Unusual Combination

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
False Apollo

Unusual Combination

Post by False Apollo »

This photo has been driving me crazy for a while now. I photographed this mating pair right on the edge of east Dartmoor. I had specifically gone to photograph High Brown Frits which are now scarce in this area. I saw one fresh male nectaring on bramble. A little later I moved higher up the slopes to see the abundant Dark Green Frits and only looked closely at this photo much later. I am trying to convince myself that this is a male adippe mating with a female aglaja. I'm just not sure as I've never seen two different species of frit mating in the wild before and was not totally sure if colour variation in individuals of the same species could this different. I would be interested in any comments.

Regards
Mike
Attachments
High Brown/Dark Green Fritillary combination?
High Brown/Dark Green Fritillary combination?
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Unusual Combination

Post by Pete Eeles »

These both look like Dark Greens to me; among other diagnostics, adippe has a secondary row of "ocelli" on the hindwing.
Dark Green Fritillary - High Brown Fritillary - underside.jpg
Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Thanks Pete,
It was the reddish underwing spots which threw me and made me unsure. I had checked the lit, and most other features fitted Dark Green, but I wanted another opinion. The High Brown I photographed nearby is in the two photographs below.

Regards
Mike
Attachments
High Brown Fritillary, Devon
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

False Apollo wrote:Thanks Pete,
It was the reddish underwing spots which threw me and made me unsure. I had checked the lit, and most other features fitted Dark Green, but I wanted another opinion. The High Brown I photographed nearby is in the two photographs below.

Regards
Mike
Hi Mike - no worries. I completely understand! Yes, that is definitely adippe!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I feel sure that these are both Dark Greens (A.aglaia). Looking at my own photos of undersides, there is quite a wide range of colouration between green and brown. The key identification feature on the underside of the High Brown (A.adippe) is the extra row of silver spots, ringed in dark red/brown; there is no hint of these in either of your specimens. It's a nice photo of a mating pair, though :)

Mike

edit - crossed with Pete! I'm referring to the original pics.
David M

Post by David M »

I think the contrast in colour is due to one (almost certainly the female) being freshly emerged, before time wears away the early lustre of the scales.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Many thanks Mike and David,
There are surprisingly few illustrations in books of the variation of Dark Green undersides, which does show the value of photographing species year after year as you say Mike. I did think this was probably a Dark Green pairing, but I had a nagging doubt. I did look through lots of books at undersides but they were all typical.

Regards
Mike
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

This is one that I think was probably freshly hatched, as David says.

http://www.butterfliesoffrance.com/html ... ce_30Jun13_

Roger
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Wow, Roger - wonderful shot :mrgreen: .

Tony M.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Yes Roger, I think you photo shows a similar individual to the one I saw. The light no doubt emphasises the underside on being freshly emerged. Lovely photo.

Regards
Mike
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This thread has provided a reminder of the variability in the appearance of our butterflies. This variation can depend on gender, the age of the specimen since emergence, and the lighting conditions under which they are observed. In the case of the Dark Green Fritillary, many field guides show a single illustration of the underside, sometimes with the comment "male - underwings of the female are similar"

To demonstrate the reality, I put together a few examples from my own photo collection (click the photo to enlarge):
DGFcomparison.jpg
These examples show great differences in the underside colours; some much browner than others.

Mike

Return to “Identification”