Mike Robinson

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Mike Robinson

Post by Wurzel »

That's a nice early Specklie Mike - it might just be because I haven't seen this species for 4 months now but it looks quite lightly marked on the fore wing? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Dear Wurzel,

Thanks for noticing this. Would light markings be of significance please? I don't know too much about Butterflies.

Here is another (not very good alas) picture of the Butterfly.
speckledwoodonoutguildong6march2016.jpg
Kind regards ~ Mike ...

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It looks a really nice Butterfly Mike, the colours stand out with having the White back ground , usually they're in a much darker setting with Tree's etc, don't know too much about the markings though but the others may know. Goldie :D

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Goldie M; thanks ...

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

A Sunny Day with some Wind although nothing like as chilly and relentless as on the previous day.

Walking down a fairly sheltered Public Footpath in the Belvedere area (close to the Crossness Nature Reserve) we were fortunate enough to both see and photograph our first Comma Butterfly of 2016 viz.
commapublicfootpathbelvedereroadarae17march2016.jpg
A Brimstone Butterfly (our first of 2016) whooshed towards us and past us; a few minutes later a Brimstone Butterfly passed us from behind. Although it would be nice to think we had seen two Brimstone Butterflies it seems reasonable to assume it was the same Butterfly, which after having reached the end of the Footpath, turned round and came back!

Thus our tally of locally seen Butterflies for 2016 rises to five; namely single Brimstone, Comma, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell and Speckled Wood Butterflies.

That being said, although it was nice to have seen the Brimstone and Comma Butterflies and photographed the Comma Butterfly, we were also super-pleased to see and photograph a rather dear looking, Bee Fly (possibly Bombylius major, per the dark edges to the wings) viz.
beeflyonefootpathbelvedere17march2016.jpg
beeflytwofootpathbelvederearea17march2016.jpg
And we also heard and then saw our first Skylark of the year on the Crossness Nature Reserve. Although it's probable we won't hear or see many more if (or more probably when) proposed building work goes ahead on the fields on which they breed.
Last edited by Mike Robinson on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, looks like Spring is taking off now, :D It's ages since we heard a Sky Lark round our way they seem to have vanished, I used to love hearing them high in the sky on a Summer's day, I don't know why or what's happened to them but the Summer's not the same without them. Goldie :(

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Goldie: howdy. If proposed construction developments take place and I see no reason for them not to (I can't imagine the local Coucil being too interested in our Objections) we will probably lose our few Skylarks for ever.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,
Well done with the Comma. I totally agree with you about the lull in that biting east wind yesterday.
As soon as it eased the Small Tortoiseshells came out to play, giving me the choice of eleven to chase
with my camera !.

Have a great season,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You're doing exceedingly well Mike with plenty of early sightings including the great looking Bee Fly :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Dear Trevor and Wurzel:

Thanks for noticing the Butterfly and Bee Fly. You are both very kind ...

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

I read these Personal Diaries and find myself thinking Wow; these people know so much about Butterflies. For my part, not knowing much about Butterflies &c., I have always felt somewhat self-conscious about contributing but since I have always been made to feel welcome I shall bash on! Thank you.

The forecast for tomorrow looks promising; as it did for last Monday which turned out to be something of a washout here in SE London. Dreary most of the day. The forecast for Tuesday was initially for dreariness but it suddenly changed to Bright and Sunny and Bright and Sunny it was. Almost a 'no cardigan day' to boot.

So we toddled down to the Crossness Nature Reserve to see what we could see.

We first spotted a white Butterfly in a Paddock area of the Reserve and decided to climb over a Gate to get a better view. With our knees we should have known better! After finally getting ourselves over the gate the Butterfly annoyingly moved off so remained unidentified. Climbing back over the Gate we got temporarily stuck; thankfully no-one else was around! Not something we shall try again in a hurry.

We subsequently saw a Brimstone Butterfly, 3 Peacock Butterflies and a Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly; managing a few pictures including:
brimstoneerithmarshes22march2016.jpg
peacockoneerithmarshes22march2016.jpg
peacockthreeerithmarshes22march2016.jpg
smaltorttwoerithmarshes22march2016.jpg
smalltortthreeerithmarshes22march2016.jpg
Walking down a nearby Public Footpath close to the Crossness Nature Reserve where we had seen a Comma Butterfly a few days earlier, we came across this character:
commaerithmarshes22march2016.jpg
We imagine it was probably the Butterfly seen previously.

We then moved on to look around the Grounds of the Church of St John the Baptist in Erith, with the hopes of seeing some flowering Early Dog-Violets and were not disappointed viz.
earlydogvioletstjohnthebaptist22march2016.jpg
And we were super-pleased to find a Peacock Butterfly visiting one of the many Primroses that brighten up the Church' Grounds at this time of year viz.
peacockstjohnthebaptist22march2016.jpg
Postscript: down on the nearby Thames' Foreshore we spotted an Oystercatcher seemingly preparing to take a lunge at an unsuspecting Ringed Plover viz.
oystercatcherandploverthameserith22march2016.jpg
Thankfully appearances were deceptive and the Oystercatcher quietly passed the Ringed Plover by. Phew.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A lovely selection of Spring butterflies there Mike :mrgreen: In fact, looking at your photos with the sun shining and the blossom and spring flowers, anyone could be forgiven for thinking it is actually Spring! :lol: :wink: Here in Liphook we are still in the depths of Winter - it is freezing! :(

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Pauline: Thanks for noticing this &c. Tuesday was totally unexpected. No Sun either yesterday or today although the Forecast suggests tomorrow might be Sunny with Saturday and the following days Rainy. With some super-strong Winds over Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I don't much care for the idea of that!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You did much better than I did on Tuesday Mike. I too was surprised by the amount of sun compared with the Monday and Wednesday but all I got from a 5 hour stroll was a couple of fleeting glances of Commas. Looking at the weekend forecast I'm almost glad I'm working through it....almost!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

That's a very impressive haul Mike. Spring has certainly arrived in your area.
I think Tuesday was the best day of the year so far for bright, warm sunshine.

All the best,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Good effort, Mike. All the adult hibernators should now be out in force. All we need is a bit of sunshine and warmth to coax them into action.

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

bugboy, trevor and David M: thanks very much for your kind encouragement &c. A blue sky this morning and hopefully at least, a 'one cardigan day'; but the forecast for the next few days doesn't look too encouraging with strong winds forecast. Kind regards ~ Mike ...

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great haul and some lovely shots Mike :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

One of the joys, for us at least, of photographing Butterflies, is that they are often seen visiting/resting on pretty flowers. For my part I really like to see a Butterfly on a Bluebell so was super-pleased yesterday to spot this Comma Butterfly on a Bluebell beside one of our local Public Footpaths viz.
commafootpathbelvedere30march2016.jpg
commatwobluebell30march2016.jpg
We were subsequently super-fortunate to notice a Small White Butterfly on a Dandelion viz.
smallwhitefootpathbelvedere30march2016.jpg
And then, after photographing both a dear fluffy Bee Fly viz.
beeflytwofootpathbelvedere30march2016.jpg
and a Red-Tailed Bumblebee visiting a Red Dead-Nettle viz.
redtailedbumblebeeridgeway30march2016.jpg
we went shopping!

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Dear Wurzel, Thanks for noticing the pictures &c. dated 24 March. Sorry for not thanking you before ...

Return to “Personal Diaries”