Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Pauline

Post by bugboy »

Chance looks very content there :)

So the cats, well your mystery plant looks like another Garlic Mustard to me so the small cat could well be a Small/GV White (it could also be a number of other things...), the purpley coloured one is a Sawfly larvae of some kind :)

With your Emperor pupae, I know some people overwinter stuff in fridges but I would just be tempted to leave them outside in a sheltered spot where they wont get submerged or predated, they are afterall designed to handle our winters :)

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I've got a lot of catching up to do Pauline - and you've been so busy you're not making it any easier for me Pauline :wink: Great Painted Ladies, Cloudies and Brostreaks :mrgreen: and I agree with the others on the ID of your birds - Sparrowhawks and Whitearses :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I have to agree with the others - those Clouded Yellows are lovely, and I am even more envious of the Hairstreaks! Great shots. :mrgreen: :)

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline, just seen your Clouded Yellow and Brown Hairstreak photos, lovely images :mrgreen: :D

All the best,

Neil.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great shots of CY and BH Pauline, you worked hard for them :D

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Buggy. I shall take your advice re pupa. I hadn't realised Garlic Mustard could get so big - the leaves are huge :shock:

Call a spade a spade, why don't you Wurzel :wink: :lol: :lol: Whatever they're called they were lovely little birds! :D I'm glad you liked the butterfly shots - I had a smashing time finding them, just pity about the wind!

Thank you Neil, Dave and Mike - really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Great to bump into you and Cathy Mike - hope you got lucky. Of course not every visit results in shots of the target species and I notice I am neglecting the more common butterflies although they are so attractive in their own right. A few shots below from recent visits to Noar Hill:
P1620669ad.jpg
P1620757ad.jpg
P1620782ad.jpg
P1620672ad.jpg
I noticed a mating pair of Meadow Brown where one had a beautiful oily sheen on the upper wings, which were promptly closed on my approach. Despite a long wait the wings remained tightly closed:
P1620702ad.jpg
I watched a courtship display of a pair of worn and ragged SWF which continued for 6 minutes on a plant before they took to the wing in the usual style:
P1620746d.jpg
I was delighted to see Small Coppers on both days and was privileged to watch one ovi-posting:
P1620786bd.jpg
P1620790ad.jpg
P1620800ad.jpg
It was while I was watching the Small Copper that I noticed this Sorrel covered from top to bottom with eggs -far more than it is possible to show. Has anyone any idea what they might be?
P1620700ad.jpg
On the moth front I have now decided to purchase the 'on loan' trap. I am well and truly hooked - and I have even been known to look twice at a micro (if it is a striking individual :lol: ). My main complaint is that it is very time consuming - at a time of the day when I haven't much of that to spare. However, it is like unwrapping a birthday present - not knowing what delights you will find but always different. Just a few from recently which I have tried to identify but I may be wrong:
P1620029ad.jpg
Black Arches
P1620098ad.jpg
P1620110ad.jpg
Brown or Yellow Tail
P1620037ad.jpg
P1620051ad.jpg
Grey Dagger
P1620067ad.jpg
Pebble Prominent
P1620055ad.jpg
Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing
P1620012ad.jpg
P1620125ad.jpg
Canary-shouldered Thorn

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Photos Pauline of the Brown Hair Streaks, I wish I could get a shot of just one like Yours :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Can't help you with the Cat's not my strong point , love the photos of Chance they make you want to hug him, hope the fox helps him Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking moth shots Pauline, they are very time consuming which is why I only have a passing acquaintence with them :wink: Careful with the brown/yellowtails as they can produce a realy irritating noxious substance :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

The camouflage on that last Thorn moth is superb.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Goldie. Chance loves cuddles and you can be sure he is getting plenty of them right now :D

Thank you too Wurzel - I had no idea about that; I'll be sure to take care if I trap any more :shock:

Isn't it just David! For such a brightly coloured moth it certainly blends in well.

