Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Hoggers

Post by David M »

Tortoiseshells are usually pretty common in my 'neck' but I've thus far seen very few second brood individuals. Hope that changes soon!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hoggers, we've still got tadpoles in our pond too :wink:

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just spotted your Coppers Hogger's and they look Great, love the Clouded Yellow on the flower, I like to see butterflies on Flower heads Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

The Coppers of Dungeness were red hot today
IMG_1540.JPG
Highly active and difficult to keep up with!

Numbers are on the up: I counted 42 today
IMG_1443.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG
IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1500.JPG
IMG_1507.JPG
IMG_1512.JPG
So hot out there I felt in danger of melting
IMG_1521.JPG
IMG_1530.JPG
IMG_1542.JPG
IMG_1544.JPG
I saw 7 Painted Ladies and a Clouded Yellow in amongst the Small Coppers. I liked this minimally marked individual
IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1553.JPG
And before retreating from the glare of the sun I sat down just to watch the Coppers at play
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1525.JPG
Wonderful!
IMG_1543.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Small Coppers as always Hoggers, especially the minimally marked one as you said :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

When I got to Dungeness this morning it was very warm and stuffy but dull with none of the brightness of yesterday to get butterflies up out of their roosts.

Luckily for me the sun eventually came out strong, and when the sun comes out so do my favourite butterflies
IMG_1639.JPG
Amongst them was this one,a fresh blue badger but with less colour to the forewings than usual
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1598.JPG
IMG_1621.JPG
I knew that rain was on its way so instead of doing a Copper Count I decided to do a Copper Watch.

I found a male
IMG_1699.JPG
And sat down to see what he got up to.

The answer was soon clear : he got up to a lot! He had fight after fight with another male
IMG_1672.JPG
IMG_1677.JPG
Sometimes they'd break off for a rest but soon got at it again
IMG_1688.JPG
They twice flew out of my view but would return separately then start fighting again. I got the strong impression that a battle for territory was going on
IMG_1692.JPG
In the end only the Copper I'd found to begin with returned from one of these punch ups
IMG_1702.JPG
So he held on to his territory and the other male moved on.

I was delighted to see my favourite Small Copper behaviour: the Stem Walk
IMG_1659.JPG
IMG_1660.JPG
IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1663.JPG
The male will suddenly leave his perch and visit several near-by plants, walk down them head first whilst quickly tapping his feet against the stem.They then return to the perch.

I've seen many males do this. If anyone reading this knows why they do it, or has a theory, I would love to hear from them!

The sun didn't last, it grew dull again but I'd seen some great things and counted 22 Coppers including these two ( one of which has a lovely hindwing orange bar)
IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1725.JPG
I wonder: is it me watching them, or them watching me?
IMG_1651.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

More Coppertastic stuff Hoggers, I love that last one...watching me, watching you :D

Cheers,

Neil

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hello Neil, I'm glad you enjoy my Small Coppers!

Today was a wonderful day for a Copper Hunt after a week of torrential rain and cool temperatures. In fact it's been so miserable I feared that when I got to Dungeness I wouldn't find any Small Coppers at all. I need not have worried
IMG_1729.JPG
IMG_1730.JPG
IMG_1738.JPG
IMG_1788.JPG
Some very very Coppery indeed
IMG_1913.JPG
IMG_1916.JPG
But what to make of this greasy moth-like Copper?
IMG_1756.JPG
IMG_1764.JPG
IMG_1767.JPG
If she's worn, the wearing looks uniform
IMG_1786.JPG
I found a mating pair
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG
He looks most pleased
IMG_1829.JPG
This male, however, was given the brush off
IMG_1889.JPG
(you can see the female fluttering her hind wings whilst raising her fore wings - I wonder if it's her behaviour that sends him the cold shoulder message, or whether she's wafting a chemical signal at him?)

I watched perching males
IMG_1789.JPG
And the inevitable punch-ups
IMG_1869.JPG
IMG_1871.JPG
IMG_1872.JPG
I had lunch with a male Copper. His territory was a small patch of shingle surrounded by brambles
IMG_1948.JPG
And like other males that I've observed he would suddenly break off from watching to investigate plants growing close by. However, there was no grass or other tall and slender plant to hand, only brambles , so he didn't do the "heads down stem walk", but simply flitted from one thorny bramble to the next.

I counted 68 Small Coppers today
IMG_1954.JPG
Also saw several Painted Ladies, Red Admirals and a couple of Small Tortoiseshells
IMG_1852.JPG
Not many of them about this year.

It was good to be amongst the Coppers again
IMG_1917.JPG

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi ,Hoggers,
Obliterata ,again ,I reckon, loved to have seen it when fresh !,i wonder what caused the greasy appearance? and a pair ,something I,d really like to find! never seen a pair I,ve also noticed the "heads down,walk down the grasstalk,and must admit I find that a bit baffling as well ,you,ve got some new additions to the Dungie insect regulars ,namely Sickle bearing bush cricket,and Italian Tree Cricket,so you may stumble across these,on one of your jaunts! great observations and pictures as usual. Regards Allan.W.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hello Allan, I've seen many males do it (but never a female). If all males do it then surely it has a purpose. I've not found it mentioned in Thomas and Lewington.

This afternoon I visited a different part of the Dungeness area, Denge Quarry. Plenty of Coppery habitat and so I wasn't surprised to find Small Coppers!
IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG
IMG_1963.JPG
Sprinkled more thinly than in the Power Station area but nonetheless very much in residence
IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_1992.JPG
IMG_2001.JPG
Also a fresh Brown Argus
IMG_2032.JPG
And a fly by Clouded Yellow
IMG_2046.JPG
The terrain near the quarry is typically sparse, but I noticed that the recent rains have benefited the Sorrel, which is growing very green and lush.

