Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Trevor

Post by David M »

That doesn't amaze me in the slightest, Trevor. I saw some myself on Christmas Day last year when conditions hadn't been anything like so mild, so it's no surprise that there are plenty about right now.

The way things are going, we could have lambs being born in January, which could be potentially disastrous.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I could not resist a shot of the full Moon on this Christmas evening.
Apparently quite a rare event.
Attachments
P1180808.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

...Full Moon on this Christmas evening.Apparently quite a rare event.
Full moons repeat approximately every 29.5 days. So on average, a full moon will occur on Christmas Day every 30 years or so.

However clear skies on 25th December probably happen only - for sake of argument - one year in three. So, to observe a full moon on Christmas Day is indeed a pretty rare event.

I saw a full moon on a Christmas Day some 70 years ago but missed this latest one due to cloud cover. QED a "rare event" in this context = once in a lifetime.

In 2016, the full moon nearest to Christmas is on 14th December.

Jack

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Jack,in other words i'm unlikely to see another one ! :( .

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I had no need to stretch my brain like that. It's all here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... lipse.html

At least I wasn't too far out.

Jack

trevor

Post by trevor »

RSCN6458.JPG
RSCN6458.JPG (119.87 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
WISHING YOU ALL PLENTY OF THESE IN 2016! :D .

Happy new year to all on UKB :D .

Best wishes,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Happy New Year to you, Trevor....and yes, an Emperor or two wouldn't go amiss in 2016! :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

At this quiet time of year for Butterflies,I hope I may be forgiven for going right off topic.
I am probably not the only person on UKB to have interests other than Butterflies. But one of
my main interests that kept me away from Butterflies for many years was a lifelong love
of historic railway carriages.
Two examples of restoration projects that I led, over a period of 21 years, are shown below.
Both were complete wrecks when found and required a major rebuild. 7598 took ten years,
and 3363 eleven. Both coaches may be seen on the Bluebell Railway in Sussex.
7598 is currently appearing in a TV commercial for ' Go Compare ' car insurance.
Attachments
London Brighton & South Coast Railway 1st 7598
London Brighton & South Coast Railway 1st 7598
South Eastern & Chatham Railway ' Birdcage' Brake 3rd 3363
South Eastern & Chatham Railway ' Birdcage' Brake 3rd 3363

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
John W

Post by John W »

trevor wrote: Happy new year to all on UKB :D .
Happy New Year to you too Trevor :D Look forward to meeting up with you out in the field sometime.

Cheers
John W

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Trevor:
I am probably not the only person on UKB to have interests other than Butterflies
I have yet to meet a butterfly enthusiast who is dull and boring. We all have other interests.
One of mine was sadly unfulfilled at 2 am when I woke to look for the forecast aurora........only to find there was high cloud :cry:

And, I have to admit that tomorrow I am going to see Star Wars :oops:

Jack

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Jack Harrison wrote:And, I have to admit that tomorrow I am going to see Star Wars :oops:

Jack
Already seen it twice and may go and watch it again next week!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy New Year to you to Trevor, here's hoping for plenty of Purple in 2016 :D

Have a goodun, 2016 that is!

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Happy New Year Trevor, and that's just what I want for this year a lovely shot of the Emperor :D Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

It could be Easter, but it's only January 12th, and what's more these Daffodils
have been in bloom for nearly two weeks.
Attachments
P1180818.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

It's crazy, isn't it, Trevor? I noticed a similar patch on a roundabout near Tesco's in Llansamlet yesterday. Hopefully this forthcoming cold snap will prevent more flora and fauna emerging early.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

Not much in bloom around my patch of the midlands, it may have been mild but it has been bl**dy miserable mostly with gusting winds and lashing rain for weeks now.

Cheers,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Firstly, my apologies for the poor quality of this image.
Out in my garden this morning I was aware of this tiny bird flitting around some of
my shrubs. I went and grabbed my camera and the best image I could obtain was this one.
I'm after an ID. My bet is either for a Firecrest or Goldcrest.

Your help, as always, would be appreciated.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1180838.JPG

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

From what I've read (I'm no expert), it's far more likely to be a Goldcrest than a Firecrest, but the main distinguishing characteristics are around the eyes, so not visible in your picture. I had Goldcrests in my garden before Christmas and was pleased to get this photo (heavily cropped) http://www.pbase.com/dilettante/image/161901567/original.jpg. Lovely little birds!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Like Dilettante says, it's far more likely to be a Goldcrest but you are in the right place of the UK not to rule out a Firecrest.We do get a huge influx from the continent during the winter and they are rather bold little things when busy feeding. When you get your ear in they are easy to hear from their high pitched call as well.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoy ... index.aspx

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Trevor,

Hope all's well?

Definitely a Goldcrest.

Kind regards. Mark

Return to “Personal Diaries”