Nick Morgan

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
NickMorgan

Re: Nick Morgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Thanks Dave and Wurzel. Yes, it was an amazing day. I would have never known to look there without the help of Eddie John. It was a three hour drive from the villa we were staying in, but well worth the journey.

Troodos Mountains, Cyprus

On 28th July I decided to head for the Troodos Mountains in search of some different species of butterflies. I had been told that many species make their way up into the cooler mountains from the coast in the summer. There are also various other species that are only found in the mountains.
I drove along the coast and then up the F616 towards Troodos, stopping a few times whenever I saw a spot that looked good for butterflies.
My first stop was to take a picture of the view, but I noticed a small patch of Polygonum equise, so thought I should check if any butterflies were feeding on it. There was a very old and tattered Common Blue and then I noticed a really small butterfly. I was delighted to see that it was a Grass Jewel, Chilades trochylus. It was so small that I could only follow its shadow as it flew from flower to flower. I mentioned these in a previous post, but this was the first one I saw and I was overjoyed!
Grass Jewel P1100302.JPG
All along the road I saw Swallowtails and Small White as I drove along. Further up in the hills I stopped a couple of times to look for some of the Grayling species that occur on Cyprus. However, all I saw were Long-tailed Blues.
Eventually, I arrived at Pano Paltres and just as I was leaving the village I saw a small parking area with walking trail. This was a rough tail following a small river up to Caledonian Falls.
As I started to walk up the track I saw several butterflies. The first I thought was another Long-tailed Blue, but it turned out to be a Purple Hairstreak, Favonius quercus. This was a surprise as I have been lead to believe that the Purple Hairstreak is rare in Cyprus and this was in an area of fruit trees with no sign of any oak trees - their normal food plant. I have only ever previously seen subspecies ibericus in Spain, so this was the first time I have seen a proper Purple Hairstreak!
Purple Hairstreak P1100316.JPG
It allowed me to take one picture, but then flew off. There were a number of Long-tailed Blues at this lower end of the track along with Holly Blues. An Oriental Meadow Brown, Hyponephele lupina, briefly landed at the side of the trail and I was able to take a quick picture before someone walked past and disturbed it.
Oriental Meadow Brown P1100327.JPG
A little further up the track three Large Whites were feeding on a plant. I was about to take a picture of one of them when three kids ran up with fishing nets swiping at the butterflies!! Unfortunately, this walk proved to be very popular and it was difficult to see any butterflies for any length of time before they were disturbed by someone walking past.
However, this area had a good number of different butterfly species. I was surprised to see a few Speckled Woods, Pararge aegeria, here.
Speckled Wood P1100336.JPG
Among the Speckled Woods I was teased by a number of dark butterflies that would not let me approach them. I would only notice them when they flew up from the rocks on the trail. They would always land too far away for me to identify them, but I did manage to take a couple of pictures on full zoom which allowed me to identify two of them as Cyprus Graylings, Hipparchia cypriensis. One is a male and one is a female.
Cyprus Grayling P1100346c.jpg
One other butterfly I was able to identify was the Lattice Brown, Kirinia roxelana. This is a very striking butterfly with large brown ocelli on its wings. I disturbed it as I was walking up the trail, it flew off and landed next to a rock and then crawled into the vegetation. Unfortunately it flew off when I tried to get a better view of it.
All along the trail there were Holly Blues, Celastrina argiolus, resting on leaves, feeding on flowers and drinking from the damp soil at the edge of the river.
Holly Blue P1100355.JPG
The walk to the falls was well worth the climb with the fine spray nicely cooling the air.
P1100350.JPG
On my return journey, as I was driving through Paltres I noticed a large thistle with some Large Whites, Pieris brassicae, feeding on it. I stopped the car and walked back thinking that I could get a photograph to make up for those chased away earlier by the kids.
Large White P1100370.JPG
While I was watching them a Clouded Yellow, Colias croceus, and a White-banded Grayling, Pseudochazara anthelea, briefly landed on the thistles, each allowing me just enough time to take a fuzzy photograph!
Untitled.png
On my way home I stopped off a few more times. In a small field just outside Kedares there was a small irrigation channel surrounded by wild flowers. Among them I saw several Common Blues, Polyommatus icarus.
Common Blue P1100381.JPG
The field also contained many Large Whites, Holly Blues, Clouded Yellows, including the white form helice, a Speckled Wood and a Cleopatra. A little further down the road next to a layby I saw another Grass Jewel and a Mallow Skipper.
All together a very successful day searching for butterflies even if most of the pictures are fuzzy!

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

A very interesting commentary.
But fuzzy pictures? They seem pretty much OK to me.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

I'm really enjoying this report, Nick. Lovely images once again.

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Great pics, Nick,
I'm starting to think toward future holidays already.
The Purple Hairstreak is a treasure :mrgreen:
Chris

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

even if most of the pictures are fuzzy!
I used to go to Cyprus regularly some 50 years ago when in the Air Force. All I ever saw were Bath and/or Small Whites.

Nice report Nick even though the quality of the the pictures is not always what you might have wished, it gets the flavour of of you visit perfectly.

