Marseilles and its region 2016

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Chris Jackson

Re: Marseilles and its region 2016

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks Russ, I'm hoping to get some better photos of the Nettle-tree Butterfly but that's a start. So in Spain they also have April showers in March, like in France ? :D

Thanks Colin and Roger,
This flower (Speedwell) is therefore Véronique in French, and I was duly reprimanded by my wife (Véronique) for not having known that :oops:

Roger,
Watch this space, I'll have some interesting photos and a worrying photo coming up soon. :shock:
Cheers, Chris
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

These last two weekends I have been inland and upland into the Var at 650 m Alt. to see how Spring is taking hold in the upland areas.
Whereas Spring is now being felt this week in the lowland areas of the South of France, inland at 650 m there are very few signs of nature waking up.
The only BFs flying were Cleopatra and Large Tortoiseshell.
However, this magical place in the photos below should produce a minimum of 75 species of butterfly throughout the season.

I was greeted by the bucolic view of Shepherdess, sheep, goats, sheepdog and 'patou'. The 'patou' is the large white dog.
troupeau moutons et chèvres - Vallon 12Mar16 (2).JPGI was surprised however to see a 'patou'. A 'patou' is a pyreneean sheepdog which is raised with the flock of sheep, to form part of the flock (mingle in with the sheep), and to ward off any predators with its loud agressive barking. What it was doing in Provence, I don't know - I must ask the Shepherdess if I see her again. Here is the cortege advancing along the track:
troupeau moutons et chèvres - Vallon 12Mar16 (1).JPG
A 'patou' is a Pyreneean sheepdog which is raised with the flock of sheep, to form part of the flock (mingle in with the sheep), and to ward off any predators with its loud agressive barking. What it was doing in Provence, I don't know - I must ask the Shepherdess if I see her again.

The watering hole for the sheep and goats with the trampling of hooves all around it:
trou d'eau - Vallon 12Mar16 (3).JPG
But, alas, the netting for the mobile over-night sheep pen is placed slap bang around a butterfly hotspot - sacrilege !!
context Vallon 19Mar16 (1).JPG
This very precise patch of 'nothing' is home to Sage Skipper, Cinquefoil Skipper, Foulquier's Grizzled Skipper, Rosy Grizzled Skipper and Southern Marbled Skipper, to say the least.
Let's hope the butterflies will emerge when the time comes.
Cheers, Chris
Attachments
troupeau moutons et chèvres - Vallon 12Mar16 (2).JPG
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Surpaturage (Eng = over-grazing) - the curse of the PACA region in particular.

Maybe this should be reported to Stephane at CEN-PACA, Chris?

Roger
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Yes it is worrying, Roger. I don't suppose sheep look where they're putting their hooves or mind what they eat !

South of France - 21st March - 15°C, sunny and no wind.

Truly the start of Spring. My lunchtime patch at work came up with a new sighting today.
SPECIES No. 18 : Baton Blue

I saw two Baton Blues, both males, patrolling the thym (their LHP) which is now in flower. This species is 2 weeks earlier than last year:
baton14 male Vitrolles scrub 21Mar16 (5).JPG
baton14 male Vitrolles scrub 21Mar16 (3).JPG
baton14 male Vitrolles scrub 21Mar16 (2a).JPG
My Swallowtail has come out of hiding, and Scarce Swallowtail is expected very soon:
machaon19 Vitrolles scrub 21Mar16.JPG
Some context photos of the plateau of Vitrolles:
context Vitrolles scrub 21Mar16.JPG
The entrance is not very welcoming:
context barrier Vitrolles scrub 21Mar16.JPG
The Rock Rose is starting to bloom and a white Crab Spider can be seen lurking behind this one:
Rock rose Vitrolles scrub 21Mar16.JPG
Also flying : rubi, pirithous, brassicae, cleopatra, megera, crameri, daplidice, crocea.
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

South of France - 22nd of March - 15°C, sunny with light wind

First sightings this year for these two on my lunchtime patch in Vitrolles:
SPECIES No. 19 : Scarce Swallowtail
SPECIES No. 20 : Small Copper
Both these species are on time this year, compared with 2015.
Despite having freshly emerged, this podalirius has already lost both its tails:
podalirius15 Vitrolles scrub 22Mar16.jpg
This phlaeas has also had a chunk taken out of its hindwing. Nectaring on flowering thym:
phlaeas27 Vitrolles scrub 22Mar16 (1).JPG
Dwarf iris in the scrub:
iris Vitrolles scrub 22Mar16.JPG
Also flying (all at the same time): atalanta, rubi, machaon, daplidice, crameri, rapae, brassicae, megera, crocea, baton, pirithous
Cheers, Chris
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

The Mistral wind is blowing today in the Bouches du Rhône so my lunchtime walk was more for the fresh air than anything else. However, I didn't come back empty-handed. An awkward fluttering movement turned out to be a pair of Bath Whites:
daplidice24 pair Parc Magenta 23Mar16 (1a).JPG
Cheers, Chris
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Folks,
More species this week in the South of France.
Highest temperatures around 15°C. My first Skipper of the year is not too much of a surprise, and is more or less on time.

