Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
MrSp0ck

Re: Pauline

Post by MrSp0ck »

I hope they have started to use the special food, normally you cant keep them off it once they know the taste.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great animation Mike, glad the Rabbits doing well Pauline, the meconium from the Painted Lady was Red Pauline, that's why I thought it was blood :D It's really interesting they all have different colours but then their all different Butterflies so it's logical they will have :roll:
I hope you see the next one emerge and hope they like the food you've bought. Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

At the moment they appear to be taking it Martin but only if they don't have to stand on it :? . Their preference would appear to be the sugary water that I painted onto a few leaves. It's been so hectic here today I think I'll be trying some of that solution myself tonight :roll: (or perhaps I'll settle for a G&T :D ).

I didn't see the next one emerge Goldie but as it was a Large White (my first) I'm sure I'll have plenty of other opportunities - don't worry, I won't be posting all 86 of them ! :lol:
P1780659ad.jpg
P1780678ad.jpg
P1780712ad.jpg
P1780716ad.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The cabbage gardeners will just love you Pauline :lol: Goldie :lol:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Good job I'm in a fairly rural area Goldie surrounded by a lot of army land.

I haven't been out this week for reasons I shall explain in due course so I was in dire need of some exercise and fresh air to blow away the cob-webs. I certainly got that!! I headed out for a brief trip to Noar Hill and despite a thick jumper I was freezing - the wind was cutting. I wasn't expecting to see much but the first thing I came across was this beetle - ugly and attractive at the same time:
P1780811ad.jpg
Shortly afterwards I was delighted to see this slow worm in the middle of the track:
P1780837ad.jpg
I was less delighted when, after taking a few shots, I realised that it was dead :( :shock: . I could not detect any injuries, and not knowing much about this type of creature, I wondered if it was in a dormant state due to the extreme cold we have had. It was in a very exposed position -easy prey - so I picked it up and put it in my pocket where it stayed for 30 mins as I attempted to warm it up (OK, you can stop laughing now! :lol: ). Eventually, I had to accept that I couldn't 'save' it and returned it to where I found it, assuming that at least it might provide something with an easy meal.

I continued over the site, seeking out the more sheltered areas and eventually found a couple of Dukes - both showing signs of wear. It is a bit early in the season to be blaming the weather, but it was windy so this was the best I could get:
P1780858ad.jpg
P1780851ad.jpg
P1780844ad.jpg
.... and as I arrived back the hailstones and sleet have started again and continue as I type :cry: :cry:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I have been trying to make the best of a bad job. I feel incredibly guilty for messing up the natural life-cycle of the WLH, with No. 1 (a male) emerging so early, so my dilemma was – what to do now? I try to take note of those more experienced than me. It had been suggested that if the WLH were released individually it was unlikely that they would find each other. I confess I do not really understand this as they emerge individually in the wild and seem to manage OK. Furthermore, the site they came from only has one Elm tree. However, with this in mind I decided the best course of action was to try to release them as a group so I actively tried to speed up the emergence of the others, rightly or wrongly, by bringing the pupa indoors. One by one they emerged. The first to emerge was a female but on the day I introduced her to No 1 he died! I was gutted. With hindsight I still wonder if there was some genetic problem with this individual which caused his metabolism to speed up. The next to emerge was also a female....... and then another female. With 3 females I was praying that the last (No 6) would be a male. My prayers were answered. They were now all outside in a cage, but the plan to release them as a group was put on hold with the freezing temperatures, sleet and hail. Furthermore, I had been advised that the site from which they came was still quite barren and there was little nectar source. In the mesh cage, which had some protection, they were inactive, would not feed, and looked miserable. This was not how I wanted them to end their days so I took a decision to bring them indoors, get them feeding, and then release them when the weather improved a little. Having them indoors gave me a great opportunity to observe them at close quarters and I have been doing a lot of that over the last 5-6 days. In fact for the first 48 hours I was checking them every 15 mins during daylight hours.

On 27 April, just after mid-day, I witnessed a mating. Great, I thought. Now I could release the group with a slightly easier conscience – but the weather was dreadful. I really didn’t think that the female would successfully produce eggs in these conditions – and there were still another 2 females. Despite the weather outside I felt quite comfortable about having the WLH indoors as they seemed to be indulging in normal behaviour and did not appear stressed. I had put one of the parrot's UV lamp over their cage and they seemed to enjoy sunbathing under it in the manner I have seen them in the wild – lying virtually on their side on a leaf directly under it before taking their solution off a leaf.

