Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

Looks like the weather has gone from the ridiculous to the sublime Goldie :mrgreen: Nice Comma I can't wait to see my first.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Cheer's Wurzel, I've been lucky this year so far, it was 21st of March last year before I saw my first Butterfly, I've gone out later in the day this time because the mornings have been to cold which the Butterflies don't like. Hope you see the Comma's soon Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Nice pictures; the deep yellow of the Dandelion flower provides a nice background for the butterflies.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie, great to see you are seeing butterflies :D Still nothing for me but then again I have not been out looking yet.

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Neil, back in the cold here Worse luck. Goldie :(

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It seems ages since I posted but at least I've managed to sort my garden out and my green house which is now full of Begonias ready for pot planting, in-between I've had company again, got a sickness Bug ( got sick with the weather as well,) :D

I've been over a few times to Hall-Lee-Brook, nothing until yesterday when I saw a couple of Comma's again, one was in the same place I'd seen it on the 16th March. I thought back in March that the Butterflies were really starting to come out because I'd seen a Comma the day afterwards on the 17th also Small Tort's , since then nothing until yesterday, that makes 24 days between my first sightings and the couple of Comma's, I saw yesterday, the strange thing is last year I saw nothing until late March but from then on in early April I was seeing Orange tips, SW's SW, Peacock, ST. Of course the weather has a lot to do with it, I'll have to put my trip to Gait Barrow this year later than last, the end of April and not the middle like last year.

Today the temperature is 15c but the wind speed must be about 30miles an hour I think :( The Sun is hazy, I've been back to HLB today nothing again, it does make you wonder about the Butterflies and hope they're Okay. Goldie :?
Attachments
IMG_7121.jpg
IMG_7117.jpg

maverick

Post by maverick »

There all OK Goldie
Sunday at the Sankey vally Warrington I spotted my first Brimstone's of the year also two peacocks. Also on the bird front I spotted two swallows and a chif chaf
Summer is just around the corner

David M

Post by David M »

Hope you're fully on the recovery trail, Goldie.

15c trumps anything I've seen in south Wales so far this year. I daresay you'll be seeing Orange Tips very soon.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for that Maverick, let's hope we see some thing soon, rain so far this morning, UGH!
You sound like you live in the North West as well so you'll know all about the awful weather we've had.

Hi! David, thank's I'm feeling much better now just waiting for the better weather :D I just wish they'd
sort the forecast out, yesterday was supposed to be 15c but I think they forgot to say the wind chill would take it down to 9c :roll: Stroll on ! Goldie :D

maverick

Post by maverick »

Warrington Goldie not far from you
I've also had a look around Hall Lee Brook

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Maverick, at HLB did you go to the other side of the High School :?:
HLB spreads over to Park RD , if I see the Orange Tips before you I'll let you Know, I don't know much about the Warrington area coming from Rossendale,so not sure where the place is you spoke about. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Hope recovery is almost over and you're out and about and making the most of the reasonable weather Goldie. :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, I was definitely out and about yesterday, best day we've had yet this year, 14c no wind, and Sunshine all day fantastic.
We set off yesterday to Hall-Lee-Brook, I felt sure with the weather being so nice that we'd see some thing,
( nothing was flying ) I only went half way a round because usually when going through the small gate entrance you can usually see some thing if the BF's are about, not wanting to waste the lovely day we decided to go to Southport and try our luck there.
We decided to stop first at Mere Sands, I'm so glad we did I managed to see my first Brimstone's and Peacock's of the year :D there was Peacocks every where flying high, landing quickly and taking off almost instantly, after not seeing any BF's for so long, I'd almost given up on Spring, I just stood there taking it all in and watching them, it was the tonic I needed :D
I managed a quick shot as one landed and when the Brimstone's arrived, that, was icing on my cake. I couldn't say for sure how many Peacocks we saw, there was so many but there were about 3 or 4 Brimstone and I was lucky that one landed onto a Dandelion near where I standing. That was yesterday , now we're back to square one with the weather, yellow warning for rain UGH! At least my count is now four :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Peacock Mere Sands
Peacock Mere Sands
Peacock's
Peacock's
Brimstone
Brimstone

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the Peacocks flying high Goldie :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Salvation at last, Goldie! Love the aerial shot of the Peacocks.

maverick

Post by maverick »

No stopping you now

trevor

Post by trevor »

Great aerial shot !. Spring may be a bit slow up there. but soon you'll be able to
see Northern species not seen down here. Lots of Peacocks here too.

Trevor

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everyone, isn't it just great when the Butterflies finally arrive in force, weather permitting I may try to get to Gait Barrow next week, I think it's to be nice mid week, Green Hair Streaks have been spotted at Meathop Moss, I know where to find them if their at GB ,it's either that or wait a bit longer for the Dukes, mean time back at HLB I'll be looking for the OT's, not sure what to find this year because last year I only saw one female. This time last year I'd seen my first HB at HLB nothing yet not even a Speckie. Ah! well at least things are moving.Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Today there was a cold wind and although it was cloudy at times in the Sunshine it was quite warm, trouble was the Sun didn't stay out long enough for many Butterflies.
I went to Hall-Lee-Brook, ( forever the optimist ) immediately I got there the Sun vanished but I did catch sight of a comma disappearing into the distance and has I went further down towards the stream a very cold looking Tortoiseshell was hiding in the nettles and bracken,we soon went back to the car out of the cold wind, hope fully tomorrow my be better although Snow and frost have been forecast I'm hoping it's just for the hills.
I was pleased to see the S Tort,it was the first time I'd seen one at HLB since the middle of March, strange though when not in the Sun they usually close their wings, this one didn't but left them open, it also seemed to struggle a little with it's balance so I'm assuming it hadn't been out too long. ( either that or it was frozen to the spot :lol: ) Goldie :D
Attachments
Small Tortoiseshell 16th April.jpg

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Friday and Saturday were pretty much Butterfly Free Days around here; Rainy on Friday and Chilly yesterday. Sunny today but I'm thinking it may not be very Warm; but nothing ventured, nothing gained, I think!

Return to “Personal Diaries”