Comma - Favourite Photo of 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 3

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Comma - Favourite Photo of 2015

Post by Padfield »

Bit of a toss-up for my absolute favourite of the year, but I've come down on this shot, taken in Suffolk in the spring, before the new bracken was in leaf:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Whilst at Fermyn Woods in July, I found these 2 commas on the track in an area where horses had recently passed. In this case Commas made me make a full stop!
Attachments
2 Commas enjoying their food
2 Commas enjoying their food
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My favourite photo this year made me scratch my head a bit because I've been taking their photos every month, the exception being June but I don't think I can better the photos I took recently in my garden :D

I took this one on the 22nd October Goldie :D
Attachments
Comma 22nd Oct 2015 (3).jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

i usually aim to make this one of my first butterfly sightings of the year at Dry Sandford Pit reserve, where the warm sandstone cliffs provided am early sun-spot:
Dry Sandford Pit, Oxon - 8th April 2015<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 lens - 1/1000@f/8 ISO400
Dry Sandford Pit, Oxon - 8th April 2015
Nikon D300s with 300/4 lens - 1/1000@f/8 ISO400
Mike
celery

Post by celery »

Cracking shot that Mike! Here's one taking advantage of an early nectar source high in the cherry blossom of my back garden.
Comma (Polygonia c-album) - Flintham, Notts. - 22nd March, 2015
Comma (Polygonia c-album) - Flintham, Notts. - 22nd March, 2015
Orange and pink! Bit garish... :shock:
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Struggling to pic a favourite single picture but I do remember having a favourite day with Comma's. It was one of my visits to Hadleigh Country Park in Essex looking for WL Hairstreaks and there were simply oodles of fresh Comma's everywhere. So here's a selection starting and ending with slightly arty ones and a variety of shades and markings.
Comma f. Hutchinsoni, Hadleigh Country Park #18.JPG
Comma f. Hutchinsoni, Hadleigh Country Park #24.JPG
Comma f. Hutchinsoni, heavily marked ab. Hadleigh Country Park #5.JPG
Comma f. Hutchinsoni, pale ab. Hadleigh Country Park #5.JPG
Comma f. Hutchinsoni, Hadleigh Country Park #51.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Took this image at Fermyn Wood on 18th July. I kind of like the fact that it's bereft of colour apart from the butterfly itself, which is in typical Comma 'full alert' pose, ready to shoot out and skirmish with any trespassers:
1Comma(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Looking back through my notes and photos it seem that Commas had a reasonable season although numbers around my local patch seemed down a bit for the later emergence.

One of the first butterflies I photographed back in March was a Comma,
Comma - Langley Hall 20.03.2015
Comma - Langley Hall 20.03.2015
They turned up at most places I went to through July,
Comma - Bickenhill 12.07.2015
Comma - Bickenhill 12.07.2015
and were amongst the last butterflies seen in early October at my local spot at Castle Hills near Solihull,
Comma - Castle Hills 04.10.2015
Comma - Castle Hills 04.10.2015
Cheers,

Neil.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

This year I managed to take, I believe, the best f. hutchinsoni photo I've ever taken, so this has to be my choice!
P1030577.jpg
Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

This was taken quite early in the season, 6th April, I'd be lying if I said I could remember where. :oops:

Considering my earlier whinge about Brimstones not showing their topsides I seem to have a lot of underwing pics. :shock:
IMG_6682-c-r-f.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

This is an impossible choice, as over the year (as usual), I have taken a great many shots of a large variety of Commas. The hutchinsoni brood is worth a study in itself with huge differences between dark and light forms, and can also be seen alongside the standard form, just to complicate matters!

The following were all taken on the same day (16th July) within a few minutes of each other on my local patch.
Comma7 160715.JPG
Comma8 160715.JPG
Comma5 160715.JPG
Comma4 160715.JPG
Comma3 160715.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Comma

When looking through my shots to try and work out my favourite for the year I always run through a list of possible reasons for choosing the ‘one shot’. Reasons include reminding me of a particularly enjoyable day, enjoyable company or visiting a particularly pleasant site, did it display a new behaviour or was it a memorable image? There are many more reasons for picking a favourite but this one ticked many of the boxes. It was taken while the girls and I visited all of the Barons placed around Salisbury to celebrate Magna Carta. The Comma appeared and spent the next five minutes or so flitting around us and taking mineral salts from all three of our heads, K’s arm and also the handle of L’s scooter producing a memorable image; the ginger of the butterfly clashing with the bright pink of the handle. So most of the ‘reason’ boxes ticked then! :D
Co (305).JPG

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Comma”