SPECIES No. 21 : Green-veined White ( no photo yet )
SPECIES No. 22 : Mallow Skipper
The Mallow Skipper flies from the end of March, well into October down here near Marseilles.
alceae16 Vitrolles olive grove 24Mar16.JPG
A pair of Large Whites mating:
brassicae14 pair Vitrolles olive grove 24Mar16 (1).JPG
brassicae14 pair Vitrolles olive grove 24Mar16 (2).JPG
And a better view of a Nettle-tree Butterfly. I just happened to go a further 50 metres outside my usual lunchtime patch and I fell upon a new spot for Nettlies. Yet another site to be monitored :roll:
celtis13 Vitrolles olive grove 24Mar16 (1).jpg
I've already had my fill of Swallowtails for this year. I must find a different angle ( cop ? - I havn't seen that yet ).
machaon20 Vitrolles scrub 24Mar16.JPG
Keep watching this space, I've got a beauty coming up !!
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Saturday 26th March

SPECIES No. 23 : Provence Hairstreak

This species is very scarce in the Bouches du Rhône.
I'm quite happy with the photo because it shows submarginal markings that not all the books show.
Female:
ballus4  26Mar16 (9a).JPG
Context:
context - ballus 26Mar16 (4).JPG
Picnic between association members after the hunt for ballus:
context - Picnic recherche Ballous 26Mar16 (3).JPG
This is possibly its LHP - any ideas what it is ?
plante hôte ballus 26Mar16 (2).JPG
EDIT : I've been told since that this is PROBABLY NOT its host plant.
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CFB

Post by CFB »

Hello Chris,

WOW!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
--
Colin
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

It’s so scarce in les Bouches du Rhône that it hasn’t been seen there for at least 30 years. Great that you have found it there, although it’s not so far from the known location of Bandol, just into the Var.

It seems to be an early season, so I hope ballus is still fresh when I get there on 11 April. I have chanced upon four new locations for ballus over the past decade and now it seems that a search in any area that looks likely is proving fruitful.

I have no idea what the plant is. It looks a little like Anthyllis tetraphylla but it is hard to say without seeing the flowers. The usual foodplant in my experience is Dorycnium hirsutum. It favours a variety of very low-lying plants but I have seen it egg-laying on plants some half-metre above the ground.

Next you will be finding Chapman’s Green Hairstreak (Callophrys avis) in Bouches du Rhône!

I have a location for Spring Ringlet (Erebia epistygne) in northern Var, Chris. I will be looking there about 15 April, and I’ll let you know if I find it.

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

Well, you weren't joking when you said in your earlier post you had a beauty to reveal!!

Superb find. What is the background to this search? Is this group a local lepidoptera association?
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hello Colin, Roger and David,
Thanks for your comments. Its always good to find something new on one's own doorstep.
I will keep an eye on the development of the LHP in view of a more precise identification.
Cheers, Chris.
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Well done Chris with the Provence H/S, I bet you'll see another before the season finishes :shock:
Russ
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks Russ.
And not to be down-staged by your Black-eyed Blue, here is my first sighting of 2016.
Yesterday at 650 metres altitude, overcast and a cool 15°C - a male Black-eyed Blue.
SPECIES No. 24 : Black-eyed Blue (my 1st lifer of 2016):
alexis8 male 28Mar16 (1a).JPG
alexis8 male 28Mar16 (2).JPG
Context:
context - 28Mar16.JPG
No nectar plants in flower.
This was my first blue of the year at this altitude.
Cheers, Chris

EDIT : I had originally believed this was a Green-underside Blue.
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Fantastic pictures of some lovely species. I haven't seen either a Provencal Hairstreak or a Green-underside Blue. Your pictures are great. I need to persuade the family that we should take our summer holiday earlier in the year, I think!!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thank you, Nick.
Just for you then, a special viewing before I completely wear the topic out - see T. ballus below.

Today I saw a very early (or very late) Long-tailed Blue. This individual may have over-wintered somewhere given its condition (Thanks to Roger for the I.D. confirmation).
South of France : 18°C and sunny.
SPECIES No. 25 : Long-tailed Blue
boeticus23 29Mar16 Vitrolles scrub (1a).JPG
A final viewing of Tomares ballus (from the Easter weekend) to avoid over-kill 8) . Comparison of male and female:
Male:
ballus6 male 28Mar16 (a).JPG
Female:
ballus7 female 28Mar16 (1a).JPG
Today at lunchtime (back at work, after Easter) I saw my first female Baton Blue. The males have been around for 10+ days already. Here is one female ovipositing on thym - their LHP.
baton17 female Vitrolles scrub 29Mar16 (3a).JPG
Wish you were here, as they say. :)
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I've had quite a few Adnams tonight, but that alexis is at least anomalous. The arrangement of the spots is distinctly melanops, even if the upperside margin seems more alexis and there is little in the way of underside submarginal markings. Do you get both in your region?

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

You're having a cracking little spell right now, Chris. Long may it continue!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Padfield wrote: .... that alexis is at least anomalous. The arrangement of the spots is distinctly melanops, even if the upperside margin seems more alexis and there is little in the way of underside submarginal markings. Do you get both in your region?
Guy
Hello Guy,
I really am not sure. This is just the start of the flight period so I hope to come up very shortly with better images.
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:01 am, edited 7 times in total.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

David M wrote:You're having a cracking little spell right now, Chris. Long may it continue!

Hi David,
The different species seem to appear here at a machine-gun rate. I barely have time to process my photos. The worst thing is 'work' getting in the way of my hobby :( .
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Overseas”