September 2015

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

September 2015

Post by David M »

Always a bit of a depressing month for me, but occasionally surprises can turn up, and who knows, maybe Long-Tailed Blues will provide an exciting postscript to the 2015 season.
Matsukaze

Re: September 2015

Post by Matsukaze »

9 species so far in the garden - Large White; Small White; Brimstone (female, nectaring on the buddleia and being endlessly harassed by male whites); Holly Blue; Gatekeeper (several females still on the wing, ignoring the buddleia and enjoying marjoram and summer savory instead); Peacock; Small Tortoiseshell; Painted Lady (2 freshly-emerged, nectaring up on buddleia); Red Admiral; Peacock.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

David M wrote:Always a bit of a depressing month for me, but occasionally surprises can turn up, and who knows, maybe Long-Tailed Blues will provide an exciting postscript to the 2015 season.
You must have a crystal ball. A Long Tailed Blue was seen and photographed at Dungeness today near the gorse about 20 metres West of the Old Lighthouse. The Observatory Warden and a number of us joined in the search to re-find, but without success. The photo is available and will be posted on the individuals blog.
The search was hampered by very poor weather, which may be why it was resting, but hopefully will show again on the next suitable day.

Something special must have happened today, for apart from a decent number of migrant birds there was also large numbers of the migrant moth the Vestal. I found 9 in an area about 10 metres square. I know that the Observatory Warden and others also found good numbers. 15 were in the moth trap. The fall of Vestals must have totalled hundreds across the peninsular today. At least 2 Hummingbird Hawk moths also seen.
Brian Arnold

Post by Brian Arnold »

A Long-tailed Blue has also been seen and photographed in Dorset on 29th August - not by me unfortunately!- See Dorset BC website Gallery page - http://www.dorsetbutterflies.com/gallery/
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Two photos of a female holly blue on heather and ivy in my garden today. Not often is the upperside seen so well. :D Ian
Attachments
Holly blue (2).1.jpg
Holly blue (1).1.jpg
Last edited by Ian Pratt on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Another radiata at Dungeness today
IMG_2624.JPG
Best wishes

Hoggers
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Just spent a delightful half hour in a patch of Knapweed on the steepish slope of a south facing embankment below Stafford Castle. By British standards, it was heaving with butterflies. Painted Ladies, Peacocks, Small Torts, Large and Small Whites (including one pair attempting to mate), Speckled Woods and even a couple of late Gatekeepers. Certainly the best show I've seen in the UK this year. The Vanessids were all very fresh and I stood quietly while they danced and nectared around me. Reminded me of Septembers of 65 years ago.... Better go and have a cup of tea and a lie down.... :mrgreen:

Tony M.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Returned this afternoon from a week in Dorset where I saw all the species that I expected to see. Reports as usual will be in my PD in due course once I have sorted through the many photos taken during the week.

Meanwhile, to jump ahead a little to this afternoon, once we had unpacked and settled in I had a little nose around the garden and noticed half a dozen or so Speckled Wood were fluttering about including at least three different females.
The female below stood out from the rest as being very pale...a bit worn and faded but she looks like she was an unusually pale individual to start with. I have seen many faded Specklies before but never one that looks like this.
Unusually pale female Speckled Wood - Coverdale 05.09.2015
Unusually pale female Speckled Wood - Coverdale 05.09.2015
I took a load more photos of this individual (and the other Specklies) as she fluttered about the garden which has added to the pile of photos for me to sort through. I just need to do some catching up now.

Cheers,

Neil.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

On the Dorset coast today, a dark vanessid fluttering out to sea, and on three occasions landing momentarily on the sea surface before flying up again. After a while it veered back towards land and was lost to my sight flying over the beach towards the coast. Why was it landing on the sea?
David M

Post by David M »

11 different species seen in just over 4 hours at West Williamston in Pembrokeshire on Saturday 5th September:

Speckled Wood 30-40
Small Tortoiseshell 15-25
Small Copper 8
Brown Hairstreak 6
Red Admiral 5
Common Blue 4
Hedge Brown 4
Large White 3
Peacock 3
Silver Washed Fritillary 1
Comma 1

54 Brown Hairstreak ova found too, which is pretty good going. A most enjoyable day in spite of the damp start:
2BHupps(1).jpg
2BHuns(1).jpg
jenks

Post by jenks »

4 and 5 September 2015 ;

As the season draws to a close I decided to spend a couple of days down in Wurzel county reasoning that this would be my last chance to catch up on some species and also best chance of migrant birds dropping in. The morning of 4th was spent in Lulworth walking both Bindon Hill to the east and the hill to the west of the cove. Weather was cloudy and cool, only Meadow Brown, Hedge Brown and a few Small Heath being active. One of each of Common, Chalkhill and Adonis Blue were seen. Hundreds of Martins and Swallows were passing over heading out to sea and a moment of excitement came when a Hobby dashed past trying, and failing, to catch one. The afternoon from 13.00 to 16.30 was much brighter and warmer and I spent this time at Durleston Country Park. Here, Adonis Blue vied with Meadow Brown as the commonest species seen, with good numbers ( 10+ ) of Hedge Brown, Small White,Small Heath, Common Blue. A couple of Large White and Speckled Wood and 2 Holly Blue in the Ivy by the bridge, singles of Marbled White, Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Red Admiral, at least 3 possibly 4 Clouded Yellow on the lower slope leading down to the lighthouse and 1 Wall Brown. My first and only Wall seen this year ! I used to see these along the Welsh coastal path but this year, zilch. No Lulworth Skipper seen.