Today I was undecided as to where to go. I had 2 places in mind - both for very different reasons. In the end I almost didn't go to either because of the strong wind which I knew would ruin a lot of my shots. I eventually opted for Noar Hill knowing that it might be my last visit here this season. I walked up the lane checking out likely areas on the way without any luck but almost as soon as I went through the gate at the top I spotted my target. At first I thought she was a Gatekeeper as she flew up from the ground, flew a couple of yards and landed low down in the vegetation again, giving plenty of photo opportunities. Unfortunately, a group of about 20+ walkers chose this moment to go past and although they were careful and quiet the butterfly did not like it and took off soon after. I had managed a couple of shots first and almost got my open-winged shot but just as soon as she opened them the wind blew them shut:
P1630064ad.jpg
P1630098ad.jpg
She hadn't flown up and I quickly managed to relocate her but she seemed intent on giving me the run-around, going up and down a bank of hemp agrimony:
P1630079ad.jpg
P1630095ad.jpg
She then flew across the track and round a couple of bushes onto another patch of Hemp Agrimony. I quickly followed her and that's when it all kicked off. I was just about to take another shot when I realised about 18" away there was not one but 2 more BH nectaring on the plants - a tatty male and another female!!!! :shock: I didn't know which to aim at first :roll: Where was Hazel? Where were Mike and Cathy? I desperately needed another pair of eyes! In my panic and confusion the first female took off in the direction from which she had come, shortly followed by the second female who went in the opposite direction. I could have followed them but 'a bird in the hand' so I took a few shots of the male who was in quite poor condition:
P1630105ad.jpg
I decided to head in the direction the second female had taken and I was standing by a patch of Hemp Agrimony, scrutinising it to try to spot her when another BH landed on a plant beside me:
P1630134ad.jpg
Well, this was unreal! 4 BH and I hadn't even reached the Triangle!!! As I watched and wandered around I saw another 3, all of which seemed to be in a bit of a frenzy, quite frantic to get as much nectar as they could. They totally ignored me as they hopped from plant to plant, at times coming so close I had to step back to get a photo. Most were males in various states of wear. I took a number of snaps just to try to capture the moment and illustrate the activity as it is not something I have ever witnessed at Noar Hill.
P1630110ad.jpg
The wind was certainly hampering the butterfly activity as they were being blown about considerably; however, they didn't seem too bothered by it.
P1630118ad.jpg
P1630122ad.jpg
P1630125ad.jpg
P1630127ad.jpg
With all the running back and forth, up and down, I was hot and thirsty so decided to call it a day and stop of at the local pub for refreshments. Just before I left I checked the Triangle again and I think those eggs might be starting to hatch. Moths? Surely someone can hazard a guess at what they might be given the sheer numbers?
P1630160ad.jpg
I did see quite an attractive moth close by:
P1630166ad.jpg
together with some lovely ST and a gorgeous Clouded Yellow. It didn't stop for a photo but I suspect it was the one seen by Hazel a few days ago as it was the lovely dark colour she described.
P1630155ad.jpg
As I reached the bottom of the lane I took my car keys out of my pocket and who should walk around the corner but Mike and Cathy!!!! Just as we stopped to say hello another lovely fresh female BH flew over our heads, across the road and landed on some Cow Parsley. I was just about to take a shot when a wasp buzzed her and she flew over the other side of a hedge, bringing my total for the day to 8 - the most I have ever seen down low at Noar Hill in one brief visit.

I guess for now I shall just have to be satisfied with open-winged shots taken in a previous season:
P1200346ad.jpg
P1200440ad.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

So you say you're jealous of my Brown hairstreak encounters and then you write this!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Excellent shots of the Brown Hairstreaks Pauline, considering the windy conditions you did really well :D BTW we saw no BH in our five hours at Noar :roll: apart from the one we saw near your car :o

William

Post by William »

Cracking Brown Hairstreaks, Pauline! For the moths, the second is Yellow Tail (It has the single brown dot on the otherwise white wing, which Brown Tail lacks), and the third is one which generally goes down as a dagger 'aggregate' - the protocol for species that cannot be told apart with out dissection and examination of the genitals (such as Grey and Dark Dagger). Good luck with the moth trap - they're a lot of fun :)

BWs,

William

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Pauline, wish I'd been there :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Nothing but rain here today, Ugh!
Glad to hear Chance is doing well Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Pauline,
My computer is running out of mrgreens ! I think i will be camping out at Noar Hill next year.
Lovely stuff ! Lovely images !

