Holiday to Spain part 3

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Holiday to Spain part 3

Post by Philzoid »

continued from part 2b

This excursion started a half hour earlier than the Ronda one and was run by the same company, different driver but same guide, Daniel :) . This time we were the last passenger pick-up so after we boarded it was all systems go to Malaga and onward to Granada.
The weather remained largely clear and sunny the whole trip, in fact for the whole day, and the temperature in Granada reaching 16C by mid-afternoon :D .
After being deposited at the Paseo del Salon close to the town centre, Daniel pointed out the first monument of interest, a fountain decorated with Pomegranates which are a symbol of the city. Daniel explained that the Moorish name Granada translates to Pomegranate …. but I haven’t been able to substantiate that ‘fact’ yet from the internet :? .
pomegranates on fountain and another of those Christmas trees
pomegranates on fountain and another of those Christmas trees
Our entire party were then taken on a walk to the cathedral before given the option to go our own way if we wished to. We had just over 2 hours before we all had to meet back with the coach to take us for a guided tour of the Alhambra palaces at our designated time slot (don’t be late :!:). I’d been to Granada before albeit over 23 years ago but I knew the best place to try and explore in the time available and that was the Albaicin old Moorish quarters overlooked by the Alhambra.
The crowds of people, taxi’s minibuses etc thronging along the narrow road that ran alongside the river Darro made progress slow going. I imagined in summer this would be even worse, so I had to be thankful we were here when we were. Despite the crowds, we were able to find a small quiet Bodega where we had a slap-up tapas lunch for a dirt cheap price, and then made our way up into the relatively deserted, narrow streets of the Albaicin to take in the views of the Alhambra and more :) .
Alhambra from Plaza Victoria, Albaicin
Alhambra from Plaza Victoria, Albaicin
We made it back in time to our bus and 20 minutes later we were at the Alhambra. The entrance area was different to the one I remembered using in 1992 (by the Alcazaba). The Alcazaba was also out of bounds to our party which was a pity as it affords brilliant views over the city.
The entrance led us to the Generalife gardens and summer palace of the Sultan. The location and elevation provided great views of the Alhambra.
C 2015.12.31 IMG_9066 La Alhambra from Generalife, Granada.jpg
The gardens also provided me with a butterfly, a Painted lady :D .
New year's Eve Painted Lady
New year's Eve Painted Lady
No more butterflies were seen for the rest of the day. However, a surprise showing of a red squirrel was a huge bonus :D . Last time I saw a Red squirrel was when I was a kid on a school trip at Middleton in Teesdale. This Red Squirrel was dark and it reminded me of a Pine Marten’s colours. He wouldn’t keep still long enough for me to get a decent pic … that’s my excuse anyway :wink: .
E 2015.12.31 IMG_9077 Red squirrel (at southernmost of its range in Spain), Generalife, Granada t.jpg
F 2015.12.31 IMG_9224 Red Squirrel, Generalife, Granada t.jpg
On the Southernmost end of its range I believe?
On the Southernmost end of its range I believe?
After Generalife a tour of the Alhambra proper followed. These are a few of my favourite pics taken:-
G 2015.12.31 IMG_9061 Albaicin from Generalife, Nasrid Emir's summer palace, Granada.jpg
Ceiling detail in La sala de la Barca, Comares Palace
Ceiling detail in La sala de la Barca, Comares Palace
Palacio Comares, Patio de los Arrayanes (Court of the Myrtles),
Palacio Comares, Patio de los Arrayanes (Court of the Myrtles),
Ceiling of Sala de los Abencerrajes
Ceiling of Sala de los Abencerrajes
Torre de Las Damas (Ladies Tower) & Generalife
Torre de Las Damas (Ladies Tower) & Generalife
Albaicin from Torre del Peinador de la Reina
Albaicin from Torre del Peinador de la Reina
Jardines del Partal (garden of the Partal), and Ladies Tower
Jardines del Partal (garden of the Partal), and Ladies Tower
A great tour in a wonderful city. If you go to Spain, you should make the effort to visit Granada 8) :!: .
For the coach journey back we had the added bonus of being the first to be dropped off after being last on (the opposite for Ronda). After an hour to smarten up we went out to Zachary’s for another low-cost slap-up meal, the standard in Spain it seems :D . Rather than stay out we returned to the apartment to see in the New Year firework celebrations on TV, but just couldn’t stay awake, crashing out before midnight :roll: :wink: .

