a male Orange Tip, then a female,shortly followed by an open winged male Holly Blue.
The sun went in very briefly just as another Orange Tip appeared and it thoughtfully landed with closed wings
for an underside shot. Several more Holly Blues landed nearby together with a beautifully marked
Speckled Wood, one of many seen.

After all the pessimism of the last week, today was a real tonic. :D
Attachments
P1210026.JPG
P1210025.JPG
P1210022.JPG
P1210023.JPG
P1210024.JPG
P1210020.JPG
P1210021.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Nice Shoots Trevor.

You shouldn't have given up so quickly for the Pearls, there were at least two there today. Surprised I didn't see you.

The Speckled Wood looks like an abb to me. Hope someone can clarify that for you. :D

Gary
Last edited by Gary.N on Sun May 01, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Very nice find, Trevor; definitely an ab! The full list is at:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/aberrati ... es=aegeria

A cursory glance hasn't resulted in a match, so it might be "ab. nov." :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

That Specklie is really smart Trevor, and very fresh!!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers for that Pete & Bob, I must admit that this Speckled Wood stood out from all
others seen this year.

Gary N. i had left Abbots by 10.15, as I was leaving I met a Hailsham couple who had
never considered the old railway for Butterflies. They later joined me and had quite a surprise.
Pearls are on my radar this coming week.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I love that Speckled Wood Trevor - what a great find :D . Looks like you're off to a good start and heading towards another great season :D

David M

Post by David M »

Beautifully marked Speckled Wood there, Trevor (and the supporting cast ain't bad either). :)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

Not sure if that Speckled Wood is an ab. but it is a beautifully marked, fresh out of the box, early brood female :mrgreen: :D Really jealous, particularly as I have yet to see a Specklie so far this year.

Cheers,

Neil

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

That Speckled Wood is lovely.. :mrgreen:

Regards
Dave Browne
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

A great day out, Trevor, and I agree with everyone else, that's a lovely Speckled Wood ab. :D nice shots of the Orange tips too, still not many about around here. Perhaps the weather forecast for later this week will help!

Mike

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone for the kind comments. :D
Here is another zoomed in image for your ( hopefully ) enjoyment.
Attachments
P1210031.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a lovely Speckled Wood, Trevor. :) :mrgreen:

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Interesting.

I had an e-mail today via the UKB site from someone who had seen a Speckled Wood with a 'V' shape in precisely the same place as yours has one (albeit, your Speckled Wood's marking isn't as pronounced as the one my correspondent described).

I replied telling him that it was unusual and that he should go back and try to trace the insect (given the species' territorial nature) and, if possible, capture it on camera.

Just goes to show how feasible it is for something very odd to suddenly turn up in a common species.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

David M wrote:...I replied telling him that it was unusual and that he should go back and try to trace the insect (given the species' territorial nature) and, if possible, capture it on camera.
If it was as brightly marked a Trevor's example then it was likely to be a female given that the spring brood tend to be brighter than later broods and females are usually bigger and brighter than males. Females are wanderers, not territorial like males.

Not taking anything away from Trevor's photo, it is a lovely image of a beautiful butterfly, however I am not seeing anything to make it an ab. I feel that it is at the brighter end of normal variation for a spring brood female. I have seen a few females like this myself over the past few years, always early in the season.

Cheers,

Neil

David M

Post by David M »

You see more than most, Neil, so I will take your comments on board.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Now that Orange Tips are on the wing. I would like to pass on a personal observation for
those of you trying to photograph a non-stop, patrolling OT.
If there is any Herb Robert flowering where you are, wait near it, they will often pause
on it for a moment. Of course you may prefer to keep fit ! :lol: .
Attachments
P1210025.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1210133.JPG
I had to play the waiting game this morning.
An early visit to Abbots Wood in glorious sunshine did not find any grounded Pearl's warming up.
After an hour or so I spotted my first Grizzled Skipper of the year, flying nearby. I have great
trouble ' keeping my eye in ' with this species ( small and fast ! ) but luck was on my side as
it landed on a Bluebell, not too far from me. To get a good shot I had lay prostrate, Emperor style,
and gradually crawl ever closer for a proper audience, getting soaked by the wet foliage in the process.
But it was worth the effort as this was by far the best view of a Grizzled Skipper I have ever had.

With little else on offer I made my way back to the car. after a short distance a Pearl Bordered Fritillary
flew from nowhere and landed twice briefly in a ditch. Running towards it, it landed just long enough
for a quick snatch shot. By now it was getting warm, too warm for Pearl photo's !.

Nearer to the car I came across a beautiful Peacock nectaring on Bluebells. I then drove to the old railway,
where several Orange Tips were on the wing. On cue they paused on Herb Robert flowers for some quick shots.
Also seen there a grounded Holly Blue, and a splendid Green Veined White.

It was also a Pleasure to bump into Bugboy once again.
Attachments
P1210134.JPG
P1210131.JPG
P1210128.JPG
P1210129.JPG
P1210136.JPG
P1210135.JPG
P1210130.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely selection of spring species there, Trevor. Things seem to be kicking off nicely in your area of the country.

trevor

Post by trevor »

If the weather forecasters have got it right, David, most of the country
should kick off this week. Make hay whilst the sun shines !.

Return to “Personal Diaries”