OH! i have one mrgreen left and you can have it :mrgreen: :lol:

TREVOR.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Brostreaks Pauline - just the thing to cheer me up when I'm in Wet...sorry West Wales :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

The photos weren't great Buggy (worn butterflies and a strong wind not a great combination) but that was a first for me. I have never been surrounded by so many BH in such a short space of time and in such a small area (I only covered about 25% of the main area). It is not something I will forget - thank you for your comment. Pleased your wallet was safe and sound :D

You are very kind Mike and I am really sorry that you didn't see any more. I felt sure that you would after that female flew over our heads and landed near my car (Buggy isn't the only one who can claim the title of BH whisperer :lol: :lol: ) Perhaps they were just as fed up with that wind as I was but the drink at the pub was lovely :D

Thank you William for the compliment, the ID and the information - it is much appreciated. Loads of stuff in the moth trap last night and no doubt at sometime in the near future I shall not be able to resist posting a few shots, but I am getting almost as far behind as Wurzel :wink: :lol:

I always love to hear from you Goldie and I, too, wish you had been there as I could have done with another pair of eyes.

Thank you Trevor and thank you for the pm. I shall be pleased to show you round Noar Hill next season :D

Cheers Wurzel - raining here too today ....... if that's any consolation :roll:

Well, I just had to go - there really wasn't any option. It was just too close - on my patch, so to speak, so I needed to check it out. On recent visits to coastal areas (Thorney Island, Emsworth, Hayling Billy line) I had been keeping my eyes peeled so how could I miss out on a potential opportunity, no matter how slim? Yes, I'm talking about the sighting of LTB at Browndown. (I hope you've got Hayling and Southsea covered Mark :lol: :lol: ). The weather wasn't great but no worse than the day when it had been sighted. John Stokes (I think that was the name) was of a similar mind and together we scoured the area where we thought the butterfly had been spotted but directions were vague and referred to 'tight grass' which was something of a puzzle. I felt sure that we must have been in the right ball park as the finder had been looking for Grayling and Purple Hairstreak, but what confused both of us was the fact that Francis (who spotted the LTB) couldn't find any Grayling whereas we were seeing loads. After an hour or so without any success the weather closed in and the rain started .......... and didn't stop for 2 days! :roll:

On the next sunny day I decided to pay a return visit (any excuse for a few hours by the the coast :D ) but as there was no sign of the LTB I spent an enjoyable time mostly watching butterflies and boats and taking the odd shot. A selection from both days below:
P1620855ad.jpg
P1620899ad.jpg
Another bird ID needed please.
P1630229ad.jpg
P1630238ad.jpg
P1630241ad.jpg
P1630249ad.jpg
P1630253Ad.jpg
P1630268ad.jpg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline,

Some more lovely photos in your recent reports, I particularly like the selection of moths a couple of posts back. I am going to be looking into moth traps over the winter months with a view to getting one for the start of next season, I am really curious as to what is flying about in my garden during the night.

All the best,

Neil.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Pauline, nice Graylings and a :mrgreen: for the open wing shot! Your mystery bird is a Cormorant :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Pauline,
I'm no Bird expert, but as Buggy say's it's a Cormorant. As for your Graylings, how they are enhanced
when on Heather!. There is colony near me, but they hunker down in the grass making it difficult to
get a decent shot.
Many thanks for the PM, and another :mrgreen: for the Grayling shots.

Return to “Personal Diaries”