Jack

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great reportage Nick :mrgreen: :D You're making me look forward to my next visit abroad even more :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Thanks everyone.
Jack, I noticed large areas of Cyprus which were marked "United Kingdom". I hadn't realised that there was still such a large military presence there.

Levantine Leopard - Apharitis acamas

On the last day of our holiday in Cyprus I decided to walk along a dried-up stream bed not far from our rented villa in Pegia. I had hoped that there may be some different butterflies there that I hadn't seen so far. However, after about a kilometre I hadn't seen any butterflies and I was about to turn back when I saw a Cyprus Meadow Brown. This spurred me on to continue a little further along the stream bed.
P1100441.JPG
A little further along the stream I saw a small butterfly in the distance behaving like a Long-tailed Blue. I climbed out of the stream bed to see if I could find it and I was amazed to see that the butterfly was a Levantine Leopard, Apharitis acamas.
Levantine Leopard P1100430.JPG
This is a butterfly that I thought was so rare that I didn't stand any chance of seeing one! Every time it landed it closed its wings immediately. I could see when it was flying that the upper side of the wings was a yellow colour. The underside is a cream colour with brown stripes, each containing a line of silver scales. There are two tails on each hind wing, the larger of which has a blue patch that only shows when the sun hits it.
Levantine Leopard P1100439.JPG
I had read that this butterfly is easily approached and does not scare easily, so I slowly reached out to one and coaxed it onto my finger. I couldn't believe how much the silver scales glinted as I turned it in the sunlight. Stupidly, I had picked it up on my right hand and I discovered that it is impossible to use my camera using my left hand!!
Levantine Leopard P1100443.JPG
I was surprised that there were five Levantine Leopards in this one small area and I found two more 100 metres further up stream. This was a thrilling end to my butterfly hunting in Cyprus.

I saw 29 different species while I was there, with 13 of them being species that I hadn't seen before. I was surprised not to have seen any Brown Argus, Aricia agestis, or Painted Ladies, Vanessa cardui. The only butterfly that I was hoping to see that I didn't was the Southern White Admiral, Limenitis reducta, but I really can't complain having seen so many Lycaenidae that I had wanted to find.

I was delighted with what I had seen and I am very grateful to Eddie John for his help with good places to look for butterflies. His excellent web site can be found here: http://www.cyprusbutterflies.co.uk/.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow what a stunning butterfly :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It's so beautifully marked it doesn't seem real :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Levantine Leopard
That patterning must be some type of camouflage but your photos show them perching quite openly. I wonder where they hide when 'off duty’. There is a parallel with our Brimstone: very noticeable in flight and nectaring but as soon as it goes onto a patch of ivy (maybe to hibernate) becomes almost invisible. And think of that little white mark on the Comma: looks like a chink of light through a tangle of branches.

These patterns have usually evolved for a reason.

And yes, a lot of UK sovereign territory in Cyprus. I was there when Greeks and Turks lived happily (?) side by side. I hung some shirts out to dry outside my room and they were 'appropriated' by one of the locals. I was able to find out some details and subsequently, had a distinctly biased view as to who were the 'goodies' and who were the 'baddies'.
50 years on though I have forgotten whether the perpetrator was a Greek or Turkish Cypriot. Time heals - all is forgiven!

Jack

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Nick

that Levantine Leopard has to be one of the most beautiful butterflies and so unusual. I'm sure you'd say your photos don't do it justice but I would have to disagree as the silvery markings are clearly visible together with the blue on the tail. It is hard to believe it is real. You must feel so privileged to have seen it. I am assuming it is about the same size as a LTB?

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Wurzel - I think that one of the reasons I wasn't expecting to see it was because it is so different and almost unreal!
Jack - I would guess that they will hide in amongst the thorny bushes, so possibly they are quite difficult to spot. Funnily I was looking for hibernating Commas this winter (without success) thinking that the little white mark would give them away! I am pleased that you have got over the loss of your shirts!!!
Pauline - I always think that my pictures could be better, and it was frustrating not being able to take a picture of the Levantine Leopard when it was on my finger. As its angle to the sun changed it really sparkled. Yes, it was the same size as a LTB.

It must be the most unusual butterfly that I have seen. I liked its striped abdomen, which reminded me of a wasp. It also had a very thick proboscis, which it seemed to be constantly moving and touching the plant it was on.

David M

Post by David M »

Great stuff again, Nick. This is a butterfly I'd hitherto never heard of and a look at my Collins European butterfly guide failed to enlighten me, even though Cyprus is in Europe!!

Apharitis myrmecophila - Desert Leopard, is in, and mentions distribution in Cyprus, but apharitis acamas is NOT included, so unless there have been some taxonomic amendments been made recently, this is an insect that Collins does not cover!!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Nick,Wow! what a beautiful Butterfly, it's the most unusual I've ever seen, I bet your thrilled with your self
I know I would be and what an end to great holiday Goldie :D

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I echo the comments on the Levantine Leopard - it really is out of the ordinary.
Chris

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Really lovely butterflies, Nick. You're giving me ideas.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Apparently Levantine Leopard is not common in Cyprus.