On 28 April, I witnessed another mating, whilst a different female indulged in a ‘pretend’ egg-laying session – perhaps a rehearsal for the real thing. In between times, I have seen the male approach a female (side by side) and bend his abdomen round in a u-shape in an attempt to mate, only to be rejected. This pro-active behaviour is very different from the early days when it was the females who repeatedly approached the male.

Today, 29th April, I have witnessed actual egg-laying. I can see 2 but I am not sure how many have been laid or who by. I have frequently wished I could tell the difference between the females (a nick in the wing or whatever) but I cannot. I have not been able to take many photos as I will not disturb them but I have managed to get a couple of shots through the mesh – possibly my worst ever.

I have taken the opportunity to read my Frohawk manuals among others but information in there is limited and I have no idea how long they can be expected to live. He cites examples of Green Hairstreaks living in captivity for 40 days with the same individual egg-laying over a period of weeks. I really am not sure where I go from here and I’m taking each day as it comes, trying to do my best as usual. It was never my intention to ‘get into’ captive breeding, but because of circumstances, this seems to be the case. The eggs have been laid on a small (potted) Elm tree. At some point I hope that the eggs, or the imago will be returned to the original site in a timely manner.
P1780611ad.jpg
P1780877ad.jpg

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Well done with the WLH, you saved them from having no chance through to completing there life cycle. Lets hope they are viable and successful next year.

BW

Andy

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, I've just read Jamie's post where he says he's found WLH eggs on an Elm Tree, maybe you could put the eggs being laid back onto to the Elm Tree where you found the previous ones. In this way the cycle will be completed, you could always keep the WLH butterflies where they are for now. I don't know too much about these things but it seems logical if there are eggs out there now yours put outside now will come out at the right time in July . What do think :?: Goldie :)

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Goldie M wrote:Hi! Pauline, I've just read Jamie's post where he says he's found WLH eggs on an Elm Tree, maybe you could put the eggs being laid back onto to the Elm Tree where you found the previous ones. In this way the cycle will be completed, you could always keep the WLH butterflies where they are for now. I don't know too much about these things but it seems logical if there are eggs out there now yours put outside now will come out at the right time in July . What do think :?: Goldie :)
It's true that today I have checked on a White-letter Hairstreak egg which hasn't hatched (if it will is uncertain). The normal scenario is that females will lay eggs in June-August. ''The fully-formed caterpillar remains in the egg until the following spring.''

I'm not sure if this dormant period during winter is a factor which might help their survival rate, does anyone know?

If it doesn't, as it says the caterpillar is fully-formed within the egg, if you were to put these eggs back into the wild, tied onto the Elm, with the warming temperatures it's likely to trigger hatching. The issue would be around what the situation with the Elm tree is, some species of Elm begin flowering before others. It would depend (not completely) on whether the destined tree was in flower, seed, opening leaf buds, or in leaf. White-letter Hairstreak caterpillars feed on every stage of the trees cycle. Pauline, it's completely your choice what you do :) I'm just following-up on Goldie's suggestion.

What is the current stage that the original tree is in?

Looking forward to future posts.
All the best, Jamie

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I thought I (roughly) understood this process Jamie, but I now feel totally confused and wonder if you could clarify a few things for me so that I can make a more informed decision:
Jamie Burston wrote:if you were to put these eggs back into the wild, tied onto the Elm, with the warming temperatures it's likely to trigger hatching.
Clearly I would not want this to happen Jamie as then the larva really would be way out of sync and unable to survive the winter presumably. However, why would that happen? If hatching is triggered by warm temperatures then surely over the warm period between June and August all eggs laid in the wild would hatch? I am assuming there must surely be a period of some development inside the egg before it reaches a stage where it can hatch. I am also mindful of the egg Paul had which hatched quite early in the fridge and certainly hadn't been subjected to warm temperatures prematurely. I guess what I am really aiming for - one way or another - is to synchronise these eggs so they hatch at the appropriate time in 2017. If anyone has had experience of this and has any advice to offer then please feel free to chip in with this discussion.

