October 2015

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: October 2015

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote:...and amazingly 2 male Brown Argus,one that was tiny !
That's one hell of a sighting for late October, Allan.
Catteraxe

Post by Catteraxe »

Superb day on the Gower yesterday (20th). An excellent walk along Rhossili beach to Hill End and then back to Rhossili over the downs. Very few butterflies about but did spot a Red Admiral and a Wall on the downs.
David M

Post by David M »

Catteraxe wrote:Superb day on the Gower yesterday (20th). An excellent walk along Rhossili beach to Hill End and then back to Rhossili over the downs. Very few butterflies about but did spot a Red Admiral and a Wall on the downs.
That's an interesting sighting, Catteraxe.

I've never seen Wall Brown at Rhossili before. I will pay more attention next time I visit.
Catteraxe

Post by Catteraxe »

David M wrote:
That's an interesting sighting, Catteraxe.

I've never seen Wall Brown at Rhossili before. I will pay more attention next time I visit.
Hi David,

It also took me by surprise (pleasantly) as I wasn't expecting to see a Wall. It was right on top of the downs as you ascend via the National Trust gate opposite Hill End campsite entrance. There is a steep path that leads to the top of the downs arriving at the remains of an old red brick building. Both the RA and the Wall were close by.

Kevin.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello all,
Hi David,the two Brown Argus ,from last weekend,as you say ,was quite a late sighting,but not unusual at Dungeness,i think I,ve seen them later on a couple of occasions,and I know that Hoggers reported one in his diary a few days later than mine,we,re hoping for some better weather tomorrow(Sunday) and may have another look there.
Today we made a half hearted attempt to see a Rough legged Buzzard,thats been around the Scotney gravel pits,on the Kent/Sussex border,never a very easy place to find parking,gave up in the end,but we did see the large flock of Feral Barnacle geese,and half a dozen Egyptian geese,on our way back across Walland marsh,we noticed that the Common buzzard we disturbed ,from a post on the way across,was still in exactly the same position,on the ground when we came back !
Ended up in Dymchurch,where I,d been volunteered to dismantle an old shed for the in-laws,on opening (or should I say lifting off)the door I notice
in the far corner about a foot off the floor,were 4 hibernating Peacocks,i was able to remove a couple of boards and move them to a safer place(hopefully)
Regards Allan.W.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

On Friday 23rd I got a call that a freshly emerged female Long-tailed Blue (found by Neil Hulme) was showing at Beeding Cement Works in West Sussex. With the light fading fast, I decided to wait for better weather. Another call the following day confirmed it was still in the same spot, but the weather was still cloudy and cool, so I gambled on a further delay. Sunday 25th October dawned bright and sunny, so I set off on the 40 minute drive with high hopes. Arriving at 9.50am, I was greeted by the sight of a group of enthusiasts huddled around a patch of Everlasting Pea, pointing cameras.
Long-tailed Blue, Beeding Cement Works, Sussex 25-Oct-2015
Long-tailed Blue, Beeding Cement Works, Sussex 25-Oct-2015
The butterfly was still there and everyone was waiting for the hazy cloud to clear so that it would open its wings. It gave a brief show and then hopped onto the grass at 10.55. Shortly after, it flew up into a small tree where it basked for a while before it flew again and was lost from sight at 11.05.
Female Long-tailed Blue, Beeding Cement Works, Sussex 25-Oct-2015
At 11.07 a fresh male was found basking on Everlasting Pea just a few metres away on the roadside verge. At 11.40 it flew up to a higher perch and was finally lost from view when it flew again at midday.
Male Long-tailed Blue, Beeding Cement Works, Sussex 25-Oct-2015
I left the site at 2pm after adding a Small White, Red Admiral and Comma to the sightings list.

Thanks go to Mark Colvin and Neil Hulme for keeping me in the loop :D

Vince
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Lovely reasonably fresh Small Copper at Petworth Park yesterday,about 20 yards in at the New Lodges entrance.
Regards
Dave Browne
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Six Small Coppers in the dunes at Holkham, Norfolk this afternoon were a treat but a single slightly worn Brown Argus was a first for me this late in the year. Am I correct in assuming it is a third brood?
Wolfon
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Plenty of Sunshine here in Kent on the 25/10/15 :wink:

A few Butterflies on the wing too, 5 species were seen, those being - 1 Small Copper, 1 Peacock, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 2 Large White and at least 4 Red Admiral (3 were seen together, chasing each other!).

Several photos, none of these images are cropped...Location - Kent.

Cheers Paul.
25th-October-2015-to-600c.jpg
25th-October-2015-to-600d.jpg
25th-October-2015-to-600e.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The mundane species are getting overlooked in this Blue Bonanza.

One definite, perhaps two, Red Admirals today 30th in gardens (Logie Steading) to the south of Forres, Moray.

Nearby is a sign to the splendidly named Half Davoch. I haven't yet located the village of Full Davoch or Quarter Davoch.
I suspect "Half" is in fact "Haugh" which is a low lying meadow. Any comments from our Scottish members?

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

I'm envious of all the butterflies reported over the past couple of weeks, as I haven't had the chance to see any!!

Hopefully, this abnormally mild weekend will give me the opportunity to put that right.
web4160

Post by web4160 »

Two Red Admirals and a Speckled Wood at Walton Common in North Somerset today.
David M

Post by David M »

Grrr. Sadly, a thin layer of cloud persisted over the Gower all day today meaning butterflies were conspicuous by their absence.

A shame, because even in the cloudy conditions it was 15c.
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

What a Halloween!!!! Visited Seaton Beach near Looe, Cornwall & walked along the undercliff at the back of the beach this afternoon 2:55pm - 4:10pm & saw - 12++ Large Whites all flying eastwards, 1 Small White, 1 Small Copper (fresh) and 8++ Clouded Yellows!! Temperature 17 o C & light S/SE breeze! Fantastic sunny afternoon!! Refused to pay £2.50 to park so just squeezed into a space on road and enjoyed FREE PARKING there too!! Bonus!! Cheers all.......Lee Slaughter. (y) :-)

Return to “Sightings”