An overnight stay and 5th Sept was spent at Portland Bill searching for migrant birds ( Wryneck, Nightingale and Wheatear seen ). But the highlight for me was a Death`s Head Hawkmoth found early morning sitting on a window sill of the Observatory. A bit worn and tatty, the death`s head marking was almost rubbed off, but very much alive and the first I`ve ever seen. They are HUGE, and I can confirm what I`ve read that they squeak like a childs toy when picked up !. Have a look at the Portland Observatory website for a photo of the moth sitting in the hand.

So, probably my last trip of the season and a day to remember. Not a butterfly but lovers of lepidoptera will appreciate a spectacular moth as much as any butterfly. Question... do any butterfly species squeak ?

Jenks.
jenks

Post by jenks »

That website for those interested is www.portlandbirdobs.blogspot.co.uk.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi all,
Had a brilliant few hours at Dungeness today,Good numbers of Small Coppers on the wing including several "Blue Badges",but no sign of the Radiata that Hoggers found ,talking of Hoggers we bumped into each other around the moat and had a good natter on all things Copper,he'd already counted 29 ,when we parted company ,good to meet him,also we counted 4 Hummingbird Hawks ,seem to be quite common at Dungie this year,and also had 6 Painted Ladys,always nice to see,we checked up on the Wasp Spider cocoon we found last week,i'm not sure quite what happens with these cocoons,do they over winter ,or are they likely to emerge this year,don't know nothing about spiders !
There was a Bus rally at Dungeness today(see Hoggers page) nice to see some of the old double deckers from yesteryear,there was certainly a lot of people taking pictures ,from all angles ,trying to get the lighthouses in as well! I dropped Lynne at home'and decided to have another couple of hours,at nearby Orlestone forest, was really pleased to find a Clouded Yellow male flying in one area ,several Red ads; ,2 SmallCoppers, several Speckled Woods including an AB; Saturatior (I think) ,surprisingly not a single
Meadow Brown,its normally good for late ones here,a few Migrant Hawker Dragonflies amongst the Common and Ruddy Darters,and 3-4 Hornets,strange,a few years back i'd always wanted to see a Hornet,now they seem to be everywhere!,much the same as Buzzard I suppose,about 20-25 years ago i'd have to travel to the west country to see them ,now I reckon there the commonest bird of prey around here. Regards Allan .W.
DSCF2188.JPG
DSCF2153.JPG
DSCF2094.JPG
DSCF2124.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

An hour spent this afternoon at Bracelet Bay and Mumbles Head in Swansea saw good numbers of both Small and Large Whites.

Speckled Wood, Hedge Brown, Meadow Brown, Common Blue, Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Peacock & Painted Lady all put in an appearance too.

Shame we had to wait till 6th September for 18c temperatures, coupled with cloudless skies and becalmed winds too!
NickC

Post by NickC »

Very happy to report that my insert-friendly planting in my north-east London garden continues to pay dividends, along with regular dead-heading prolonging the flowering. Today saw two painted ladies and various whites making use of the buddlejas, and a couple of holly blue flitting amongst the ivy (which, as you can imagine, doesn't need my help to spread everywhere).
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Clouded Yellow at Haydon batch in north Somerset today - my first of 2015 - along with good numbers of Common Blue and Small Heath.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Had a brilliant few hours at Dungeness today wrote Allan.W.

Sorry to have missed you today at Dungeness. I am normally around the Observatory area but today we spent the morning/ early afternoon checking Dengemarsh Gulley, and the Everlasting Pea on the ARC pit for any sign of the Long Tailed Blue. Alas, it was not to be, even Common Blues were in very low numbers.

With regards Meadow Brown at Hamstreet, we undertook a Butterfly transect in there today and only recorded one. It does seem like another year is over for the species at Hamstreet. Brimstone and Red Admiral is king at the moment on our walk with very little else.

Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello all'
Sorry we missed you as well Dave,there were a lot of people about ,ie Birders,Bus enthusiasts,photographers and the like,as you know. Had another look in Orlestone today ,and as you say,it was all about Red Admirals(10+) including 2 ab;Bialbata,not that unusual I know but still good to see,two Comma,2 Peacock,about a dozen Brimstone,mostly males,2 Battleworn male Common Blues,these little Blue beauties are surely the butterfly of the year ! several Speckled Wood,from warn to pristine,but sadly no sighting of the ab; from the weekend,noted several Hornets as well. Regards Allan W.
DSCF2244.JPG
DSCF2219.JPG
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Was fortunate enough to find me second Purple Emperor caterpillar [second instar] of the autumn today - hard work though - only one in four hours of searching!
Kind regards
Mark
Purple Emperor Caterpillar
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
EricY

Post by EricY »

Small Heath mating pair Holme NWT Sat 12th
Small Heath mating pair Holme NWT Sat 12th
Mating pair Small Heath @ Holme NWT Saturday Sept 12th. 2nd brood I presume. Eric

Return to “Sightings”