The morning of New Year’s Day was another one promising to be a scorcher, so I took the opportunity to search for butterflies in the resort areas that had yielded results on Wednesday. The start of my search proved even better with a couple of Painted Ladies right from the off, and this time fresher and larger than the ones previously seen :D .
N 2016.01.01 IMG_9304 Painted Lady, off Avenida del Sol, CLC.jpg
Also seen another Praying Mantis ootheca cemented amongst the flowers.
O 2016.01.01 IMG_9291 Praying mantis ootheca, off Avenida del Sol, CLC t.jpg
The Painted Ladies were much more obliging than previously allowing me to get in quite close with the macro. I spent quite a few minutes at this spot 8) .
P 2016.01.01 IMG_9324 Painted Lady, off Avenida del Sol, CLC.jpg
Q 2016.01.01 IMG_9777 Painted Lady, Avenida Marina del Sol, CLC.jpg
In the end I realised I’d have to move on if I was going to have sufficient time to check out the lanterna bushes and more of the waste ground area that had provided me with a Painted Lady and Small White two days earlier. However, trying to capture some underside shots of the Painted ladies on the Lanterna hedge by the tennis courts, delayed my progress in getting there.
R 2016.01.01 IMG_9804 Painted Lady, By tennis courts.jpg
S 2016.01.01 IMG_9807 Painted Lady, By tennis courts.jpg
Moving on I took a different route onto the waste ground climbing up a steep crumbly bank (getting too old for this game :lol: ) then gradually crossing over the waste ground to get to the Lanterna bushes. All the while I was searching the lush dew-laden grass and flowering weeds in the hope of finding some butterflies or anything else of interest. The good condition of the vegetation (including thistles in flower) plus the warm sunny weather gave the impression of a summer’s day in the UK and conned me into thinking there should be lots of butterflies around. However, it was only when I eventually got to the bushes that I made my first sighting, a Speckled Wood. Very soon after I spotted another Painted lady but I focussed my attention on getting a shot of the specklie :) .
T 2016.01.01 IMG_9823 Speckled Wood, Lanterna, Avenida San Diego, CLC.jpg
As I concentrated on the Speckled Wood a very-small butterfly suddenly flew across the thickest part of the Lanterna bush to settle and take nectar on a floret deep within the bush :o . Unable to get in close with the macro (Lanterna’s are thorny like bramble), I had to use the Tamron zoom and take my shots at distance of the newcomer, a male African Grass Blue Zizeeria knysna, my 7th species of the holiday :D .
African Grass Blue
African Grass Blue
The butterfly then moved on to a flower-head in a more open position and then, even better still, started to open its wings enabling me to get the following shots: -
V 2016.01.01 IMG_9838 African Grass Blue, Lanterna, Avenida San Diego, CLC.jpg
W 2016.01.01 IMG_9839 African Grass Blue, Lanterna, Avenida San Diego, CLC.jpg
X 2016.01.01 IMG_9840 African Grass Blue, Lanterna, Avenida San Diego, CLC.jpg
Soon afterwards the butterfly moved off and I was back onto the Speckled Wood.
Y 2016.01.01 IMG_9332 Spekled Wood, Lanterna Avenida San Diego, CLC.jpg
Mindful that my quick “I’m just nipping out to photo some butterflies: - be half an hour” had gone well over its allotted time :shock: , I briskly made my way back to the apartment. But as ever on nature forays, something delayed me, this time a flock of Small Birds, (among grasses/rushes/oleander? at distance in a shady spot) which I thought were Zebra finches at the time, until I looked at the photos and found them to be Common Waxbill (Estrilda astrild) it is a native to sub-Saharan Africa but due to introductions and releases, is spreading its range including within Portugal and Spain :| .
Z 2016.01.01 IMG_9849 Common Waxbills, Avenida sunset.jpg
Eventually I did manage to drag myself away from the mini natural oases and find my way back to the ‘ranch’. With the weather being so fine, we decided it was time to chill out on Andy’s Beach again. For me of course, that meant some more time to explore the Cabopino dunes :D .

Phil
millerd

Re: Holiday to Spain part 3

Post by millerd »

Another lovely selection of photos, Phil. It's hard to imagine this is the depths of winter. That little Grass Blue is a treat, and I do like the orange Specklies. :)

Incidentally, the Spanish word for a pomegranate is indeed "granada" (which also means hand-grenade). Pomegranate derives from French: pomme grenate meaning seedy apple. So strictly speaking granada means seedy, which looks highly inaccurate as a description of the city! It is linked to the word grain, and also to the name for the semi-precious stone garnet - which is the ruby-red colour of pomegranate seeds.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great reportage Philzoid and great shots especially of the Grass Blue :D and you've still two species to mention...I reckon a Monarch isn't too far away now :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

millerd wrote:Another lovely selection of photos, Phil
Thanks Dave :) . I think the weather was unseasonably clement even for Southern Spain. If it was the norm then it’s a great time to go there.
millerd wrote:That little Grass Blue is a treat
Indeed it is :) I’ve been lucky enough to see this tiny species in Tenerife virtually every time I’ve been there but the summer heat has always kept them lively and difficult to photo. This one took things a bit more leisurely :D .
millerd wrote:Incidentally, the Spanish word for a pomegranate is indeed "granada"
Wrt to the origin of the name Granada we were informed by the tour guide that the name was of Arabic origin and named after the fruit which grows locally (he may have also mentioned hand grenade but I don’t think garnet was mentioned) However when I looked it up on return I found a couple of websites that said its (Arabic) name possibly meant “hill of strangers” :| . I think the Spanish prefer to go with pomegranate (as I do). It features on that fountain and on their coat of arms …. apparently … I cannot find a decent web image :? .
millerd wrote: So strictly speaking granada means seedy, which looks highly inaccurate as a description of the city!
where we went was far from seedy … but some of the shops around the port area of Malaga that we accidently stumbled upon, might cause a few blushes :shock: :oops:
Wurzel wrote:More great reportage Philzoid and great shots especially of the Grass Blue :D and you've still two species to mention
Thanks Wurzel :) Yes, I've still got two species left ... and two postings also :shock:
Wurzel wrote:I reckon a Monarch isn't too far away now :mrgreen:
I think you might be right there :wink:

Phil
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Nice Grass Blue, Phil. :mrgreen:
Definitely on my wish list should I ever visit Spain.
Looking forward to the next instalment.
Cheers, Chris
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Chris Jackson wrote:Nice Grass Blue, Phil. :mrgreen:
Definitely on my wish list should I ever visit Spain.
Looking forward to the next instalment.
Cheers, Chris
Thanks Chris :) Wasn't expecting to see that species to be honest (common in the Canaries mind). One species I thought I might see but didn't was the Geranium Bronze Cacyreus marshalli. I remember seeing dozens of them in 2007 flying around the pelargoniums in the flower borders on the resort ... although that was in September.

That narrows it down a bit for the remaining two if one was not Geranium Bronze :wink:

Phil

Return to “General”