Maritime Alps

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
John Chapple

Maritime Alps

Post by John Chapple »

Just putting together a few films of last years trip to the Maritime Alps my better half and I took. Here's the first, an introduction really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlfRhRdBH_o
John Chapple

Re: Maritime Alps

Post by John Chapple »

Here's a few of the species we encountered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt-gufauH74
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I've watched both videos, John, thanks for sharing.
Nice holidays, and some quite exotic species !!
Thanks,
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Watching those videos at this depressing time of year has caused me to suffer great yearning.....particularly when that glorious Peak White appeared!!
CFB

Post by CFB »

Hello John,

I enjoyed the (virtual) ride up to the Col de la Bonette. It brought back many memories.

You do seem to drive quickly among all the motorbikes, though :-).
--
Colin
John Chapple

Post by John Chapple »

Don't worry Colin, the film was sped up 300% for effect, I'm not that much of a maniac!
John Chapple

Post by John Chapple »

Here's part two of 'Butterflies of the Maritime Alps'.............Ahh those warm sunny days :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuagXzv53VA
John Vergo

Post by John Vergo »

Great video, looking forward to go there next summer :)
David M

Post by David M »

Oh, you're teasing me now, John! I recognise that forest track and I'll wager your Southern Comma was seen on the exact same lavender bush where I saw mine - the garden of the house at the top of the track!

Was your pyrgus Foulquier's?

...and where did you see the Dusky Heath?
John Chapple

Post by John Chapple »

Hi David,
Yes the female skipper is Foulquier's. Gorgeous creature isn't she. The Dusky Heaths were all over the track, and beside the road leading to the village, as were the Black Satyr's and False Graylings. Remember we were there in mid July so had a different set to when Greenwings were there. We always seem to see something different every visit. We love it! Just a note. If you're in to birds, there have been two nesting pairs of Red-backed Shrikes on the road up to the village for the last three years and in 2015 I found a Rock Buntings nest down that track, there has been a pair there for the last couple of years. Just some added interest before breakfast!

Cheers

John
David M

Post by David M »

John Chapple wrote:Hi David,
Yes the female skipper is Foulquier's. Gorgeous creature isn't she. The Dusky Heaths were all over the track, and beside the road leading to the village, as were the Black Satyr's and False Graylings.
Your Foulquier's sure is beautiful, John. Amazing how things can change within the space of a few days. My last day was 9th July and there wasn't a Black Satyr or Dusky Heath in sight!!

I'll be there for a fortnight this year so I'll look out for any new species before the end of the trip(s). To be honest, if I could accrue sufficient annual leave, I'd spend the whole of July there.
John Chapple

Post by John Chapple »

I would like to spend a month there too, two weeks slide by so fast. Must be honest, I thought we'd missed the boat last year with the season being so early, lucky for us there were a lot of erebias on the wing several new to me. I thought we would need to visit in August to see some Erebias but lucky for us we bumped into several on our travels. Don't know when we will be over there this year, we might try the end of May - early June or even a different part of France............decisions, decisions!
David M

Post by David M »

End of May might be good in the Pyrenees - you'd have Violet Copper as well as Bog and Spanish Fritillary (amongst others).
Tony Moore

Re: Maritime Alps pt 2.h

Post by Tony Moore »

Lovely video - many thanks. Would someone kindly volunteer a list of the species in order of appearance for dummies like me, who could only I.D. about half of them with any certainty :oops:

Tony M.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

John Chapple wrote:Here's part two of 'Butterflies of the Maritime Alps'.............Ahh those warm sunny days :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuagXzv53VA
Thanks for part 2, John. Nice and relaxing.
I must try and do some videos myself. So many things to do, so little time to do them in. :D
Well done.
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Chris Jackson wrote:I must try and do some videos myself.
I shall look forward to those, Chris. :)
John Chapple

Re: Maritime Alps pt 2.h

Post by John Chapple »

Tony Moore wrote:Lovely video - many thanks. Would someone kindly volunteer a list of the species in order of appearance for dummies like me, who could only I.D. about half of them with any certainty :oops:

Tony M.
Here's a species list for part 1 for you Tony..........1, Silvery Argus (male) 2,Marbled Ringlet. 3, Small Apollo. 4, Small Apollo. 5,Damon Blue. 6,Peak White (female). 7, Queen of Spain Fritillary. 8, Apollo (female). 9, Large Blue. 10, Silky Ringlet. 11,Mountain Fritillary. 12, Scarce Copper. 13,Chalk-hill Blue. 14,Foulquier's Grizzled Skipper (male) 15, Silvery Argus (female) 16, Shepherd's Fritillary. 17, Grison's Fritillary (female) 18, Common Brassy Ringlet. 19, Niobe Fritillary. 20, Large Ringlet form 'adyte' 21,Silver-spotted Skipper. 22,Apollo (male).

Part 2.........1, Berger's Clouded Yellow. 2, Southern Comma. 3,Meleager's Blue (female) blue form. 4,Mallow Skipper. 5,Dryad (male) 6,Black Satyr. 7, False Grayling. 8,Scarce Swallowtail. 9,Foulquier's Grizzled Skipper (female) 10, Lulworth Skipper (female). 11,Chalkhill Blue (female). 12,Turquoise Blues. 13, Long-tailed Blue. 14,Lang's Short-tailed Blue. 15,Dusky Heath. 16, Sooty Copper (female). 17,Provencal Fritillary. 18,Great Sooty Satyr. 19,Adonis Blue (male). 20, Meadow Brown..form 'hispulla'. 21, Meleager's Blues. 22, Meleager's Blue 'pair'. 23, Meleager's Blue (female) form 'steeveni'.

As you can probably tell, I love Meleager's Blues!
David M

Post by David M »

Meleager's Blues are great, John; shame they're only just on the cusp of emerging when I'm about to head back to Blighty. :(

You've 4 species in there I've yet to see, but I'd trade them all for a female Peak White nectaring right in front of me!!
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi John and very many thanks for the crib-sheet - I'd actually done better that I thought :shock: ...

I shall be in Mercantor in July and hope to see some for myself. If Winter comes...

Tony M.
John Chapple

Post by John Chapple »

David M wrote:Meleager's Blues are great, John; shame they're only just on the cusp of emerging when I'm about to head back to Blighty. :(

You've 4 species in there I've yet to see, but I'd trade them all for a female Peak White nectaring right in front of me!!
As you probaly know David, Peak whites are notorious for hardly ever landing, at least long enough to photograph or video. We were extremely fortunate to spend several minutes with this one and another as they were both ovipositing. It's only taken me three visits to actually video one!

Return to “Overseas”