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Pauline wrote:I thought I (roughly) understood this process Jamie, but I now feel totally confused and wonder if you could clarify a few things for me so that I can make a more informed decision:
Jamie Burston wrote:if you were to put these eggs back into the wild, tied onto the Elm, with the warming temperatures it's likely to trigger hatching.
Clearly I would not want this to happen Jamie as then the larva really would be way out of sync and unable to survive the winter presumably. However, why would that happen? If hatching is triggered by warm temperatures then surely over the warm period between June and August all eggs laid in the wild would hatch? I am assuming there must surely be a period of some development inside the egg before it reaches a stage where it can hatch. I am also mindful of the egg Paul had which hatched quite early in the fridge and certainly hadn't been subjected to warm temperatures prematurely. I guess what I am really aiming for - one way or another - is to synchronise these eggs so they hatch at the appropriate time in 2017. If anyone has had experience of this and has any advice to offer then please feel free to chip in with this discussion.
I've now confused myself! I was hoping to help. :roll: It's purely all an assumption as I've never heard of White-letter Hairstreak eggs hatching the same year they have been laid (two broods!). What I meant was that given it's unfamiliar territory it could potentially be the case that as the eggs are going to experience more warmer days (we all hope :lol: ) that it could allow the caterpillars to make up for the time taken in winter to develop. Proceeding to hatch as they would be developing further in later and warmer spring weather to that they might be subjected to normally.

If this doesn't make sense I wouldn't worry, it's all guess work and we learn along the way by observation.

Your aim to have them hatch in 2017 is a great one, sorry I can't help you with suggestions to achieve this! Premature stages is all very new to me, this year really in fact.

All the best,
Jamie

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

I would leave the eggs on the young elm tree and let them overwinter outside in the garden, then transfer the larvae back into the wild when they start stripping the young elm. They would then be in sync with the 2017 brood. I think the eggs need a winter before they want to hatch.

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Found it!

In the book ''Butterfly Watching, Paul Whalley, Seven House Naturalist's Library'' (Common Blue on front cover)
The text from Paul Whalley is dated 1980, some unheard of things mentioned in this book, as your read below -

Going off topic but int the book it says: Large Copper - ''introduced into the fens of East Anglia in 1927 still survives.''

Under White-letter Hairstreak it says:
''Life-cycles Eggs laid singly in forks of twigs of Elm and Lime where they spend the winter, hatching following spring after 8 to 9 months. Caterpillars feed on Elm, Lime and other trees; fully grown after 6 weeks. Chrysalids last 26 days.
Adult butterfly life Up to 3 weeks.
Flight period July to August.''

''Lime and other trees'' - What?!?!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Jamie Burston wrote:Found it!

In the book ''Butterfly Watching, Paul Whalley, Seven House Naturalist's Library'' (Common Blue on front cover)
The text from Paul Whalley is dated 1980, some unheard of things mentioned in this book, as your read below -

Going off topic but int the book it says: Large Copper - ''introduced into the fens of East Anglia in 1927 still survives.''

Under White-letter Hairstreak it says:
''Life-cycles Eggs laid singly in forks of twigs of Elm and Lime where they spend the winter, hatching following spring after 8 to 9 months. Caterpillars feed on Elm, Lime and other trees; fully grown after 6 weeks. Chrysalids last 26 days.
Adult butterfly life Up to 3 weeks.
Flight period July to August.''

''Lime and other trees'' - What?!?!
Not that I didn't believe you but I had to check that in my copy, how odd :?: . I looked in a few older books I have (1930's/40s) and they all state Wych Elm as a fav and occasionally Common Elm, the only mention of another tree is in 'Larval Foodplants' by P. B. M. Allan which states "has been found on Ash".

Going even further off topic but another curiosty I just read in 'Pocket Book of British Butterflies and Moths' by Charles A. Hall published 1938 (reprint 1950) Duke of Burgundy.... "the larvae feeds on Primrose and Dock, hiding under the plant during the day." and the next entry for the Grizzled Skipper states that it is found in Ireland :?:

Sorry to hijack your diary Pauline

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Pauline,

May I add my two penny worth to the above posting.
Last Summer I found a single White Letter Hairstreak along the old railway
in Hailsham ( image in my diary ), and the above information is particularly interesting
because I'm pretty certain there are no Elms in the area, Plenty of Ash though, and other tree species.

Many thanks,
Trevor.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

trevor wrote:HI Pauline,

May I add my two penny worth to the above posting.
Last Summer I found a single White Letter Hairstreak along the old railway
in Hailsham ( image in my diary ), and the above information is particularly interesting
because I'm pretty certain there are no Elms in the area, Plenty of Ash though, and other tree species.

