September 2015

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Re: September 2015

Post by Jack Harrison »

18 September Lethen (near Nairn) and Findhorn near Kinloss. It has been a cracking late summer day with long periods of sunshine, light winds and 17C.

Local buddleia near home, two Peacocks and a Red Admiral.

Finhorn village, one Tortosieshell.

Findhorn dunes, one elderly female Common Blue prospecting plants to lay on. No Graylings (presumed over).

And the one that "got away" over the dunes: a “white” flying very fast and steadily in a straight line heading east and parallel to the coast. The “jizz” was totally wrong for often-common GV White. I have yet to see either Small or Large White in this area I have inspected the widely-grown Nasturtiums on several occasions and have never detected feeding damage. Had this sighting been on the east or south coast of England, I would have easily been persuaded [on account of the fast direct flight] that it was the white helice female form of Clouded Yellow. But surely not here in the north of Scotland (although there are some dots on the distribution map)?

Jack
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Had a couple of hours at Dungeness today ,still plenty of Small Coppers about ,we counted 25 in all ,most in pretty good nick ,with one or two real beauties, I found a pair today ,something I,ve never found before ,well pleased ! Saw a female Clouded Yellow near the lighthouse, a pair of Meadow Browns ,and a couple of singles ,good numbers of Small Heath,2 Red ads; 4 Small Torts ,and single Green Vein ,and Brown Argus
DSCF2401.JPG
DSCF2412.JPG
DSCF2406.JPG
NickC

Post by NickC »

The small coppers in the first two shots look fabulous, thanks for posting them.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Sunny day so decided to visit Sheepleas meadows between Guildford and Dorking. Was hoping for Small Copper and possibly Clouded Yellow like last year, but it wasn't to be. In spite of the summer feel with it being mid September there were fewer butterflies, the Meadow Brown being the most numerous. After that it was the remnants of a Chalkhill Blue colony of around 2 dozen with males and females in roughly equal numbers. Other butterflies seen were singletons: a Brimstone and a Comma, both fresh out of the can examples. The Meadow Browns were past their sell by date as it were: faded but intact. The Chalkhills were beaten up to the point of being barely reconisible. Despite their batterred state there was no sign of them slowing down in their old age. I could do with a bit of that :wink: .
IMG_6026 Brimstone (male), Sheepleas.jpg
IMG_6064 Chalkhill Blue (male), Sheepleas.jpg
IMG_6073 Chalkhill Blue (female), Sheepleas t.jpg
IMG_6080 Meadow Brown (male), Sheepleas.jpg
Low afternoon sun reflecting colour in an orb web, Autumn's approaching
Low afternoon sun reflecting colour in an orb web, Autumn's approaching
Phil
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi All.
Thanks for the comments Nick,glad you liked them! Cracking weather today ,down here in Kent,we were torn between a trip to Rye Harbour ,just over the border,and Kingsdown Leas ,near Deal,more in hope than anything else ,with Long tailed Blues in mind,we plumped for Rye harbor, a few small clumps of Pea here and there,but no joy! hoped for a few Small Copper,as well ,but after a good search, turned up nothing !! in previous years we,ve seen a fair few,but not today. In fact we only managed a couple of Small Heath,and a handful of Small White, so back to our old favourite again ,which never disappoints.....Dungeness ,another Cloudie ,this time a male(after yesterdays female),and about a dozen Small Coppers,all but one immaculate and a couple of Small heath. Dave Walker the obs,warden was out and about,half looking for Long Tails as well,
he saw one at Dunge in 2013. Regards Allan.W.
DSCF2475.JPG
DSCF2478.JPG
DSCF2480.JPG
NickC

Post by NickC »

You're spoiling me now Allan! Lovely shots.
CJB

Post by CJB »

Good afternoon UKB'ers,

A window of opportunity opened for me to swing by Durdle Door on Friday and the weather was perfect for our fluttery friends.

I was really hoping to find a Lulworth Skipper or two, which would be a lifer for me, but sadly I was either too late or particularly unobservant. That said there were a large number of other species around, including significant numbers of fresh Adonis Blues.
The Next Generation
The Next Generation
Others seen: Common Blue, Meadow Brown, Large and Small White, a solitary Clouded Yellow, a handful of Wall Browns. The trip was well worth it although I was very sad to be eluded by the local speciality!

Please let me know if I was unlucky or had missed the boat.

Flutter on!

CJB
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Had a quick look in at Queensdown Warren (Kent) this last Sunday, with very few species seen on the wing.
Still good numbers of Meadow Brown, 3 tatty Brown Argus, 1 female Chalk hill Blue, 1 female Common Blue, 1 Red Admiral, several Large Whites, 2 Green veined Whites, 1 Comma, 1 Peacock...best of all though, were at least 6 Small Coppers, some of them "super fresh", some a bit worn.

Some photos, cheers Paul.

