CFB

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
CFB

Re: CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning in the Parc de la Brague I saw my first Berger's Clouded Yellow (#28) of the year. In fact I saw perhaps ten or twelve of them. This one is a male.
IMG_1491.JPG
There were also many Orange-tips, both females and males,
IMG_1493.JPG
a few Wood Whites. I think this one was still asleep,
IMG_1479.JPG
a few Brimstones, this is a female,
IMG_1481.JPG
and also Speckled Woods, Green Hairstreaks and many Wall Browns.
--
Colin

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

A lovely set of photos, Colin.
I wish we had more Berger's over my way, I'll be lucky if I get just 1 sighting around Marseilles / Vitrolles.
Cheers, Chris

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CFB

Post by CFB »

Thanks, Chris.

I was pleased to see that your week in the Drôme was very successful.
--
Cheers,
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

It was very cloudy this morning along the Piste du Curnier, so there only a few butterflies to be seen, and fewer photos to be taken :( . But I did get a close-up of my first Southern Small White (#29) of the year :) .
IMG_1497.JPG
There were also several Wall Browns, a couple of Brimstones, Berger's Clouded Yellows and Orange-tips, and a Green Hairstreak.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Two more firsts of the year today: several Common Blues (#30),
IMG_1535.JPG
and, in the garden, a Geranium Bronze (#31).
IMG_1538.JPG
Also seen were a Scarce Swallowtail,
IMG_1530.JPG
many Wall Browns; several Baton Blues, Wood Whites, Orange-tips and Small Heaths; a few Berger's Clouded Yellows and Brimstones; two or three Spanish Festoons; and one Weaver's Fritillary.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Today it is sunny, but cooler due to the wind, which accounts for the relatively few butterflies seen.

I did however see my first Glanville Fritillary (#32) of the year:
IMG_1556.JPG
Also seen were two Scarce Swallowtails, many Wall Browns, a few Berger's Clouded Yellows, one Weaver's Fritillary, a few Orange-tips and a few Small Heaths.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Another lovely sunny day, with a slight breeze.

No "new" sightings today, but I did get better photos of a Glanville Fritillary,
IMG_1573.JPG
and a Weaver's Fritillary.
IMG_1581.JPG
I also saw one Spanish Festoon,
IMG_1582.JPG
one Common Blue, several Berger's Clouded Yellows, two Scarce Swallowtails including one in the garden, several Small Heaths, a few Wood Whites and Orange-tips, and an abundance of Wall Browns.
--
Colin

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Your weather is much better than ours Colin enjoy it. Goldie :(

CFB

Post by CFB »

Goldie, I'm doing my best to enjoy it, out walking and looking for butterflies for two hours this morning, and watering the garden (yes!) this afternoon. I saw a few butterflies, Wall Browns, Speckled Woods, Brimstones, Orange-tips and so on, but no photos, the butterflies kept on moving :( . And it was sunny all day, with some clouds far away in the Southern Alps, but quite windy.
--
Colin

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Awful here in the north, it's been snowing on and off all morning. Goldie :(

CFB

Post by CFB »

Yesterday I saw, for the first time this year, a Comma (#33) and a female Black-eyed Blue (#34). I don't see many of these butterflies, and didn't get photos of either.

Today I saw, and photographed, my first Adonis Blue (#35) of the year.
IMG_1630.JPG
Also seen these two days were Spanish Festoons,
IMG_1648.JPG
a slightly damaged Green-underside Blue,
IMG_1653.JPG
a Scarce Swallowtail, Orange-tips, Brimstones, Berger's Clouded Yellow, Wood Whites, Wall Browns, Speckled Woods, Common Blues and Small Heaths.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

In the Parc de la Brague this morning I saw my first Spotted Fritillary (#36) of the year, a female.
IMG_1681.JPG
Nearby there was a Swallowtail
IMG_1664.JPG
in the company of a Scarce Swallowtail, both in very good condition,
IMG_1671.JPG
and not far away a Glanville Fritillary.
IMG_1676.JPG
I also saw several Common Blues and Adonis Blues, a Green-underside Blue, fewer Wall Browns than usual, Small Heaths, Orange-tips, Speckled Woods and Wood Whites.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Oops, a bit behind with my diary!

On wednesday the first Dingy Skipper (#37) of the year,
IMG_1732.JPG
on thursday the first Meadow Brown (#38),
IMG_1755.JPG
and this morning the first Marsh Fritillary (#39).
IMG_1788.JPG
Also seen during these three days were Provence Orange-tips, Berger's Clouded Yellows, Spanish Festoons, Orange-tips, Scarce Swallowtails, Baton Blues, Glanville Fritillaries, Adonis Blues, Wall Browns, Cleopatras, Brimstones, Wood Whites, Green-veined Whites, Southern Small Whites, Common Blues, Small Coppers, Speckled Woods and Green-underside Blues.
IMG_1783.JPG
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hello Colin,
I think I too may have seen a Meadow Brown out the corner of my eye yesterday, but wasn't sure. I will be on the lookout for them as this will make them 2 weeks earlier than last year according to my records. This does feel rather early.
Cheers, Chris

Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I saw a Meadow Brown on 2 May, just one of a number of species emerging earlier than usual. Definitely an early season in the far south (60 species so far here), although reports from Lyon say it's a normal year.

We went to a friend's house a couple of days ago and the commonest species in their garden was Iolas Blue (Iolana iolas). Not many gardens can match that....

David M

Post by David M »

Roger Gibbons wrote:We went to a friend's house a couple of days ago and the commonest species in their garden was Iolas Blue (Iolana iolas). Not many gardens can match that....
That's just rubbing it in, Roger! :(

What did they have growing there which tempted this species in?

CFB

Post by CFB »

A couple of days ago I saw this colourful female Common Blue in the garden.
IMG_1796.JPG
Due to the wind I didn't expect to see many butterflies this afternoon down by my local quarry, but in the end I saw several Brown Argus (#40, the first of the year),
IMG_1818.JPG
several Common Blues, one nicely coloured Spanish Festoon (at 15 minutes on foot from home!),
IMG_1808.JPG
several Clouded Yellows, a couple of Adonis Blues, several Brimstones, a Glanville Fritillary, and one tatty Camberwell Beauty (#41, the first, and quite likely the only one of the year).
IMG_1846.JPG
I stayed with it for 15 or so minutes during which time it swooped down at high speed and touched the top of my head on two occasions. On the ground it stayed mainly with its wings closed, which was a pity, but did open them now and then.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Not much today due to a strong wind, even though it was sunny and warm.

But I did see a couple of Adonis Blues,
IMG_1855.JPG
several Berger's Clouded Yellows, one or two Clouded Yellows,
IMG_1863.JPG
a warn Scarce Swallowtail through a wing of which the colour of the thistle can be seen,
IMG_1876.JPG
a few Small Heaths, a Spotted Fritillary and a couple of Wall Browns. And also a Small Purple-barred moth.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Very few butterflies this morning, and the only one photographable was one of a few Knapweed Fritillaries, the first of the year (#42) :) .
IMG_1897.JPG
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Two more firsts of the year in the Parc de la Brague this morning: a few Southern White Admirals (#43)
IMG_1907.JPG
and a lot of Provence Chalkhill Blues (#44).
IMG_1917.JPG
There were also a Scarce Swallowtail, a few Adonis Blues and Brimstones, several Glanville Fritillaries and Berger's Clouded Yellows, a Meadow Brown, Wood Whites, and Wall Browns.

And yesterday I saw this magnificent Beetle :o :
IMG_1903.JPG
--
Colin

Return to “Personal Diaries”