Many thanks,
Trevor.
I'd just like to clarify, I'm not for a second suggesting that WLH feed on anything other than Elms, just commenting on some peculiarities in some books. '...Found on Ash' was more than likely an errant wanderer, perhaps searching for a pupation site. As Pauline shows in this PD they do like to wander! And so do the adults, how else would they find isolated Elms to colonise, your one Trever could well just be inbetween two Elms. I think only Paul Whalley can clear up the oddities in Butterfly Watching... most likely an honest mistake not picked up in the editing process.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Lime is a frequently cited foodplant for w-album. Higgins and Riley mention it, as does Carter, in the Caterpillars of Europe. I only have the French edition of this latter book, but it gives: 'Ormes (Ulmus glabra, Ulmus procera ...), Tilleuls (Tilia), Aulnes (Alnus), Chênes (Quercus) ...' Often, what this really means is that caterpillars have been persuaded to take these plants in captivity - but perhaps females will also lay on them in extremis.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Padfield wrote:Lime is a frequently cited foodplant for w-album. Higgins and Riley mention it, as does Carter, in the Caterpillars of Europe. I only have the French edition of this latter book, but it gives: 'Ormes (Ulmus glabra, Ulmus procera ...), Tilleuls (Tilia), Aulnes (Alnus), Chênes (Quercus) ...' Often, what this really means is that caterpillars have been persuaded to take these plants in captivity - but perhaps females will also lay on them in extremis.

Guy
Interesting, Higgind & Riley even listing Lime before Elm, perhaps a case of chinese whispers in the late 70's/early 80's :?:

I'll hand this PD back to Pauline now... :oops:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you to all for some very interesting input and discussion. When time permits I shall re-read some of my old books, hopefully from a position of now being better informed. Whilst early naturalists clearly did some remarkable work with their observations and recording, they were not infallible (Gilbert White springs to mind with his speculation that Swallows hibernated in reed beds by lakes) and were sometimes contradictory. When inaccuracies are discovered within a text it is difficult to decide to what extent other details can be relied upon. This highlights the importance of accurate research, keen observation and meticulous recording in current times. It is too easy for assumptions to be widely propagated, becoming fact in the process. One example from my early butterfly days is having been told repeatedly from respected individuals that Brown Hairstreaks do not come down in the afternoon. This is clearly not true as I have seen them in the afternoon and early evening taking nectar from flowers at 3 different sites. This is also the reason I am considering rearing my WLH eggs again – my experience has been very limited to date but I can find no text that states the larva pupate in soil/leaf litter, despite that being the clear preference of the individuals in my care, and in line with other British hairstreaks (with the exception of Black). I would like the opportunity to test this aspect again.

I can now see 5 WLH eggs so I am back to where I started with a second chance to get it right (if I decide to go down that route). I may well decide to keep the tree in the mesh cage to protect the eggs and at an appropriate stage plant the tree on the original site. I shall consider all options carefully before I decide.
P1780886ad.jpg
I should report that 2 of the WLH have now died. Their lifespan of 12 days falls well short of the 40 days stated by Frohawk for Green Hairsteaks and is even well below the ‘up to 3 weeks’ suggested by one of the texts above. Despite being in captivity I believe these individuals have indulged in natural behaviour – mating, egg-laying, ‘sun-bathing’ , taking in food, etc. All these activities were conducted in the manner I have witnessed in the wild. Only the sparring of the males has been absent, but with only one male at a time there was obviously no competition. I have no reason to think the butterflies were stressed. The last few days they have been in the garden enjoying the sunshine (which incidentally resulted in an ‘explosion’ of 26 Whites emerging!)

Thank you for your comment Andy – you, more than most, know how much time, effort, care and money goes into this activity.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Your are correct to point out that a lot of the literature on animal behaviour is suspect. Too many authors simply repeat what has been written in earlier texts, without testing the information for themselves. Of course, there is also the trap of basing too much on behaviour in captivity. In the 20th century, far too much reliance was placed on observations made in zoos, for example. I think that, in the case of common butterflies, it is not too difficult to provide a good approximation to their natural habitat, especially in the larval stages, and I'm sure that there are plenty of valuable observations to be made by dedicated people such as yourself.

Incidentally, the situation is far worse in the plant world, where the habitat requirements of many plants are based on the information from a single grower - if their plant grew in wet conditions, say, then that is stated as their preference, even though the plant might have been a particularly hardy specimen, which simply put up with completely the wrong conditions!

Mike

Edited in response to Peter Eeles comment (below) to clarify that I am referring to common species, without specialised larval requirements
Last edited by MikeOxon on Tue May 03, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Diaries”