Purple Emperor - Favourite Photo of 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 13

Happy 2016 to one and all. Here continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2015!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Mark Colvin

Re: Purple Emperor - Favourite Photo of 2015

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest.

In limited local supply in 2015 ...
Purple Emperor (male)P1210905CR.jpg
Purple Emperor (male)P1220008CR.jpg
Purple Emperor (male)P1230998MCEDITCR.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely images, Mark.

Personally, I didn't get any photos of this species in 2015, although I did see a handful during my first ever visit to Fermyn Woods on 18 July.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great photos Mike, I took my shots of the Empress in Dean Wood Kent, it was my first encounter and I was so excited I clicked the camera like an Idiot, brains went out the window :oops: the date was the 3rd of August and I wish I could go back and take all the shots again :D I'm looking forward to going to Fermyn Woods this year . Goldie :D
Attachments
Purple Empress Dean Wood GM
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

No match for Mark's beautiful shots, but this was from a magical encounter in Alice Holt:

celery

Post by celery »

The last thing I expected to see on a quick jaunt round Cotgrave Forest in Notts. was a Purple Emperor. Fortunately, once I'd got over the shock, this male was happy to pose for a few shots to confirm my sighting.

I submitted my records to the East Midlands BC branch and during the following two weeks loads of members got sightings of their own. I believe 5 or more individuals were seen on one particular visit by the branch recorder. Fingers crossed that this colony endures and we can look forward to many more summers of purpliness in Nottinghamshire! :)
Purple Emperor (Apatura iris) - Cotgrave Forest, Notts. - 12th July, 2015
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

As Marc Colvin said these were a bit thin on the ground this year. However I did see my fair share in dozen or so woods including one very local to me where I have searched for the last four years without success but finally seeing a single male in July. Very poor numbers were seen in Alice Holt, not helped by FC's devastation of the Sallows here, but I did pay a visit to Knepp where I found a pristine male on the ground which by all accounts is a very rare event here - beginners luck!
Purple Emperor Knepp Castle
Purple Emperor Knepp Castle
During September I helped Matthew Oates with his annual caterpillar survey and most exciting I found several of my own pillars which was, for me, the Emperor highlight of the year. I cannot tell you how much I learned but I will be putting this to good effect next year.
second instar sept 2015
second instar sept 2015
Kind regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

Superb images, Mark.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Mostly a bit of a fail this year with only a few fleeting glances of an Emperor but imagine my surprise finding this one on the floor at a local shopping Mall..........
20160105_133540.jpg
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Having missed out on seeing this majestic species in 2014, I was determined to rectify this 2015 and headed over to Fermyn Woods on 15th July which unfortunately turned out to be about a week or so too late for the main emergence. The day of my visit stated off grey and wet with rain showers that finally cleared by late morning to make way for a nice afternoon. In the end I saw maybe a dozen or so Purple Emperors, mostly as flypasts or higher up around the trees but did manage to see a couple come to ground of which the individual below was in the best condition.
Purple Emperor - Fermyn Wood 15.07.2015
Purple Emperor - Fermyn Wood 15.07.2015
Cheers,

Neil
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

July 10 was hot and sunny at Fermyn Woods. I spent much of the day laying on the ground observing Emperors who seemed either oblivious to or unconcerned by my presence. I took many photographs. I have chosen this one because it reminds me of what makes watcing Emperors so different to watching other butterflies, the ability to get on the same level.
Wolfson
Attachments
Fermyn 10 July '15.JPG
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

10th July, Fermyn. I'm cheating, this is Phil's shot but I love it
Purple Emperor 150710 086.jpg
Mine were on 5th usual fare for Fermyn
PE 0034.jpg
Attachments
PE_0029.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Purple Emperor

Despite the bucket loads of PEs on offer at other sites I stuck with Bentley Wood again this year working on the premise that it the third year of the three year cycle and so I should see and be able to photo Hi Nibbs properly and so it turned out! My shots ranged from real close ups but in the shade and so looking black rather than blue through to distant with bright blue shining on the wings and looking like it had been painted on after. This is my fave as despite not being the closest view or having the most blue it was the best of both worlds having the most blue at the closest I could get. Hopefully the three year cycle will break down this year and I’ll get onto grounded Emperors every year from now on!
066 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I struck lucky on my only dedicated trip out to see the Purple Emperor this year, on 11th July. I saw several, but only one came to the ground - and that one was nearly distracted by having to deal with an unusually large Large White first. Different views, but the same butterfly.
PE4 110715.JPG
PE7 110715.JPG
PE1b 110715.JPG
Dave

Return to “Purple Emperor”