I watched this chap
IMG_1997.JPG
give himself a wash and brush up
IMG_1998.JPG
I saw 16 Small Coppers around the quarry
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2016.JPG
IMG_2030.JPG
So well worth a visit
IMG_1980.JPG

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello again Hoggers,
We were at Dungeness today,and amazingly the second Copper we came across ,was your ab; from yesterday! not a similar one,but the same one,right down to the scratch marks on the hindwing,we saw about 20 Coppers in all ,including a couple of blue spots ,still good numbers of Common Blue,one or two faded Brown Argus,Painted Ladies,SmallTorts, various Whites ,and a few weather beaten Meadow Brown including a pair,glad you had some joy at Denge Quarry,must say i'm not familiar with this spot . Regards Allan.W.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Hoggers

Just having a top up of Small Coppers :D
I have still only seen a grand total of 3 this year :( , all of which were this month and each in a different location.
Could you please send a few over this way :lol:

David M

Post by David M »

Fresh Brown Argus at this time of year is highly notable, Hoggers!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Allan, Denge Quarry is just along that road which turns left shortly before the right turn onto Dungeness Road. The land all around it is open to the public.

All the Brown Argus I've seen for the last couple of weeks have been on their last legs so I was very surprised to find a fresh one yesterday, David.

Jack, I'm sending you a Small Copper
P1060946.JPG
First Class, naturally!

Last sunday I spent some time watching a male Small Copper at Dungeness. Today I thought I'd go back to see if he was still there
IMG_2101.JPG
He was! Very much more battered than when last we met but still occupying the exact same spot
IMG_2102.JPG
So he's held that territory for at least 7 days.

(Incidentally, you can see in the photos just how lush the Sorrel looks right now: tender and juicy for all those lucky Small Copper caterpillars! )

I get the feeling that female Small Coppers have a tough time of it once mated dealing with unwanted males. It must be very draining and because the female often retreats deep into the brambles and other vegetation, the cause of wing damage etc.

I saw several females today having to deal with this problem
IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2079.JPG
IMG_2080.JPG
I've now become used to the females behaviour on these occasions; fluttering her hindwings horizontally whilst holding both forewings vertically upwards (reminding me of a displaying turkey!)
IMG_2082.JPG
The males nearly always seem to simply switch off when confronted by such a display: they may pursue briefly but then will freeze allowing the female to toddle away and then the male will fly off, leaving the female in peace
IMG_2084.JPG
I counted 47 Coppers on my walk today
IMG_2051.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2087.JPG
IMG_2095.JPG
IMG_2100.JPG
IMG_2105.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG
IMG_2120.JPG
IMG_2127.JPG
IMG_2111.JPG
Including a lovely blue badger
IMG_2149.JPG
Although some have become worn to a degree, most are fresh
IMG_2128.JPG
IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG
And enjoying the return of the fine weather
IMG_2121.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hoggers I'm still enjoying your Coppers, no sign of them here yet, good job I saw them earlier in the Year at Southport.Goldie :)

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hello Goldie, glad you like the Small Coppers! And I hope you get some near to you soon.

I spent a pleasant couple of hours this morning chasing Coppers at Dungeness. Although glorious fresh butterflies are still to be found
IMG_2193.JPG
(and I particularly liked this chap with blue badges and a lovely round black spot on his wings
IMG_2285.JPG
)

The number of worn individuals is definitely on the up
IMG_2248.JPG
IMG_2259.JPG
IMG_2269.JPG
Which leads me to wonder just how much longer this generation will last.

I watched a female sunbathing when she surprised me by exuding a milky blob from her abdomen before immediately flying off. It's not something I've seen before.

This female went into her "cold shoulder" routine even though the near-by male was intent on nectaring and had paid her no attention whatsoever
IMG_2311.JPG
You can see her adopting the "Turkey Strut" pose in this next photo
IMG_2314.JPG
Blackberries serve as wonderful perches for the posing males
IMG_2239.JPG
IMG_2272.JPG
But this female was imbibing from them
IMG_2222.JPG
IMG_2227.JPG
IMG_2230.JPG
IMG_2233.JPG
IMG_2235.JPG
I also watched a male fly from blackberry to blackberry, tapping his feet quickly against each one (reminiscent of the "stalk walk" behaviour I've seen before).

I counted 40 Small Coppers today
IMG_2294.JPG
IMG_2254.JPG
IMG_2277.JPG
IMG_2295.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Absolutely beautiful Butterflies Hoggers, especially those on the berries wether their a bit worn or not :D
Did your flowers you bought last year produce any Butterflies for you :?: I hope so Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks Goldie. My Wallflowers are still going strong but the Black Eyed Susans didn't survive I'm afraid. Plenty of Buddlias but so quiet this year! Hardly any Small Tortoiseshells. I keep waiting for them to appear but it's getting late!

Best wishes

Hoggers

David M

Post by David M »

Hoggers wrote: Plenty of Buddlias but so quiet this year! Hardly any Small Tortoiseshells. I keep waiting for them to appear but it's getting late!
I was thinking likewise till last weekend, Hoggers, when I found 3 dozen Torties on a large patch of creeping thistles in Pembroke. By now, thistles have usually gone over, but we're a little behind where we were last year, so I wonder if the vanessids are still able to find sufficient nectar-bearing plants in wild areas rather than having to come to gardens to look for them?

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Coppers as always Hoggers :D :mrgreen: Larkhill still has Blues showing well so I'm still awaiting the final brood of Coppers as they're usually out after the Adonis :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”