PS. Good numbers of Dragonfly on the wing lately, and plenty of Common Lizards about too(but not at Queensdown Warren).
20th-September-2015-to-600b.jpg
20th-September-2015-to-600a.jpg
20th-September-2015-to-600c.jpg

A Common Darter Dragonfly (uncropped).
20th-September-2015-to-600f.jpg

An adult Common Lizard, joined in the background by a Juvenile (born 2015). uncropped.
20th-September-2015-to-600d.jpg
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

I love the composition on that lizard shot! 8)
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Never mind the Arcadian Flycatcher - there was another radiata at Dungeness today..!
IMG_4027.JPG
Best wishes,

Hoggers
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

another radiata at Dungeness today..!
Does anyone know if radiata is genetic or environmental (eg temperature shock at crucial stage as I believe causes some aberrations in blues)?

Is there any evidence of a greater proportion of Small Copper aberrations in late broods? That might (or might not) point to an environmental cause.

Jack
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

dilettante wrote:I love the composition on that lizard shot! 8)
Thanks very much, i spend quite a lot of time each year, observing/photographing UK wild Reptiles.
The adult lizard had just eaten a Spider, an the juvenile lizard was being cautious/timid in the background.

Cheers Paul.
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

CJB wrote: I was really hoping to find a Lulworth Skipper or two, which would be a lifer for me, but sadly I was either too late or particularly unobservant. That said there were a large number of other species around, including significant numbers of fresh Adonis Blues.

Please let me know if I was unlucky or had missed the boat. CJB
It does seem too late, although with the late spring there might have been an odd straggler as Lulworth Skipper does have a long flight period. I've been to Durdle Door/Lulworth Cove in the height of the flight period and not found them, only finding a few roosting at the bottom of Bindon Hill late in the day, so you still did very well with the Adonis, etc
CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi EB,

Thank you for the response.

Maybe I was unlucky, but as you say, I was very fortunate with all the other species around. It was also my first time there so I didn't head for anywhere specific, which might have been my undoing.

There's alway next year! I took my tally to 49 species which I have captured on my iPhone with two new lifers this year (SSB and DGF).

Flutter on!

CJB
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alright CJB? Good news about the Adonis. I think it was a bit too late for the Lulworths although they do hang on at Durlston slightly later. I've tried sending you some maps and details on places to visit for Lulworths at Lulworth but your PM script is disabled :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Jack,
Concerning the numbers of Small Copper abberations,in later broods , a personal observation from watching,Small Coppers down here at Dungeness,is that yes,you do tend to see many more in later broods ,particularly the third brood,the commonest ab; being the blue spotted (Caerleopunctata), with others ,Radiata, extensa, obliterata,
Bipunctata and Schmiddti have also been seen,i believe Hoggers ,our Copperman down here is also of the opinion,that the third brood also turns up more abs; as for the reasons for this I,don,t know,but I do think that the sheer numbers of Coppers on the wing during peak periods sometime seeing a hundred plus on good days ,wheras you may only find 3 or 4 individuals at most other sites (admittedly not all sites),the probability of turning up something unusual is not surprising. regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Plenty of Pierids on a lovely, sunny day at Mumbles Head, Swansea, today.

Over 20 Small Whites pottering about, particularly around clumps of valerian on the sheltered sea wall. Half a dozen Large Whites too, but once again, I saw no GVWs.

Up on the hill, there was a pocket of ivy growth where I saw 5 RedAdmirals, 4 Painted Ladies and a solitary Tortoiseshell.

Two Speckled Woods also seen, but Common Blues appear to have now wound up for the year.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have sometimes noticed the practice of mentioning an obscure locality which probably means nothing to most of us.

So in keeping with tradition, I report a pristine Small Tortoiseshell at Cloddymoss (near Snab of Moy) today 26th September.

Jack :evil:
David M

Post by David M »

Eight different species seen today on a lovely afternoon on the Gower coast.

Highlight was my first female UK Clouded Yellow of 2015, and she was sufficiently interested in nectaring to allow me to take some images (unlike the male seen a fortnight ago in Pembroke):
1CY2(1).jpg
Those seen were:

Red Admiral 10-15
Speckled Wood 8-12
Small White 2
Comma 1
Small Copper 1
Meadow Brown 1
Small Tortoiseshell 1
Clouded Yellow 1
Scott Barron

Post by Scott Barron »

28th September: Upton Towans, West Cornwall.

11 species spotted on a sunny but blustery afternoon walk:-

Speckled Wood (16), Meadow Brown (24, inc 1 pair in cop), Common Blue (1f), Small Tortoiseshell (3), Gatekeeper (1f), Brown Argus (1m), Small Copper (5), Large White (2), Painted lady (1, very faded), Small White (4) & Red Admiral (4).

The Brown Argus was a very fresh looking individual, could it have been a partial 3rd Brood?

Return to “Sightings”