Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Re: Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Neil, there were quite a lot round the Pavilion Gardens when I was looking for the Monarch.
Last edited by Katrina on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Windover Hill

Post by Katrina »

Today I went to Windover Hill in the middle of the day. I saw plenty of Chalkhill Blues on the walk up. There was a blustery wind and active butterflies which didn't make good conditions for photography. It was very good to meet Dave Potter for the first time who told me he had seen a Silver-spotted Skipper. I stayed and located another one. I then went onto the slope and found two forester moths and four or five Graylings including a mating pair. The last one I found seemed to have a heavy infestation of mites? Also seen were plenty of Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, Dark Green Fritillaries, one of which brushed my shoulder on its flight past, skippers, a few Small Coppers and a single Marbled White and a single Red Admiral.
Attachments
DSC08583.JPG
DSC08586.JPG
DSC08587.JPG
DSC08592.JPG
DSC08610.JPG
DSC08668.JPG
DSC08712.JPG
DSC08730.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice Grayling shots Katrina and great that you found the mating pair :) That last Grayling does have quite a few Trombidium breei mites attached, but I understand that they don't appear to cause any discernible problems to their host :)

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Maximus. I am relieved to know they don't cause harm as I felt a bit sorry for the last Grayling.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Graylings and Forresters Katrina, especially teh mating pair, something I've yet to see :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

NiGood shots Katrina...and yeah! those mites look worse than they actually are...nice colour red though :wink:

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Katrina

Yesterday and Today

Post by Katrina »

Yesterday I went for a shortish trip to Steyning Rifle Range. I intended to look for Brown Hairstreaks but was unconvnced they would be out yet and spent most of my time distracted by Wall Browns. I didn't see any Brownies but saw about 10 Wall Browns, 2 Commas, 3 Holly Blues and a lot of Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns.
This morning I did an early trip to Chantry Hill. There I found a lot of roosing Skippers, some Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and Ringets and a few Chalkhill Blues and Common Blues. There was some mist and sun. I think most of the butterflies I saw had some mites on them.
I then went to Pulborough Brooks. It is a while since I walked all the way round and I was pleased to see the increase in meadow type areas. I saw a large number of active Gatekeepers, some Meadow Browns, a Speckled Wood, a couple of Common Blues, one very fresh looking Painted Lady , many Cinnabar Caterpillars and when I was leaving 5 Peacocks on a Buddleia.
Attachments
Skipper Chantry Hill
Skipper Chantry Hill
Habitat Chantry Hill
Habitat Chantry Hill
Cobweb with Dew Chantry Hill
Cobweb with Dew Chantry Hill
View from Chantry Hill
View from Chantry Hill
Meadow Brown Chantry Hill
Meadow Brown Chantry Hill
Cinnabar Caterpillar Pulborough Brooks
Cinnabar Caterpillar Pulborough Brooks
DSC08922.JPG
skipper vertical.jpg
DSC08956.JPG
DSC08968.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Katrina,

Its not often that I post comments but your early morning view from Chantry Hill is just beautiful.

Good hunting.

Kindest regards. Mark

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

"Its not often that I post comments but your early morning view from Chantry Hill is just beautiful."

I couldn't agree more. An exceptional image of an exceptionally beautiful location - one of my favourite in the UK!

BWs, Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning Skipper shot Katrina :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Mark, Neil and Wurzel. It is one of my favourite places too. Shame about the mite on the skipper.
This morning I went back to Chantry Hill but not early enough! I saw plenty of Chalk Hill Blues >100, 5 Silver-spotted Skippers, 5 Brown Argus, 3 old Dark Green Fritillaries, one Red Admiral, and lots of Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns. The butterflies were too lively for good photographs but I did get a bad photo of an aberrant Chalk Hill Blue trying interrupt a pair.
Attachments
DSC09019.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some great shots recently Katrina especially the early morning ones and the Skippers. The Chalkhill ab. isn't bad either :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Katrina

This Evening

Post by Katrina »

I went back to see if I could find the Aberrant Chalk Hil Blue again. I didn't find the same one but found another one
Attachments
09.08.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Katrina, those look like two different individuals as far as the markings go?

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your photos Katrina, Goldie :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Goldie.
Yes David different markings so a different butterfly from the morning (previous post) and afternoon. Also one normal one just because I liked it the photo

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

On Friday 16th there were 6 Red Admirals at Greenbank Garden in Glasgow.
Attachments
DSC09589.jpg
DSC09572.jpg

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Does the first one count as an ab bialbata? Read the description and it seemed to say in some places normal in females but not in England, photo taken in Scotland and I don't know what sex it is.

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

It looks like a form ab bialbata to me, but im sure others on here will know.

All things finished here in Croydon, only a male Brimstone today at Hutchinsons Bank.

David M

Post by David M »

MrSp0ck wrote:It looks like a form ab bialbata to me, but im sure others on here will know.
Bialbata it is, although the white spot seems much smaller than usual.

Hard to come to a decision regarding gender as the abdomen looks abnormally truncated.

Return to “Personal Diaries”