Large, Orange, fast in flight, non landing...what was it?!

Discussion forum for sightings.
Testudo Man

Large, Orange, fast in flight, non landing...what was it?!

Post by Testudo Man »

Sighted a butterfly today, that i just couldnt ID???????????
As per title - it was large(Approx size of a Red Admiral) light/bright orange and dark in colour, it flew fast, it just would not land at all. Several times it slowed its pace, looked like it might land, but just kept on flying. I assumed the only time that it must of landed, was when it flew high into the tree tops. It did not glide at all, just flew strong for most of the time. I saw it on 4 seperate occasions today, i spent 6 hours on site, and it would appear suddenly through a wooded area. When i saw it the 1st time, because i couldnt ID it, i just gave chase, camera in hand, wishing it to land, hoping it would land, for that all important "record shot". The last time i saw it was painful!!, it stayed in the area for the longest time, flying past me, flying around me, then as per normal, it flew straight up into the tops of the trees and was gone. Ive given chase with all the butterflies that ive ever seen, eventually they will land...not this one, well, not on the ground anyway!

Location is a place called Queensdown Warren in Kent. Ive visited this same loaction for the last 4 Saturdays straight, spending between 4 to 6 hours on site, if anything is on site, then i will see it! 2 weeks ago, i was there, talking to a couple, and a large orange butterfly flew past me, i just took off chasing it, because you know when you see something a bit different, you give chase...i didnt see that butterfly again on the day...but Im pretty sure that i saw it again today.

It wasnt a SWF, or a DGF, or a Comma, or a Painted lady, or a Peacock, or a Red Admiral, etc, etc, etc....so, what was it?

"Answers on a postcard" please people :wink:
William

Re: Large, Orange, fast in flight, non landing...what was it

Post by William »

Hi TM,

Sounds a lot like a male Oak Eggar...

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=975

Whilst the picture is evidently of a large brown moth, in flight, with the sun shining through their wings, they do look orange. They're are amazingly active insects, flying strongly at great speed in the afternoon sun, with rapid flapping and no gliding, often up and down in a rather erratic manner, as they search out females. Certainly, they very rarely land, the only time I've ever seen them perched is in my moth trap and in heavy rain and wind.

BWs,

William
David M

Post by David M »

This insect used to cause me much frustration until I discovered what it was.

In truth, it just doesn't fly like a butterfly. Instead, it buzzes and bombs around and, like you say, never lands.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

William wrote:Hi TM,

Sounds a lot like a male Oak Eggar...

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=975

Whilst the picture is evidently of a large brown moth, in flight, with the sun shining through their wings, they do look orange. They're are amazingly active insects, flying strongly at great speed in the afternoon sun, with rapid flapping and no gliding, often up and down in a rather erratic manner, as they search out females. Certainly, they very rarely land, the only time I've ever seen them perched is in my moth trap and in heavy rain and wind.

BWs,

William
Thanks very much for this William, it looks like you may have solved the mystery butterfly, or in this case, a large Moth :wink:

Cheers for that, Paul.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

David M wrote:This insect used to cause me much frustration until I discovered what it was.

In truth, it just doesn't fly like a butterfly. Instead, it buzzes and bombs around and, like you say, never lands.
Not just me then David :) it was frustrating for sure.

Oh well, you learn something new every day...although, i have seen large Moths flying in the day time, and this certainly appeared more like a butterfly, than that of a moth?? But yeah, im ready to put this "mystery to bed".

Cheers Paul.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

When I was after WLH a few weeks ago in Essex I had a similar encounter with something large, orangy and maniacally active. At the time I put it down as a moth but after finding the Hairsteaks at the end of the day I'd completely forgotton about it. Your description sounds exactly like what I saw TM!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

We have seen Fox Moths also flying the same way in Kent, they are a lighter brown than an Oak Eggar and just as fast, they were flying over Chalk Grassland at Dover Western Docks, Oak Eggar Males are Dark Brown with lighter edges to the wings. The Females fly at night, and call in males during the day. If you ever see an Oak Eggar male settle, he will have gone down for a female in the grass.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

bugboy wrote:When I was after WLH a few weeks ago in Essex I had a similar encounter with something large, orangy and maniacally active. At the time I put it down as a moth but after finding the Hairsteaks at the end of the day I'd completely forgotton about it. Your description sounds exactly like what I saw TM!
It would seem so, these Moths are certainly large in size :wink:
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

MrSp0ck wrote:We have seen Fox Moths also flying the same way in Kent, they are a lighter brown than an Oak Eggar and just as fast, they were flying over Chalk Grassland at Dover Western Docks, Oak Eggar Males are Dark Brown with lighter edges to the wings. The Females fly at night, and call in males during the day. If you ever see an Oak Eggar male settle, he will have gone down for a female in the grass.
The only thing i would say is, this Moth was predominately orange in colour. To me, it appeared bright orange, with possible darker orange/brown secondary colour.

Return to “Sightings”