Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Wurzel and David.
It was great to spend that magical moment with Jack, which, for me at least, marks the official start of spring. For that first sighting to become a mating pair made it even more memorable. Hopefully a good omen for what lies ahead.
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Extreme Mothing

Last night (13 April) Colin Knight and I decided to go mountaineering by torchlight (don’t try this at home) at Mill Hill, to count the Barred Tooth-striped moth. This localised species sits high up on stems of Wild Privet and is quite easy to spot just after dark. We came away with a pleasing tally of 16. However, the photography of a moth while balanced on a very steep and unstable slope, using a basic bridge camera under torchlight, proved challenging.
Barred Tooth-striped, Mill Hill 13.4.16.jpg

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic Neil, I thought only Mike had seen the OT"s so it's great you've also got photos too :mrgreen: also Grizzled Skippers, I live to far a way for them :cry: Goldie :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Neil,
Just read about your exploits with torch, slippery slope, basic bridge camera, on the Sussex site.
Mad Dog's and Englishmen spring to mind, still it's in a good cause and obviously bore fruit.
Happy that your day out with Jack H. produced some Orange Tips.

All the very best,
Trevor.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Orange-tip Meadow

On Sunday (17 April) I took my daughter, Mia, to my favourite location for Orange-tips. The quiet lanes, meadows and copses around Five Oaks are now bursting with Cuckooflower, Bluebell, Primrose, Celandine and Wood Anemone, but Orange-tips are still in short supply, with only two males and a single female seen. It's still too early to tell whether they are just late, or are going to have a poor season. I'm hoping it's the former, as suggested by the surprising absence of Green-veined White, Speckled Wood and Holly Blue here.
BC O-tip Five Oaks 17.4.16 (3).jpg
BC O-tip Five Oaks 17.4.16 (1).jpg
BC O-tip Five Oaks 17.4.16 (2).jpg
BC O-tip Five Oaks 17.4.16 (4).jpg

Colin Knight

Post by Colin Knight »

that is a fabulous photo of Mia with the OT, that's what I like to see, youngsters with the butterfly bug...

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

'The quiet lanes, meadows and copses around Five Oaks are now bursting with Cuckooflower, Bluebell, Primrose, Celandine and Wood Anemone ...' Lucky you; I really like Cuckooflowers but haven't seen one yet; the local Woods are full of the other plants though. Super pictures. And Wow; how lovely to see the Butterfly on her hand. My brother won't let me forget that a Comma Butterfly landed on his hand, three times, last year!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Neil, love your own little Butterfly Goldie :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Colin, Mike and Goldie. The smile says it all! :D
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Dingy Out

With spring still on the go-slow Mill Hill was hardly awash with butterflies this morning (18 April), but perseverance eventually paid off. I spotted my first Dingy Skipper of the year, a total of four Grizzled Skippers (including the first female I've seen) and a Green Hairstreak. Numbers of overwintering species, such as Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell, remain atypically low for the site at this time of year.
BC Grizzled (1) Mill Hill 18.4.16.jpg
BC Grizzled (2) Mill Hill 18.4.16.jpg

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Great shot of Mia, Neil - and very appropriate wording on her top :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
trevor

Post by trevor »

If your little Daughter can charm, a usually difficult, Orange Tip, what could she do
with His Majesty later this year?. Bring her to Botany Bay! ! !. :D

Best wishes,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely images, Neil, and comforting to know that at least one little girl will hold butterflies dear to her heart throughout her lifetime...

...and God knows we will need plenty like her in generations to come.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of photos Neil - I with spring would get on with it and stop with the go-slow - if we do get better weather soon will we get a sudden rush of species all appearing at once?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Lovely images once again.
Hmm!!!

Neil claims that he doesn't understand technicalities such shutter speed, ISO, aperture, etc. He certainly knew that to photograph me needed a wide angle.

Grr!

Jack (now back in Sturgeonland)

David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:Sturgeonland
Never heard of that, but I fully understand its meaning. :D

Glad you had a great day out with the master butterly-teaser, and pleased you're now safely back home amongst the majority Beluga!

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Pete. I only noticed the wording on Mia's top when I cropped the image. A little bit of luck always helps a composition!

Thanks, all. Wishing everyone a great season, as it looks likely to get underway properly next week.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

New Season

Mother Nature seems to have added a fifth season to the year, although I'm not sure we have a name yet for the period between winter and spring. I don't think this has been her best invention. Let's just hope that the forecast for some warmth next week is correct.

I've not managed to get out much lately due to work, and when I have, finding butterflies has been difficult. Spring species are appearing one-by-one, but numbers of everything have been extremely low. By way of a catch up - an image of the single Green Hairstreak I saw at Chantry Hill on 20 April, and a Purple Emperor caterpillar found by Penny Green (Knepp Safaris) on the Knepp Castle Estate on 26 April.
BC Green Hairstreak, Storrington 20.4.16.jpg
BC Knepp PE cat 27.4.16.jpg
Today (30 April) was little better, despite long periods of sunshine. A return to Chantry (Storrington) yielded a single Dingy Skipper, two Green Hairstreaks and three Grizzled Skippers, including this recently hatched female. Apricot coloured meconium can be seen on the Cowslip flower.
BC Grizzled Skipper, Chantry Hill (2) 30.4.16.jpg
BC Grizzled Skipper, Chantry Hill (1) 30.4.16.jpg

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Lovely to see your emperor cat, Neil. Matthew Oates says the mild, wet winter has been disastrous for the wintering cats he has been following. Let's hope those that made it through will now flourish.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Neil :mrgreen: I'd love to find a Grizzled Skipper, not round here I'm afraid :( Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”