Eddie John is the Cyprus expert - this is his page for this species:
http://www.cyprusbutterflies.co.uk/page12.html

Worth going to Cyprus just for this species!

Roger

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Thanks everyone. It certainly was a thrill seeing the Levantine Leopard and many of the other species there. I had quite low expectations for Cyprus. We were drawn there by the price of accommodation, but later discovered the price of flights!!
I would certainly recommend Cyprus as a holiday destination and as a destination for butterfly enthusiasts. I was primarily there with the family, but had two days off when I went off on my own specifically to look for butterflies. With more time, I am sure I would have seen even more species. June would be a good month to go, with the Paphos Blue and Eastern Baton Blue also flying there. If you do go, be sure to send in your butterfly records to Eddie John!

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for sharing the details with us, Nick. Cyprus is a place I've long fancied visiting, and if there are butterflies like those around, then the attraction is all the greater.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I have at last finished sorting out last years records for East Lothian. Despite the weather I received a bumper number of records, which gave a really good picture of how the butterflies fared over the year.
I will remember 2015 as being rather grey and cool. After a mild winter with only one dusting of snow, spring arrived in mid March with butterflies regularly being recorded from the 18th March.
Much of the summer was cloudy with only short spells of sunshine. While areas north and south of East Lothian enjoyed longer sunny periods, we seemed to miss any good weather. In fact when I was checking the Butterfly Transect results, I didn't come across one record sheet showing the temperature being above 20 degrees Celsius!
However, the weather in September and October was lovely and later in the year we avoided the heavy rain, which caused flooding elsewhere in the UK. The weather didn't really turn cold until 4th December.

Peacock, Aglais io
The first butterfly recorded in 2015 was a Peacock on 4th March. They were regularly seen with the last record of a worn specimen being seen on 30th June. On 16th July the first of the new generation was spotted and again they were seen in good numbers until 1 November.
Peacock.jpg
Small Tortoiseshell, Aglais urticae
Small Tortoiseshells also did well this year with the first record being on 19th March. There was no clear division between the generations and they were recorded through to 8 December. That was our last butterfly record of the year.
Small Tortoiseshell.JPG
Comma, Polygonia c-album
I think 2015 was the best year we have had for Commas here in East Lothian. The first record was on 23rd March and they were regularly spotted through April. I only received one record each month in May, June and July and then from the beginning of August they were seen in good numbers through to 26th October.
Comma.JPG
Small White, Pieris rapae
The number of Small Whites recorded in the spring was down on previous years, probably reflecting the poor weather we had late in the summer of 2014. The first record in 2015 was on 9th April and they were seen through to the 7th July. From 6th August the second generation appeared and they were seen in better numbers until 1 October.

Orange Tip, Anthocharis cardamines
Orange Tips did well this year. The first record was on 9th April and they were recorded through to 27 June. This was quite a prolonged flight period, maybe as a result of the cool weather.
Orange Tip.JPG
Green-veined White, Pieris napi
Green-veined Whites always do well here. The first record for 2015 was on 9th April and they were seen in smaller than normal numbers until 16th July. On 6th August the second generation emerged and they were seen in good numbers until 14th October.
Green-veined White.JPG
Red Admiral, Vanessa atalanta
The first Red Admiral record was on 10th April and I only received three more records until July when we were literally invaded by hundreds of them. On 1st July I saw six Red Admirals flying or blowing in from the sea on a cold grey day. Six other people reported similar sightings that day and I received several records of Red Admirals over the next few days. These butterflies went on to produce a further generation and high numbers of Red Admirals were seen until 11 November.
Red Admiral.JPG
Large White, Pieris brassicae
Like the Small White, numbers of the spring population of Large Whites were quite low. They were first recorded on 15th April until 7th July. The second generation was seen between August 6th and October 26th in far greater numbers.

Speckled Wood, Pararge aegeria
The first Speckled Wood was recorded on 18 April. Their numbers seemed a little disappointing compared with last year, but they picked up later in the season. The last record was on 26th October. They didn't extend their range as they have in previous years, but considering the weather they continued to do well.
Speckled Wood.JPG
Small Copper, Lycaena phlaeas
Small Coppers did very well here in 2015. Because I received so many records there was a nice clear division between the two generations with the first generation being between 20th April and 8th July and the second generation being between the 12th August and 1st October.
Small Copper.JPG
Holly Blue, Celastrina argiolus
I only received one record of a Holly Blue in 2015 on 21st April. Whilst it is sad to only receive one, it gives me hope that there may be a hidden colony of Holly Blues somewhere in East Lothian. Records in recent years have all come from three neighbouring villages, so I intend to have a thorough search of the area this year!

Small Heath, Coenonympha pamphilus
Small Heaths were recorded from 4th May until 25th September. This is a longer season than I have seen here before, which is possibly a result of the cool summer we had.
Small Heath.JPG
I'll continue with the remaining species in my next post.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward to the next instalment Nick. I definitely agree with you about the Large Whites - they had a terrible year down here at the opposite side of the country :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”